OT: Two parties

On 01 Feb 2010 14:21:57 GMT, the infamous Han scrawled the following:

It's the ones you don't see which are usually the problem.

If you live in Alaska, you might want to reconsider carrying. This one'll pinch buttons in your skivvies, I tell ya: (crap, I can't find the link now.)

-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Try a 50 caliber belt fed BMG (Browning machine gun) sometime. Extremly expensive to shoot. The army picked up the tab for me. Also for the pistol and rifle training.

Reply to
CW

Then I would have had to shoot him, something I really rather avoid.

Reply to
CW

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I know I am lucky, to an extent. I'll be real lucky when I retire, (soon) . I do think that from the emphasis on punishment for all crimes, small and large, starting in the Giuliani era, when also demographics changed, to the continued emphasis on enforcement of laws, including those governing the police, things have gotten better all over the area. I don't think that laws limiting gun possession in the urban NE limits my freedoms.

And yes, luck has a lot of importance on a single personal level. Just like driving drunk can go fine lots of times until one time it goes wrong. Too bad for the other guy/gal. I don't want guns in the hands of just about everyone. And I will let the police do their job.

Reply to
Han

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Fine. Can you guarantee that everyone who possesses a gun will get that training?

Larry, I will decide what is good for me. Right now, te absence of a gun is good. If and when I retire and also decide to travel all over the US, I might (just might) read up on whether a gun of any kind will be good for me. Like in Montana's parks, or so. Still a wish of mine to travel state and national parks, but I am getting older, so I don't know what will come of that dream.

Reply to
Han

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, but I don't .

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You do realize that it's not the job of the police to protect you? They are under *no* obligation to, even if by accident they happen to be close. For that, you are on you own.

Reply to
keithw86

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why should it be? There is no magic wand that a $100 will solve. ...though if it were required to get a license, I'd take it.

Knowledge is better.

Be aware that possessing an unlicensed (in that state) gun is illegal in many areas and only about half the states have reciprocity in their CCW permitting. IOW, because of people like you, carrying a gun around the country is problematic. ;-)

Reply to
keithw86

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:8401030d-8788-4abb- snipped-for-privacy@q4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

I figured there was something wrong with my reasoning. Exactly along the lines you mention.

So if a Texan drives up to Montana, what does he/she do with firearms?

Guys, I have been recovering from minor surgery, and that allowed me lots of time to tickle my laptop. I'm going to have to say goodbye for now soon.

It was my pleasure to et your opinions and learn from them. Keep safe and happy!

Reply to
Han

How will someone else having "training" make you, personally, safer?

If you are going to travel all over the US then a gun will land you in jail. The only people who are allowed to carry firearms in all states and the District of Columbia are employees of the Federal government whose duty requires it--no civilian is and non-Federal police are allowed by courtesy, not by law.

Why would you want a firearm in Montana's parks? If you're going to shoot a grizzly with a handgun it better be a bloody big one and you better be damned good with it, and there's nothing else there that you're likely to encounter that's likely to eat you.

Girl I know's visited every national park in the country. Never carries a weapon. She does ride an effing fast motorcycle though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If they are in a locked container he leaves them in the locked container until he gets to a range or hunting area. Texas is one of the states whose CCW is recognized by Montana, so if you have a CCW license in Texas you can carry in Montana.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So you're saying you are perfectly willing to be a crime victim secure in the knowledge that the police can then do their job. Their job is to track down and arrest criminals. One does not become a criminal until they have committed a crime. Until they do so, police have no way, nor do they have any obligation, to do anything. Say your neighbor threatens to kill you. You call a cop. The cop goes over and asks the neighbor if he threatened to kill you. He says no. The cop comes back and tells you that since no crime has been committed, there is nothing he can do but he assures you that when the guy does kill you, he will come back and arrest him. Make you feel safe?

Reply to
CW

The police? You must STILL be drunk!

