OT: Understanding UPS

Hi Y'all, Well, I finally ordered a DC and it's coming UPS ground. I've been tracking it via their website. This is what I don't understand...there are two packages destined for this location, yet they're taking separate routes. At last check, the lighter is near Cleveland Ohio, and the other in Columbus. Why is that? Is this common practice for UPS. Needless to say I'm shaking my head. Comments? Joe (in a quandary)

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Lots of reasons why they might get separated. Maybe one of them just filled up a truck. Maybe they were sorted by size, or weight. If you don't pay for fast shipping, the boxes go whenever the computer says there's space for them. If there was a truck going to Cleveland and it had space for one of the two boxes, it took one of the two boxes. If the next truck with space happened to be going to Columbus...

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I live in central Missouri about half way between Kansas City and St. Louis. On occasion, I track packages that come from the west. They pass through Lenexa KS, and then along I-70 past my town then on the Earth City MO(just outside St. Louis) then back to central Missouri. They do, however, arrive on the stated day. I have even had packages show loaded out for delivery, spend all day on the truck, return to the depot then load up the next day. It would seem they were holding the package so that it arrives on the assigned day and not one day earlier. UPS better get it's house in order because, according to my UPS driver, DHL is now beating out UPS on air service but UPS still has the lead in ground service.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

The ones that get me are the ones that end up in East Overshoe for a month while they figure out who screwed up the paperwork and where they're supposed to go, and the ones that arrive at the UPS depot a few miles away and then go on to Boston or wherever and come back.

Then there are the ones that show as "delivered" but if so it was't to me.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have had orders split into several separate packages. Sometimes the parts will be shipped from different locations. If breaking an order bothers you, you can specify "Do not split order" on the instructions. This can prevent frustrations with backorders. How your purchase is packaged is determined by the vendor, not UPS. In the end, all that matters is you get undamaged items that you ordered, right? Congrats on your DC purchase, and I'm sure your lungs will thank you.

Reply to
Phisherman

I tracked a package once that started in Vermont, went to New Hampshire, then Kentucky, then New Hampshire again. From thereit made more or less steady progress to Washington state.

Another package was scheduled to arrive in nine days. Tracking it, I saw that it arrived at the local office by the end of the second day. Foolishly, I expected it to be delivered on the day following. Nope. They held it in local storage for another six days so that it arrived on the promised ninth day. :P

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

I have had that happen to me, but I found out that if it is in the local hub, then you can call and pick it up, provided that A: Its not too far from you, and B: Its not stamped to be delivered on a specific date, IE: Wife's harry potter book, they wouldnt let me get it early :(

Reply to
Clif

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

I've had a dispute (finally resolved in my favor) where UPS didn't deliver overnight. I had forgotten to pack my medications, and asked my wife to ship them overnight. UPS delivered a bunch of packages the next day, but my medications stayed on the truck till the next day. The mail office person had just signed for the bunch of packages without counting them, and it took a hell of an effort to track this down.

Since this wasn't the first mistake of UPS' within 2 month (I received a package that was bent (not good for T-track), and didn't receive another overnight package containing a poster I was to hang up at a meeting. That package was not even recovered. UPS finally said it had been damaged beyond repair and they had discarded it. Lucky for UPS it was not my poster.

Reply to
Han

Han wrote in news:Xns954D48E47AA84ikkezelf@130.81.64.196:

Had a similar situation, due to a death in the family, near Thanksgiving a few years back.

Needed meds overnighted to us. UPS wouldn't even talk to us.

FedEx, on the other hand, was most accomodating.

Guess who we do business with now, given a choice?

Regards, JT

Reply to
John Thomas

I've had numerous damaged boxes delivered via UPS. When that happens, I ask the driver to stay until I inspect the contents for lost items or damage. The driver is usually embarrassed and apologetic while I unwrap the items. FedEx has not yet delivered a beat up package to my address, and I much prefer them for delicate or electronic items.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have been pleasantly surprised with both UPS and FedEx when ordering various things from Amazon. I always choose free super saver. The usual estimate is that it will ship 3 days after I ordered it and arrive

8 to 10 days after. I think I have always had it within 3 business days. In a recent order the first business day was the 18 minutes between 11:42 PM and midnight.

Does posting this curse me to never receive a package on time again?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Gerdts

Only real problem I've had was when I ordered my Dell computer a couple of years ago. Tracking after the first day showed it headed to Phoenix, then to be delivered to Tucson, then myself in a couple of days. Yippee! Next day however, showed it (the computer) had now headed from Phoenix to LA (What!????) and was now scheduled to be delivered to me in about 5 days hence. After that, I watched it make a tortuous journey from Phoenix, to LA, to San Diego, to Phoenix (I think, this is a bit fuzzy), to Tucson to me. By the time I got it, it was two generations out of date. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

One thing I can't figure out is why UPS can't get my attention. Several times, I've had the experience of looking out the door and seeing nothing, then futzing around not ten feet from the door for a few minutes--once I was leaning on the door talking on the phone, and looking out again and there's a "signature required" sticker on the door. This is _only_ with UPS--FedEx, Airborne, Dominos, the lawn guy, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Mormons, the Boy Scouts, the neighbors, and everybody else have no trouble getting my attention even when I'm down in the basement with the earmuffs on and tools running, but for some reason UPS can't do it even when I'm leaning on the damned door. And the damned door has a big window in it so he can effing _see_ me standing there if he's not bat-blind.

I even wrote the CEO of UPS about this one time--the only effect was that they chewed out the driver, but when he left the next guy had exactly the same problem, and the one after him, so it seems to be something in the UPS training or hiring policies.

Where possible I tend to specify that stuff be sent FedEx just for that reason--that and one day the FedEx guy asked me if I'd like to waive "signature required", which I did and haven't had to sign for anything from FedEx since. UPS doesn't seem to have such a provision.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Every once in a while UPS can't find my house (house numbers out of order on my black).

So what they do is they mail me a postcard, through USPS, saying there is no exisiting address matching mine.

Now ... how do they figure the card is going to get to me, given that they mailed it to my address, which they think doesn't exist?

-- Andy Barss

Joe_Stein wrote: : Hi Y'all, : Well, I finally ordered a DC and it's coming UPS ground. I've been : tracking it via their website. This is what I don't understand...there : are two packages destined for this location, yet they're taking separate : routes. At last check, the lighter is near Cleveland Ohio, and the other : in Columbus. Why is that? Is this common practice for UPS. Needless to : say I'm shaking my head. : Comments? : Joe (in a quandary)

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Especially considering that the USPS has trouble finding the White House.

Reply to
J. Clarke