OT: TV Tower.

Page 2 of 2
In article

Not that I have heard (Living in the UK). Blackberry's encryption has been mentioned but there are no moves to cut them off, as there were in Iran.
--
Stuart Winsor

On 08/12/2011 10:16 AM, Swingman wrote:

OTA TV is a Mpeg2 stream so yes it isn't compressed. With the digital stream you can just save the stream to a harddrive. With the old analog you need to decode the the incoming signal which takes quite alot of processing power.
--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD
"Robert Bonomi" wrote:

Same pitch here in SoCal.
Lew
wrote

Leon,
It is nice to hear someone else who thinks the Uverse remote is crap. I have had it about 2 months and I still hit the wrong button at the wrong time. I am considering getting one of those fancy Logitech remotes that runs everything.
Steve
On 8/12/11 8:39 AM, Robatoy wrote:

BWAaaaa haha hahahaha hahaha!!! You didn't expect answers to your actual question, did you?
If you wanted to know if anyone was having any luck with OTA TV, you should've asked about how to build a TV antenna tower out of wood, then you would've have gotten all kinds of answers to your "real" question. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"Robatoy" wrote:

Used a folded dipole (5 ft of 300 ohm twin lead) for analog for years.
Got a Samsung digital TV, hooked up the dipole, and kept on truckin.
With the switch to digital, picked up a big bunch of channels.
Lew
On 8/12/11 9:39 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@w18g2000yqc.googlegroups.com, "Robatoy"

Reception is good but content is the usual US network junk. With most of the programming being reality TV, or pseudo news talk shows or sports, there is very little other that we find to watch. Public TV and the Canadian stations that we get are the only stations that carry anything worth watching.
I am a bit closer to Detroit than Robatoy (25 miles north) and use a externally mounted antenna on the a one-story part of my house.
yes.
On 08/12/2011 09:39 AM, Robatoy wrote:

On 08/12/2011 08:39 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Yes...we turned off Direct and went to OTA and netflix. I also put together a computer to be a DVR with MythTV and a Silicondust HDhomerun. http://www.silicondust.com / We also use Hulu and Boxee as other forms of getting programs. Our set-up works quite well and Netflix isn't too bad. We get about 30 channels and if I could get my antenna up about another 10 feet or so I think we could do even better. It sits at about 32 feet right now.
--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD
On 8/11/11 11:47 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Just putting the antenna in a banana tree would have been cheaper :-)
--
Froz...

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:43:58 -0400, FrozenNorth

The trees are no longer that tall. (He smokes too many of the leaves.)
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Robatoy wrote:

Plus during a storm you can get some free electricity, for a short time!
--
Gerald Ross

Don't start comparing yourself to me.
On 8/11/2011 10:47 PM, Robatoy wrote:

And if you ever get lost you only need to look for the tower! Can you fly a flag from that thing? You'll be the talk of the neighborhood, Cool find!
On 8/11/2011 11:47 PM, Robatoy wrote:

don't have a tower. I get about 2 dozen channels, all national networks, PBS, and an all movie channels, and a channel the transmit about half movies and old sitcoms.
I get the only station in town in HDTV on my office TV via Rabbit Ears! They are an electronic type - loop between the two extension type whips. When storms wipe out the satellite on HD - I switch to the same channel in analog - different angle in the sky. Then switch back.
I have and four down-links from 4 satellites for the house and shop. We get a lot of junk and will likely truncate the channels to cut the bill. Last time, they dropped the price to keep us were we were. We were one of the first in the area to get it around here.
Martin
On 8/12/2011 7:45 AM, k-nuttle wrote:

My *guess* would be that it's the cell-phone companies, and the other folks (like "Clear') selling 'wireless' (*not* "wi-fi", but stuff with 'multi-mile' range) Internet access, that have their eye on that spectrum.
I don't see the cable companies spending the money -- 'Internet TV' is already costing them lots of customers, and it's more than likely that _that_ is where most over-the-air customers would go.

We went free digital TV last year - I put up a little (2-3 foot long) $40 antenna and pointed it to the channels (see Antennaweb.org for the application to find your local channels) and it worked pretty well. But, maybe because I have a six-way splitter behind a two-way splitter, I tried a Radio Shack in-line amplifier and everything improved significantly.
I bought a larger antenna for my vacation home as it is much further from the stations. Have yet to install it as I, too, am searching GOVDEALS.COM for a tower - but, so far, they have been going for hundreds of dollars there. At one point, I received analog Free TV there with a "Standard" roof antenna I'd recovered from the trash. But, when I tried it with the new digital, not so good!
I am told that you can "gang" antennas with 300 ohm wire, pointing each toward a different cluster of broadcasting stations and improve the number of channels received w/o a rotor.
Frankly, I think we were hosed with the advent of Cable. We had free over the air TV all my life in exchange for watching the advertisements. Now, we pay for the privilege of watching the same old same old and there are more commercials per hour than ever before.
The "News" has been replaced with Opinion "Journalism" which seeks and commands great ratings and advertisers while spewing conflict.
On 8/14/11 11:30 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@v42g2000pri.googlegroups.com,

That's pretty accurate, but you left out the part where the "news" is a shill for the new network TV program.

I had NO idea what there is to learn about antennas.
On 08/17/2011 09:12 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Check out this forum Robatoy. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum /
--
All the Best & 73's