OT: TurboCad Deluxe V12

Sorry about extending this thread, folks, but; just a little more, OK?:

Your opinion seems to be the concensus in quite a few places and I suspect it's reasonably accurate. Just for the record.

Deluxe version 11 is available in many

Yeah, I did get to play around with some of them and did enjoy the time savings and ease of use for some of them. It's too bad I discoverd them; I could have gone along ignorantly happy without them had I never known they existed. I won't buy from Ebay though unless I can find it at a store I trust. With something like this I want to be certain of being able to get a refund if it's not what it purports to be. 50 here and 50 there adds up pretty quickly if one isn't careful and since I'm waiting to see if the V12 refund works ... , ain't gonna rush into it.

Turbocad

Yeah, the STS (Sold To Syndrome) is prevalent in a lot of places these days. It's spoiling a lot of perfectly good applications on top of raising their prices. Symantec comes to mind for one, and there are quite a few others. If they can't beat the competition they just buy it, depending only on their superior marketing and distribution systems to make the money for them. But the record over the last year or so has been pretty dismal - they break things even when all they mean to do is add their own names and update copyrights for crying out loud! Seems like almost no one is willing to put in a good honest day's work for an honest day's pay anymore, and the ones that are get pushed out the door.

Pop`

Reply to
Pop

The comments are mixing up the Pro and Deluxe versions. They are not the same, so don't expect Pro capability in the Deluxe version. I'm sorry for you who are having so much trouble with Deluxe v12, or is it Pro v12.1?. I am not having problems with it and, while I do not rely on solid modeling or constraints for my drawings, I do handle quite a few lines and figures each day. Nothing malfunctions significantly for me. I would like more capability, but compared with AutoCAD at the AutoCAD prices, this version of TurboCAD is a real bargain, and I throw it around pretty well.

As far as I know, IMSI is still making and marketing TurboCAD. This has been true for quite a while now. I certainly hope those of you who are having problems are calling the help facility up there at IMSI. Every time I have had occasion to do so I've received all the assistance I needed to correct the problem. I will admit that I am relatively new to TurboCAD, but not to CAD. I started with TurboCAD back 3 years ago when I purchased it for $70 at a Staples store.

In my estimation, it was pretty cheap for the ability to draw, modify, and store my cabinetry, furniture, and toy drawings.

Reply to
John Gonser

Good point, there was ample opportunity for mixup, but for the vast majority of the discussion, it wasn't relevant. Nothing I mentioned in particular was Pro-specific. Early in the discussions I gave my reasons for moving from the 7.1 Pro version to the 12 Deluxe version. Mostly that I didn't need or use the Pro added functionality any longer and about a $400 diff in price as I recall. IOW the comments didn't really get mixed up because there was almost no Pro/Deluxe specific discussion. I did find it interesting that a lot of what used to be Pro-specific in 7.1 had been moved to the Deluxe version, but that's sort of beside the point, other than alloweing me to opt for the cheaper Deluxe version. Other than ACIS & constraints and a few other niceties, the Pro version added very little I could be interested in.

You mention of the 12.1 was interesting, too. When I read the details of the 12.1 update early on, it sounded like it also included a lot of things the the Deluxe version should have had done too. I wondered whether Deluxe was based on 12.1 early on and thus needed no update, or if it simply wan't worth it to them to put the relevant changes into the Deluxe version. If that's the case, they just haven't bothered to update Delusxe 12, and it sounds from your comments that it might be, then that might explain why I was so unhappy with 12 Deluxe. I looked and looked but there was no 12.1 available for Deluxe; only the Pro version.

That sounds good, and makes all kinds of sense. I don't believe anyone was telling you to jump overboard, or at least I don't recall that. It's a rather complex and powerful program and is bound to have people using subets which makes how good it is a subjective thing. It sounds like you're in good shape for your purposes.

I would like more

I have AutoCad experience, and a couple others also, and I think you'd find it interesting how little difference there actually is. The vast majority of the changes have been annoyance fixes and collections of little things here and there that make implementations a little easier and faster to do. Capability wise however, there are actually few things AC can do that TC can't do; they're just different. Since you have Pro, you can prove a lot of that to yourself simply by searching around and opening a few AC dwgs and watch to see what the errors and limitations are. I think you'll be pleasnatly surprised. Assuming of course that TC is still good at doing that. It'll vary of course, based on the sets of tools used and who uses them, but in genereal you'll find very few AC files you can't open and manipulate just fine. In fact, I do it often, or did up until a couple years ago, with version 7.1 Pro.

Actually, my track record with IMSI/INTUIT et al support isn't very pretty. The most helpful thing I got from any of my contacts was along the lines of "Yeah, that's an annoying thing, but here's how to work around it" sort of response. In other words, they knew about the bugs and only wanted to let me know how to workaround. One place offered me some scripts, but ... well, I didn't need them.

Their support areas still need a lot of help, IMO, especially on the email side.

I will admit that I am relatively new to TurboCAD, but

You are new then. I've been with them since, I think it was, version 3 and Generic CADD before that. Then came 5, 7, and after that I'd pretty much quit watching. For me, 7 was apparently the last reasonably consistantly stable version they had. 8 9 and 10 I watched now and then and stayed away from. 11 looked good and I figured 12 should finally be a good number, but in my case I was wrong. The went downhill from 11 to 12 by all appearances. That's for MY purposes, not yours. It's always a ymmv situation with something like TC apps.

Generic CADD was the cheapest; free! It was amazing what it could do and seemed to have a great future!

Regards,

Pop`

Reply to
Pop

IMSI changed it's name to Broadcaster and went into the internet on demand streaming business. Turbocad was bought buy IMSI ex employees backed by an investment firm. Rather than someone buying the competion, this was a case of sell it or can it. Broadcaster doesn't do software.

Reply to
CW

No kidding! I wasn't aware of that and I -thought- I looked, but ... .

Any chance you can offer a link that might cover any of that off or be a better starting point than I'm gettin gon Google right now?

Pop`

Reply to
Pop