Police don't prevent crime directly - they investigate AFTER the crime has taken place. Admittedly when someone calls 911, the crime is still in progress, but most of the time it's over with. Speaking as an ex-cop, I can tell you that maybe five times out of 100 we see the perp. But one hundred times out of one hundred we see the victim.

Remember the maxims: "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away!" or "I carry a pistol because I can't carry a cop" or "I have a weapon for exactly the same reason a policeman does - no more, no less"

Reply to
HeyBub

Good point, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

The twelve or so states that have "discretionary" licensing, say by the country sheriff, are problematic. The sheriff (let's say) is often advised by the county attorney: "If you allow someone (anyone) a license and they do something stupid, there might be a civil suit filed against you." This advice exerts a chilling effect on the office holder so he is loathe to approve ANY licenses.

Still, there are advantages to having a concealed handgun license, even if you DON'T carry a gun:

  • In jurisdictions where licenses are hard to get, say NY or California, showing one as a form of identification gets you special treatment. Hotel clerks, baggage handlers, etc., are wired to believe anyone with such a license is VERY well connected and they'll jump through hoops to please you.

  • When asked for "two forms of government-issued identification" by some officious bottom-rung employee, merely presenting your license, fixing your adversary with a steely stare, and asking "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do you?" usually accomplishes the desired result.

  • In the event that something really bad goes down, and here I'm thinking of the Watts riots in L.A., you can buy a firearm with no background checks and no waiting; the FBI National Insta-Check System (NCIS) report is waived for CHL holders.
Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:3qOdnasBxsy6zPXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I am priviliged to live in a place where people are generally civil. And yes, we all are vigilant and admonish teenagers who misbehave. When 3 years old, my granddaughter was escorted back to her home by a well- intentioned citizen, because she seemed to be wandering around without adult supervision. She was (with permission and foreknowledge of the people involved) on her way from her parents' home to her grandparents' home. Yes Radburn is nice:

Han

Nope. HR 218, passed in 2004 allows police officers to carry in all fifty states. See:

Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

By all means, visit our national parks. They are some of this country's true treasures. The good news is that you are far less likely to need a firearm there than in Manhattan. While violence is increasing in the parks, it is still very, very low. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Wonder of wonders, the government for once did something that makes sense.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's actually a bit more complex than that. Can't say for Texas agreements with other states for their CCW holders and I'm too tired right now to go check their state website. However a licensed Arizona CCW owner could start in Arizona with a concealed firearm, travel through New Mexico, through Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Wyoming and then Montana without having to lock up his firearm as Arizona has either written agreements with those states or those states recognize AZ CCW permits without a written agreement. However, that AZ CCW permit holder would need to lock up his firearm if his route took him through Nevada. Same with any trip up the entire left coast (after all, LA is such a safe town, there is no reason a law-abiding citizen should need to worry about being a victim there).

There are some additional nuances to this -- the CCW holder is responsible for abiding by the CCW laws within each state through which he travels. For example, in AZ, a CCW holder is now allowed to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol given that a) the establishment has not posted a prohibition next to their liquor license and b) the carrier is NOT consuming alcohol. This is not true in New Mexico or Colorado however, so the CCW holder must be cognizant of that. On the flip side, in AZ, one must have a CCW to carry a firearm in one's vehicle. In NM, a car is considered the equivalent of a home and one does not need a CCW to carry a firearm in one's vehicle. There are a number of such patchwork rules, so it is up to the traveler to determine the rules for each state.

The NRA publishes a book annually that updates CCW holders on the laws in the various states.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Just so you are clear -- the job of the police is to protect society, not necessarily you personally. This has been established by law and judicial rulings. Therefore, if you are a victim of a crime, they will attempt to get to you as expeditiously as possible. If they get there in time, that is to your good. If not, they will, in execution of their duty, gather evidence, take statements, and attempt to find the perp before he commits a similar crime. Many times, they aren't successful, so once again, they investigate the next crime scene, take evidence and continue the investigation. If you happen to be one of the victims while "they are doing their job" it's too bad for you, but useful to the job of protecting society because it provides additional information and evidence for the police to use in their investigations.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita