OT us soldiers re-enlisting at a high rate?

Page 4 of 5

are
Today
fall
before,
would
tip
96%
was
numbers
Let's try a little logic here. If the raw numbers are available, I can't find them. But we know that the military has a high demand for troops, right? Otherwise, they wouldn't be calling up Guard and Reserve troops. So, I think it's safe to assume that their goal is a reasonably high percentage of the total deployed. So, 96% of a big number is still a big number. Not as big as 106%, but still big. Of course, you'll argue that the goal must have been about 50%, right? That makes perfect sense.

were
short
isnt
defend
answer
backing
up
convince
Translation: I don't have any basis for my argument, but that won't stop me from shooting off.

are
you
other
You're the one who supports a near-immediate pullout and tells us you know more than anyone in a position of authority on the subject. I'm just trying to find out if you're just blowing smoke up everyone's keister (or is it "kiester"?) or if you really know what that will mean on the ground.
todd

The
title
the
be
think
backing
me
is
trying
todd, you have nothing to say. you started with very high re-enlistment, it fell down to only high, and you havent made your case at all.
goodbye.
randy

According to this source:
<http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/jun2004/stop-j04.shtml
As for the mood in the army itself, retired US Army Col. David Hackworth, a vocal critic of the Pentagon and the White House, suggests the reality is "exactly 180 degrees out" from what official sources are saying about re-enlistment rates. He asserts, based on "what hundreds of soldiers have told me during the past few weeks," that troops "are voting with their feet" and preparing to leave the military in large numbers.
--
If everyone was re-uping, the stop-loss orders wouldn't be necessary.

scott

writes:

feet"
So, your source is a disgruntled colonel who isn't even in the Army any more?

Maybe they just feel like they need every person that they have available. The reason we got onto this whole business in the first place was Randy asserting that the troops believe they are wasting their time. I asserted that based on the re-enlistment numbers I heard that there wasn't a lot of evidence for that. After looking for backup on the reported numbers, I can't find any good, raw data. But let's say for the sake of argument that the re-enlistment rate is not what we want. Based on soldiers I have heard that have been in Iraq, they are proud of the job they're doing and believe it is important. That said, many of them, especially Guard troops and reservists who didn't think they would be deployed for as long as they have, want to get back home, and I don't blame them for that. For those men and women, I don't believe it is a reflection on their commitment to our cause as it is a desire to get back to their civilian lives. I'm sure few of them would rather be in Iraq than back home, but most of them understand they are doing a very important job.
todd

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

Yet another: <http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2004/040614-army-re-enlistment.htm
scott
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:05:33 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

...and a few counters:
<http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/wars/a/draft.htm <http://usmilitary.about.com/b/a/067605.htm
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

These are both about the air force. The discussion, IIRC, was about soldiers (i.e. army), not airmen (i.e. air force).
scott
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:08:19 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

The second is about the Air Force. The first link was about the military in general. Take a minute and read all four parts in the first link.
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
Doug Winterburn responds:

The first link was about a draft, written by a former AF 1st Sgt., who served his entire time in the volunteer military. Given that combination, I'm not at all sure he's the best source for an opinion stating the draft will never come back. He can't see how it would be done, but, then, he doesn't appear to know how it WAS done for upwards of 30 years. When it comes back, expect the same screw-ups and dissatisfactions and complaints, tripled, because women will now be included.
Charlie Self "When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight D. Eisenhower
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:17:14 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

I think it boils down to the fact that we have as many people in the military as the budgeteers (congress and senate) are willing to support. And if more are needed, there are enough volunteers available without reinstating the draft unless we're going to double or triple the size of our military.
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
Doug Winterburn responds:

From what I've read, some major increase in size is both necessary and justified. We have troops scattered all around the world, in not spots, warm spots and chilly spots. Some of those troops have been in place for over a year, and some are being returned for a second year, with no indication of when the rotations might be over. This kind of thing was semi-acceptable during WWII, when draftees were signed up for the duration plus six months, but in today's more truculent society, it isn't working all that well. Again, from what I read.
The obvious cure is the simplest, and it is expensive: more troops. That's not to necessarily put more troops on the ground in various hot spots, but it is to put different troops on the ground, giving those who have been there, done that and worn the T shirt something more than 8 or 10 or 12 weeks as a reprieve.
Congress may or may not approve more money for such a step, but sooner or later, constantly rotating people into situations where they may get killed is going to affect morale much worse than it already has. When that happens, you end up with a de facto draft anyway--which we have at least in part now, with retention of people who were on their way out, and by calling up inactive reservists. It's only a short step to a draft, which is probably going to be accompanied by a slowing of pay raises, slower promotion, etc. as beginning cost cutting measures.
Charlie Self "When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Doug Winterburn provides:

