OT - Veterans Affairs Data Security (not...)

I know there are a number of veteran's in this newsgroup and I'm sure you've all heard the news about the SOB that lost 26.5 million veteran's records. I'll not vent about it here but you need to protect yourselves - just in case.
Start here http://www.firstgov.gov/index.shtml several good links to steer you to the Credit companies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion)
Do place a 90 day Fraud Alert on your credit records and contact your bank / Credit Unions / Credit Card company's and invoke any fraud guards they have.
I was the victim of identity theft back in the 70's while in the service. They caught the dude, but he still caused me a heap of trouble that took about 6 months to get straightened out - no fun.
Bob S.

Not to mention that sense of having been violated. That only happened to me once when somebody took a receipt from the garbage at a restaurant and charged $ 4000.00 worth of furniture on my account. It was settled quickly, but it left a nasty after-taste in my mouth which took a long time to purge. It's a problem.

That would tend to leave a bad taste in any ones mouth. I'm watching our accounts like a hawk and have implemented safeguards as per the recommendations. Not much else you can do except bitch at the VA at this point - which I did....
Bob S.

taken home. I work in the VA, although my pay comes from a university. I'm what they call WOC (WithOut Compensation), which has the advantage that I don't feel the least inhibited when I get a desire to tell the chief of research what I think. But that's OT.
We get emails galore and at least once a year training about the importance of data security. Yet there isn't a system to watch what goes out the door?
--
Best regards
Han

Rick,
They have changed that and it now effects even those before 1975 according to the link I provided in my first post. If it's changed again (to '79) then I haven't heard or read that as of yesterday. I got all my fraud alerts and the wife's (dependent's are also involved) in-place. Not a big deal to get it done and involves a phone call to an automated system for the credit report - about 4 minutes of answering questions... "Say or press 1 for a yes, or 2 for no..." type replies.
I did vent to the VA though......I feel better but I'm sure the dude or dudess that reads the email is gonna choke on their coffee this morning. I fully expect my next check to be bent, buckled or otherwise distorted over that one.....;-)
TGIF,
Bob S.

Interestingly, your service number was your SSAN for a number of years, and the PX required it on you check when it wasn't.

Another old fart.....;-) Now - can you remember your original service number?
Bob S.

Yes.
--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.
"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message>

Ditto ... after having to sound it off for three times a day for 8 weeks before you could get in the chow hall door (after running/crawling the obstacle course to said door), there is no way I'll ever forget it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Certainly. Still have my picture from basic, too. Has the number underneath.
I was lucky enough to have had four service numbers.