OT: (US) Corporations are powerful entities

Page 1 of 5
I just want to share a recent thought I had.
As my subject line suggested, Corporations are powerful entities. Perhaps too powerful?
Corporations have no conscience. Would it be too much to demand to ask that they not sell-out their American laborers at the cost of giving up some of their profit?
I don't know the numbers, but maybe slightly less profitable corporations and more employment would make for a happier nation, as a whole, with more tax payers.
Personally, I think I have more to lose than to gain by such a change. But I'm willing to put the idea out there for discussion. I don't have alot of time to spend defending it. And it's just a thought. So maybe, if you are inclined, explain why you think it's a bad idea.
Signed, Disturbed by current socio-economic trends

Some corps are not so bad, others ruthless. Current CEO wants to make his reign good so he skips long term results in favor of today. Boards of Directors applaud, stockholders rejoice. Flaw though, many of us with a 401k are the stockholders that want to see the big returns. We should be complaining to the boards and watching CEO compensation that had risen too much over the past 15 to 20 years.

Haven't you heard? SCOTUS deemed corporations "people" last June. <thud>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

Agreed.
Talk to:
A) The American public, who chose the less expensive product, giving the lawyers (aka: Speaking Weasels, or SWs) the idea.
B) The corporate stockholders who demanded -much- higher profits.
C) The fine, altruistic and patriotic SWs who made all this possible.
A smaller government wouldn't have taken so many taxes, leaving the People more money to spend on US products. Call your CONgresscritters and demand a smaller gov't today! Or just wait for Gunner's cull.
Stock tip: Buy stock from manufacturers of Quick Lime and disposable Body Bags today!
-- EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY. --anon
Aw, Hell. Gimme CHOCOLATE! --LJ
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 05:00:18 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:
<snip>

Quick lime is amazing stuff, 20 Lbs. will completely eliminate the stench of a 200 pound carcass decomposing. But you knew this. :)
basilisk

So will 3,000# of hogs, or so I've read. <burp>
-- EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY. --anon
Aw, Hell. Gimme CHOCOLATE! --LJ
Bill wrote:

Er, no. Countries - and corporations - should do what they do best. In the current scheme, other countries are better (or are becoming better) at manufacturing than we are.
The First Wave was when humans stopped being hunter-gatherers and started farming. This introduced humongous changes to civilization, for example, people had to stay put to tend their crops. New problems had to be solved, such as grain storage and vermin containment.
The Second Wave was the industrial revolution; another massive change in society. Religions changed. Specialization of jobs, institutions such as schools and hospitals sprang up.
We are now starting on the Third Wave* - the era of knowledge. The person who knows how to do something will be way ahead of the person who doesn't. And here I don't mean small skills like how to sharpen a drill bit. Suppose someone came up with a method of converting corn to aluminum! We wouldn't have to mine and transport bauxite from South Africa to smelting plants in the U.S. (or elsewhere), then transport the raw aluminum to factories where it's needed.
What? You might say. It's crazy talk to think aluminum can be made from corn!
Yeah, well, they once said that about turning corn into auto fuel.
Point is, trying to hang on to a dying wave is similar to the Luddite movement at the beginning of the industrial revolution.
----------------------- * The Third Wave by Alvin Toffler (Amazon.com product link shortened)50824146&sr=8-1&keywords=the+third+wave
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 07:58:47 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

And the obvious side effect of that is to raise the price of corn, lower world grain supplies, and reduce gas mileage.
I have a motorcycle that gets 50mpg on gas with alcohol, 60mpg without. So it's 60 miles on one gallon without, 50 miles on 9/10 of a gallon with. That's assuming 10% alcohol. So I'm actually burning more gasoline with the "cleaner" gas.
But some farmers and politicians are making out so that makes everything OK.
carrying a cross.
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 13:44:15 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

In my experience, they're never happy, rather like a junkie.
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 23:01:03 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Disgree. There's always another piece of the sky falling, for them.
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 17:23:40 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

They enjoy being depressed? The only day they've ever been happy was the day Michelle was proud of America.
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 17:15:48 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

My Tundra lost 15% in mileage when they moved to oxygenated (10% ethanol) fuel. That means the gov't just got an extra 15% tax raise, which they're throwing away to the folks growing corn for ethanol. It's one of the few 100% Lose/Lose/Lose situations.

Yeahright.
-- EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY. --anon
Aw, Hell. Gimme CHOCOLATE! --LJ
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 18:51:15 -0700, Larry Jaques

And Monsanto and Cargill probably posted record profits.
Mike M
On 10/20/2012 11:25 PM, Bill wrote:

Your can have that today! Relocate to China, Russia, Venezuela, Cuba, pick the communist country of your choice. Or Vote for Obama again.
How about allowing the government to tell you how to spend your money. Better yet, weekley go to your local pan handler and give him 10% of your income. Do you have a conscience? You see your suggestion sounds good to you because it would be the corporation giving up profits, not you. So guess what, when corporations give up profits they spend less, on employees. If you have a maid and you give the pan handler 10% of your income would you hire more staff to clean your house? Perhaps you make too much money. Perhaps if the government took more of your money and you had less to spend you would be happier.
Can you see what you are suggesting yet?
Leon wrote:

Not completely. I realize that the value of stocks would go down--and that's why I said I had more to lose than to gain. But "47% paying no taxes (and many collect various forms of welfare or unemployment)" is not good either. The other thing I said is that maybe corporations are too powerful (i.e. influential). I get the strong impression some wouldn't hesitate to "buy elections". I don't like for social policy (environmental and other laws, etc.) being up for sale. I don't claim 100% vision..and that's one of the reasons why I consulted the group.
Leon wrote:

I'd rather take a 50% cut in my average stock market returns than see our currency disintegrated by hyper-inflation (as a result of a *ridiculous* national debt). I'm "all ears". What do ya'll propose?
On 10/21/2012 10:27 PM, Bill wrote:

Lets start with the spender in chief. He and the social democrats have doubled the national debt since taking office in 2006.
Let start terminating all of the people added to write the hundreds of thousand pages of obamacare, and the people who were hired to enforce it.
Then terminate all of the Tzars and thier departments that obama added.
Let significantly cut the EPA, especially those working on new and wonderful regulations.
The the Department of Transportation. Eliminate all departments working on projects like the one that is causing all of the traffic signs to be change to because they do not have he right mix of capital and small letters.
Eliminate any group in any department that is working on projects similar to the above.
This list could go on for a long time.
Bill wrote:

I went through that (hyperinflation) in Mexico 20, 25 years ago. Troublesome but not a big deal to me since I had dollars. Can't say I see that in the US; not as long as other countries have *some* confidence in the dollar, at least.
What I *do* see is more of the same...a steady albeit smallish annual decline in the buck. They tell us it runs about 3%. (Not in my book...not looking at, say, the recent increase in the prices for cars, food, gas and numerous other things.)
Still, a smallish annual decline isn't the end of the world as long as one is working and your wages more or less keep up with it. Of course, the increased wages bring on still more inflation but that's life. Where it can be a real killer is when you *stop* working and try to live on what you have managed to accumulate by spending years being frugal.
I don't think it is going to go away. Not as long as we have fiat money. And I can't see us returning to representative money...the feds have a whole bunch of debt to repay and the only way to do that is to keep the presses rolling and repay with cheaper dollars. Get used to the $20 Big Mac.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/22/2012 10:00 AM, dadiOH wrote:

There have been three Presidents that when they entered office, the stock market decrease. Every one knows the obama's effects on the market, 2000 point drop (25%) in three months.
Jimmy Carter was another where the market dropped. The inflation rate was running in the double digits during his administration, under President Reagan the inflation was brought under control.
This was good for my retired parents, who had no debt. The inflation significantly increased their savings. Which under the under the much lower interest rate, stretched it further.
The third President to see the market go down was Woodrow Wilson.
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:12:17 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

One of these days, both liberals and conservatives will have to admit that it makes very little difference to the economy whatever the president, or any other part of the government, does.
Boom and bust are with us always. Presidents claim the booms and blame the busts on someone else.
Of course they make noises about what they're doing to "fix the problems" because the voters expect it.
carrying a cross.

Yes, but sometimes presidents can set the tone and sometimes they can even stimulate Congress to do the right thing. As the majority here knows, I favor another Obama stint. The secret policies of Romney/Ryan can and will change on a dime, 180 at a time. They are to be avoided as much as possible, since Romney/Ryan WILL push the country into another depression.
--
Best regards
Han