OT: TV In The Shop?

Nope. Sometimes I turn on the radio, but usually not. Then again, I usually don't watch TV in the house, either.

Reply to
Prometheus

B A R R Y wrote: [snip]

The guy who builds a direct interface between Xm2go and an iPod will be a zillionaire. Imagine listening to fresh music all day, record 5 hours of it, select what you like and transfer it to the Pod. A 500 dollar bill to the guy who makes me one. (I know it can be done via analog, but that's a lot of hassle.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Can you make change for a $613 dollar bill? ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

TV's on something interesting when doing boring milling operations, usually hgtv, dsc, milt, tlc, etc.... When thought is involved, it goes to XM classics. Very inspiring.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Channel 14, 74 are interspersed with bouts of 44. In limited doses 77 when designing/drafting.... mind you, any hint of Enya on 77 and we're back to Bluesville74. Channel 14 stays on until I can no longer tap either foot. *G*

Reply to
Robatoy

Just curious, what is considered giant?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In the US, usually 1/4 scale and/or 20+ pounds or more, there's no real standard. One organization defines it as an 80"+ wingspan. Giant scale aircraft are typically gasoline powered, while smaller craft are alcohol or electric powered. US r/c pilots who are counting on Academy of Model Aeronautics liability insurance coverage are limited to 55 pounds without a waiver obtained by demonstrating advanced flying and safety skills.

Many turbine powered aircraft are giant scale, and an additional waiver is required for turbine power. R/c turbines are a mature technology, all they require is flying skill and cash.

Outside of the US, giant scale takes on a better meaning. I've seen

300+ pound bombers with multiple multi-cylinder engines flown by multi-person crews!
Reply to
B A R R Y

Sat, Jan 6, 2007, 10:24pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nospam (Mark=A0Jerde) doth query: Anyone else have a TV in the shop?

I go to my shop to relax. A TV in the shop wouldn't allow that. When I'm working on something I definitely want to concentrate on that, not a TV. I have a radio, that comes on when the power comes on, low volume, and normally tuned to a 24 hr classical station - it's changed when they play opera, or singing - then it's classic rock & roll, or on Sunday evenings, bluegrass, When the power tools are on, I can't hear the radio. When they're off, and I'm working on something, it's a non-intrusive background. When I just sit and relax, being classical music, I don't even need to listen to it, just absorb it. I got a bit of aromatic cedar long ago (sacrifice to the Woodworking Gods, from a true believer. I'd planned on probably making something nice for the dau-in-law from it, but the smell is sooo nice, that sitting out there, letting the music soak in, smelling the light scent of the cedar, and just reaxing, that I've put off touching it for awhile. A TV in the shop? - no way,

JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also.

- Igor Stravinsky

Reply to
J T

Got one just to watch the Georgia Bulldogs on Saturdays in the fall. Considering this past season I am now thinking about throwing it out !!

Reply to
Ed Walsh

During my misspent youth, built and flew, U-Control and free flight.

Had a single channel McNab that operated on 465, but never got it operational.

One of the guys in the club got hid hands on an Piper Cub with a 72" wing span.

It also had a thermal fuse for a pop up tail if it ever found a thermal.

Rigged it up with an O&R 60 engine with a 1 quart fuel tank for free flight operation.

Out west of town was a farm field that was at least 10-15 acres and a

3-5% slope.

Rigged up about 100 ft of rubber and 200 ft of nylon to form a launch bungee.

The first flight was aborted, don't remember why.

Don't know if it ever made any other flights after that.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That is starting to sound like maybe the wrong end of the bungee let go....

Reply to
Robatoy

J T wrote: [snipped for brevity] > A TV in the shop? - no way,

TV's and telephones can be the most intrusive devices ever. Just TRY and talk to somebody whilst standing next to a TV and they will not be able to keep their eyes off the damned screen. As a media device, TV's are cool, and I watch a bit of programming (Lost is on tonight, yay). TV's are useful when performing mundane tasks like doing the treadmill for 1/2 hr. But there is no place for them in the shop.... not in my shop anyway. Too distracting/dangerous.

Robatoy