Air Force reenlistment rates are always significantly higher than those for the Army. There are a variety of reasons for that, including more technical training, no need for grunts, less need for front line discipline, and on. Oddly enough, Marine Corps rates are also higher, usually significantly.
I'm not sure reenlistment rates reflect satisfaction within the military as to their mission as much as they reflect the economy at a particular period, along with visible opportunities to advance within any of the services...added to pride of service. Reenlistment bonuses help, too, though not as much as the military might like.
Oddly enough, the Air Force and Navy are both planning reductions in personnel numbers next year--I seem to recall the Air Force getting ready to drop 5600 people from their overall roles. The Army is looking to, as they say, turn "Blue To Green". They want anyone over E5 who is released in the program.
For a general look at military matters, try military.com.
Charlie Self "When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Well, not to diminish their efforts, but becoming a rifleman is hardly a career choice. It's a young, single man's field.
Promotions and bonuses tied to the "needs of the service" are used to overcome shortages in the skilled fields, as well as lowering the testing threshold for entry into them. This almost guarantees an ebb and flow as incentives fill a field at a certain level, then shed personnel at the next level because it is overmanned. The service has an up or out policy which denies reenlistment to those who fail promotion, even though it will not promote unless the position exists.
Add the outside world into the equation, and it becomes even more complicated.
Then there are the purely bone-headed policies which drive people out. One of the best co-pilots I even had was an EE by training. As the end of his commitment approached, the Air Force was offering bonuses for EEs, since there was a shortage. Long story short, the wings he wore were more important than the "needs" of the service. With no shortage of UPT grads to take his place, he could not work in his preferred field, but left the service. Even happened to a navigator I flew with. All he wanted to do was change aircraft, not "waste his expensive training."
I, for one, am amazed at the levels they're able to maintain with long unaccompanied tours and more in the offing.

<http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2004/040614-army-re-enlistment.htm
Wed, Jul 14, 2004, 12:25pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@spammyspam.com (xrongor) puts out: <snip> claim that us soldiers are re-enlisting <snip>
OK, let's clear something up first. By the "us", are you meaning as in part of a group, meaning that you are a soldier (or military) also? Or do you mean "US" or "U.S", as in United States?
Yeah, sometimes people don't know what you mean anyway.
JOAT
We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience. - Nanny Ogg
(xrongor) puts

to be perfectly clear (after the dave fiasco im going to try and make sure to be as clear as possible), todd was/is claiming that the U.S.(United States) soldiers are re-enlisting at a 'high'rate ..... in the sentence you are referring to, i was repeating what he had claimed. so yes, the us means U.S.
randy
Some caps and stops would not hurt a better understanding (and make your opinion carry more weight perhaps.)

call me silly, but if someone thinks what i have to say carries more weight because i use more caps or write U.S. every time instead of us (and lets face it, it wasnt that far of a stretch, JT got it on the first go...) then that person is likely to think someone else has something more important to say if they use a nice font. then we have to make letterheads and fancy sigs to promote our image of worthiness. im not going to change the way ive posted to bbs and newsgroups for 15 years just for an aura of respectability.
that said, you're probably right <g>
randy

sure
you
means

While I'm the last person to post a grammar, speeling, or punctuation flame, I must say that it doesn't make your message more likely to convince anyone if you can't be bothered to at least attempt to get those right. Hard to tell if the writer is ignorant, or just careless, but either way it doesn't add anything to the effectiveness.
Before you jump all over me for this, I've more than several times said the same sort of thing to people I agree with - "You're not helping our cause with that sort of message" kind of posts.

Your choice, of course. The reader's choice on how to interpret the lack of whatever, of course.
I can't speak for the Army and what their personnel force is at or headed, but the Navy has just released a message allowing personnel to exit the service 12 months early due to overmanning concerns. What was really unusual about this message was that there were very few restrictions placed on any of the Navy "ratings", just about any and all could be eligible. Re-enlistment is up, recruiting up, reserve requests to convert to active is up (which has all led to promotion rates dropping) and a need to let some people go. But like I said this is the Navy not the Army.

are
Today
fall
before,
would
tip
96%
was
numbers
were
short
isnt
defend
answer
backing
up
convince
are
you
other
Wed, Jul 14, 2004, 12:25pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@spammyspam.com (xrongor) puts out: <snip of a bunch of stuff, mostly speculation it would seem, that I'm totally ignoring> for starters the title of the article is: 'iraq duty deters re-enlistment'. this should be the tip off right there. <snip>
Dunno about that. I reenlisted just before I voluntered for Nam. In fact, might have reenlisted to volunteer, don't really recall. All of the people I had deep respect for had been, at least once, some twice, and several were going back, for second, or third tours. They thought pretty highly of me, so seemed like the proper thing to do at the time. Found out it was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I would suspect the reasons for a lot of the present day reenlistments are for similar reasons. It's always nice to to get out of the house for a bit.