OT: Two parties

Page 7 of 9

Then the fact that not more "accidents" happen supports the observation that most people are "good" people. I am heartened by that. Since I have to go through a metal detector every time I enter my place of work (VA Hospital), I am reminded daily of the enormous quantity of potentially bad stuff people are carrying. Such as the brass knuckles some guy carefully put aside before going through the metal detector. He was advised that he would have to leave or surrender the instrument to the VA police. And he was indeed surprised.
--
Best regards
Han

The loop hole in Illinois is by joining your county Sheriffs reserve and meeting training requirements you can conceal carry. Except for Evanston which does not allow anyone except on duty law enforcement officers to carry.
Mark
Markem wrote:

Good point, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
The twelve or so states that have "discretionary" licensing, say by the country sheriff, are problematic. The sheriff (let's say) is often advised by the county attorney: "If you allow someone (anyone) a license and they do something stupid, there might be a civil suit filed against you." This advice exerts a chilling effect on the office holder so he is loathe to approve ANY licenses.
Still, there are advantages to having a concealed handgun license, even if you DON'T carry a gun:
* In jurisdictions where licenses are hard to get, say NY or California, showing one as a form of identification gets you special treatment. Hotel clerks, baggage handlers, etc., are wired to believe anyone with such a license is VERY well connected and they'll jump through hoops to please you.
* When asked for "two forms of government-issued identification" by some officious bottom-rung employee, merely presenting your license, fixing your adversary with a steely stare, and asking "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do you?" usually accomplishes the desired result.
* In the event that something really bad goes down, and here I'm thinking of the Watts riots in L.A., you can buy a firearm with no background checks and no waiting; the FBI National Insta-Check System (NCIS) report is waived for CHL holders.
scrawled the following:

Han, if you had more training and got a concealed weapons license, you'd know that most people don't _want_ to shoot, to take someone's life. That doesn't change just because you're armed. The legal ramifications of a shooting are extremely costly. Nobody in their right mind is going to get gun-happy. I got licensed when I moved to Oregon because I like to hike and take photographs in uninhabited areas. (5 years and no shootings yet) When you're licensed, you use the weapon as a last resort and you think 3 times before using it, even then.
Go to a gun range and tell them that you have never fired a weapon before. Ask for some tips and rent a gun for an hour. Get to know what you're afraid of. It's just another tool and you don't have to buy every tool you've ever used.
Once you've done that, you'll be a better part of the citizenry here. If you're afraid to save yourself, how could you ever save anyone else (wife/girlfriend, family member, neighbor) if it came down to that? Just one hour of weapons training could save your life. Knowledge is power, and in this case, safety. I urge everyone who doesn't have current pistol experience to go get it. When (not if) the shit hits the fan, you may well need it.

There's another reason people don't brandish weapons freely: They might be confused with a criminal. (Poor guy!)

And there's that, too. As long as there are gangs (especially in large cities) and preachers (Wright, Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson, KKK) there will be extreme racism and profiling. Why can't everyone just forget skin color? We're all one race: human.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
Thanks, Larry. Good words!
I live in urban Bergen County New Jersey. Other than beggars in NY City and a single black bear in Harriman State Park, I've never seen anything/one frightening.
--
Best regards
Han

It's the ones you don't see which are usually the problem.
If you live in Alaska, you might want to reconsider carrying. This one'll pinch buttons in your skivvies, I tell ya: (crap, I can't find the link now.)
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Yes, but I don't <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

The guy went for a walk in his residential area in broad daylight and was all of a sudden confronted by a charging 9' grizzly bear, 15' out. Luckily, he carried and had his very hot .45, killing the bear with a lucky shot before it could kill him. Pistols usually don't take down 1,000 pound bears. I tried googling it but didn't find it again.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
Lee Michaels wrote:

The "independent" voter is actually the most dependent of all.
He has no say in who the candidates will be, no input into the policies, platforms, or promises of the candidates, and, after the election, no influence with the office holder.
If you've worked for the winning candidate for, say, city council or if you've donated to his campaign, and there's a pothole in front of your house, you have POWER.
Further, when the candidate gets to Washington, it matters little whether he's a conservative, moderate, or liberal. What counts is which side of the aisle he sits on! Consider the poor "moderate (conservative)" Democrat. His VERY FIRST vote in the House of Representatives will be for Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House. The Speaker controls all committee assignments and chairmen and they, in turn, control what bills even come up for consideration.
In my view, one should pick a party closest to one's philosophy and get involved with that party or its candidates. Donate money, time, networking. Whatever.

Question: Are your really an idiot or do you just play one on the internet?
CW wrote:

Good rejoinder! At the risk of seeming even more idiotic, can we converge on whatever it was that gave you pause?
In the above post, there were two paragraphs of beliefs (the 1st and the last) and three paragraphs of facts. Do you dispute my facts or disagree with my beliefs? Hundreds of us would like to know...
Unless you have something particular in mind, it would seem you're just into name-calling. Trust me on this: you do not want to get into a name-calling confrontation with your betters.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:45:46 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

Not unless someone actually runs as an independent. Otherwise they wind up voting for one of the two existing parties and get the in vs out results.

Larry Blanchard wrote: ...

Interesting subject; wrong forum...
On 1/28/10 2:00 PM, dpb wrote:

i.e. learn to filter if you don't want to read it.
--
Froz...

IIRC, there were 33 parties in The Netherlands back in the 1960's and the 5 biggest could not form a government. You had your Farmer Party, your Christian Farmers Party, your NOT-so-christian Farmers Party, The Left, the Not-far-to-the-Left I don't recall all the names and numbers but it was a mess. I have no clue what it is like these days, but you have to be careful that a minority-fringe party suddenly doesn't hold the balance of power. That tie-breaker vote can be mighty powerful.
Robatoy wrote:

The Shas (ultra-orthodox) party in Israel has never garnered more than six seats in the 60-member parliament. Yet the party has always held at least one ministerial portfolio.
The two party system works. It's easy. When a member of the opposition speaks, you need only cry: "Shame, shame!" (or "you lie" or "not true"). Whereas when a member of your party speaks, you cry "Hear! Hear!"
Nothing to it.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:37:41 -0600, Larry Blanchard

I'm all for it. We do, in fact, have a couple of other parties but they have never been able to attract enough mainstream type of people to proper and be heard. I'll consider joining the Libertarians because I can go along with most of their ideas, but they tend to have extremists while I'm more moderate. I will remain an independent until they, or some other party, gets better.

They are not going to get "better" if everyone waits until they get "better".
I have a question:
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, WHEN IS THIS THREAD GOING TO DIE?!
I'm getting sick of ignoring the stupid thing already. (*)
Now GET A LIFE and go talk about something else, will ya?
Thank you.
(*) And yes I _know_ I can "plonk" the thread, but I don't do that, ok? I don't like clogging up my newsreader with filter rules.
And oh yes, before you start bitching me out, I just want to say I love you all, and I hope you all have a wonderful day. Now PISS OFF!
:-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Feel better? It does feel good to vent the spleen from time to time.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net