OT very OT Mitigation Problem

For those of you who were laughing and having strokes over my Hazard Mitigation posts, here is how one incident went down:

Plan written about a year ago, tested with exercise, rewritten, everything perfect. Scene was at a public park boat docking facility. Boat one was transferring diesel from main fueling tank to tank on boat using an automatic transfer pump, plan says to stay with boat when refueling (sign posted on tank). He leaves to go get a sandwich or something, pump does not shut off, 150 gal of fuel in water at boat dock ( at about $5 a gal). 911 call made, onsite responders start response, main responders show up. Booms put out spill contained, evacuation of other boats at dock started, everyone taken to new location as per plan, perfect. Cleanup crew arrives and starts to clean up spill, one boat owner dumps about a gallon of Dawn in to water to keep oil off boat before he leaves, dredges brought in to take care of oil at bottom of lake, everything under control. Boat two was out in lake and decided to go to dock to pick up something, comes to booms and unhooks them to get to dock allowing spill to drain out into main current of lake. New booms deployed to contain new spill, boat two owner detained and told he was to be charged with cost of recovery for all oil past original spill. Time to contain original spill 3 hours, time to contain second spill 3 additional hours. cost $10,000 per hour + equipment. Government will pay big part of tab for boat one and none for boat two. Mistakes made, allowing untrained humans to have anything to do with any mildly hazardous material or any equipment with moving parts. Not following plan and leaving pump running and not having security in water outside of boom area. Immediately after this event ended, report of liquid Pig Manure being sprayed on cars driving along the interstate. Response made and problem resolved. Have never written a plan for that or even considered it before.

So no matter how hard I work to write a plan or how perfect it is, some one will do something to make it worthless, Thought you might enjoy the story Leon.

Wood connection: dock was made of wood

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Fri, Jul 6, 2007, 2:05pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (sweet=A0sawdust) doth burble: Plan written about a year ago, tested with exercise, rewritten, everything perfect.

Dream on.. I spent over 5.5 years helping to develop, and writing, emergency action plans. It tkakes a lot more than that for someting that'll work out - unless it's something very simple.

I missed the point ofthe boat story.

J T

Dream on.. I spent over 5.5 years helping to develop, and writing, emergency action plans. It tkakes a lot more than that for someting that'll work out - unless it's something very simple.

I missed the point ofthe boat story.

Just the latest event to take place.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

It was a good story. Rules for staying with the boat could have made things worse had he stayed in the boat. slipped, fell, and knocked himself out because the fuel nozzle did not shut off. Leaving the boat did not cause mother nature to kinck in and spill fuel.

I guess that the fuel nozzle should be over hauled and double checked by 2 separate people before each refueling. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Not worse just an EMS run and he would be charged more for the spill.

Leaving the boat did not cause

I will add that to the revised plan, something else for them to ignore.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

I did not want to get graphic but perhaps he bleed to deeth.

Reply to
Leon

Simple:

Before they had you the keys to a stink boat, you have to be certified brain dead.

If Darwin mechanisms only didn't take so long.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett