OT: trucks

"Patriarch"

Shiney new Corvette?

Dave

TeamCasa

Funny how it goes! The last three companies I have worked for bought nothing but GMC of Chevy. The one had a fleet of twenty vehicles, all GM. Where I am now we have ten or so trucks, one Ford in the bunch, one Dodge diesel dually. Once in a while they would forget and buy a Ford again, but after it spent more time in the shop than on the road it would suddenly disappear and a new GM would be in it's place. I drove a one ton Chevy van 175,000 miles with only brakes and tires. I got a new van and the gent that got my old one ran it to just over 300,000 miles with similar service. No major repairs, original engine and transmission! The company sold it for $500 as it was in need of engine work. It burned very little oil, but the crank bearings were so worn that it was spewing oil out both ends of the crank.

Personally I have owned two Fords and I will probably never buy another one! My dad has owned three Fords and he is done with them too! My next door neighbor bought one Ford, all GM in his driveway again!

The next guy will drive a Ford with disdain for GM, or drive Dodge and hate GM or Ford. I guess it makes the world go 'round! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Have a leased 2003 Ranger of which I am going to be looking for a replacement in about a year. Have been considering a van (Freestar). I carry wood and other things that I am concerned would tear up a van's interior. I have not found any good "bed liners" for a van. I am concerned about being able to carry what I do now. However, carrying bicycles was better with a van and it was easier to carry things I did not want exposed. Anyone have a van now and can compare how it services them vs. a Ranger sized truck?

Reply to
eganders

If you buy a Ford F-150 you can keep it damned near forever.

I am the living proof.

I have owned two vehicles over the last thirty one years.

The first was a 1974 Chevy C-10 and it was a total piece of shit.

The rockers rusted out within three years and the wheel wells cancered out soon after.

I ran that miserable piece of crap, at great expense, until 1987, when I bought a real truck, made by the Ford Motor Company.

That F-150 is still my constant companion.

I drive it sixty miles a day and it has better than 150,000 miles on it.

It runs good, is quiet, and shows no sign of quitting.

I keep asking the guys at the garage that I take it to for state inspection and such, "How much life does it have in it?".

They tell me that this old baby is only about middle aged.

Buy Ford - before it's made in Shanghai.

ps. Don't buy the six foot bed.

It ain't natural.

I'll post a pix on ABPW.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

...raving about Ford vs Chevy...

Just to show there's no justice in the world...

I gave my 72 Chevy C10 to friend when left TN in '99 (two already here on the farm). It had >200k on it at the time w/ one overhaul at 130k or thereabouts. Is still being used daily by my friend (he's semi-retired self-employed plumber).

On the farm have '77 C10 4x4 w/ who knows how many miles--says 50k but I have no idea how many times it's started over. It has worked every day of it's life and the most expensive repair was a master cylinder last fall. It's work load has not been light, either--it always has diesel and gas tank in bed plus regularly pulls anyhdrous-ammonia trailers (the

1000 and 1500 gal jobbies that look like an LP tank on wheels) through sandy fields as a simple task.

Meanwhile watch the neighbors go through Fords like jelly beans...

Except for the 73-75 or so time period where there was a serious design flaw in the body that lead to rust out reminiscent of 50's and early

60's Fords, I would take the GM entry over the Ford any day.

That said, longevity is mainly how they're maintained/driven imo.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Did I happen to mention that I had a 1974 C-10?

...yeah, I thought so.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Do I m'member right that it's a minty green?

UA100, who realized lately that he has eight years/ninety thou in/on the Jeep and a sale date is not in sight (site in WreckSpeak)...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:38:12 -0500, the inscrutable Tom Watson spake:

Amen, bruddah.

Boo! and Yea!, respectively.

My 90' F-150 has 106,895 on it as of today. I made a trip to Medford and noticed a horrible, musty, coolant smell. I found a pinhole leak in the heater hose. Imagine that, those cheap hoses only lasting that few miles and fewer than 15 years. Should I sue Ford?

Have you seen the PRICE on today's F-150? They start at over twice what I paid.

I have the shortbed (a manly 7') and it turns circles tighter than my sister's '73 MGB-GT, which is now for sale (in case you're branching out into imports for fun and profit.)

Speakin'o unnatural, my across the street neighbor just showed up in a Chebby Avalanche today, brand new. It's a super-super shortbed (4' if an inch) with a whopping FORTY ONE CUBIC FEET of cargo room!

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ayup! My '89 is going to the great junkyard in the sky . . way over 200K,

4.9L 6 needs new lower end so the oil pressure will stay up when idling in gear after it's hot. Big time cancer, needs new gas tank, etc. Still starts and runs good, pulls like a bear!

Looked over a mo. for a replacement. Needed an extended cab to fit my corpulent belly behind the wheel, wanted auto, cruise, air if I could, and definitely a full bed! All I could find around here were those dam "toy trucks", yuppie 4 x 4 ext. cabs & crew cabs with itty bitty beds.

Finally found "my" truck . . '95 F150, 4.9L 6, auto, air, cruise, ext. cab full bed. It's old, but runs fine, looks decent for it's age. I'm a happy camper!

In the meantime, SWMBO's '98 F150 ext. cab short bed w/cap has about 90K, doing great, it's our "family" car.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

"TeamCasa" wrote in news:422e4093$1_1@127.0.0.1:

Naw. Prolly Euro something. Gotta have a place for golf clubs and a weekend bag. And fit a big guy. Mebbe an Audi.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And UGLY, too. My otherwise friendly neighbor, he of the well-stocked woodshop, bought one of these. Otherwise, he shows reasonably good taste.

He kept the old S10 to haul stuff in.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

If you need a truck to haul things, fine.

If you need a family vehicle, you appear to already have another vehicle for that purpose.

SFWIW, when my Volkswagen Diesel Rabbit died in 1999, I got a "1999 Tonka Toy", AKA: A 4 cyl, 5 speed stick shift, Toyota Tacoma with a decent FM radio.

As this is being written, have 95,000 miles on it.

Building a boat requires that you haul a lot of stuff including about

12,000 lbs of spent lead from a shooting range as an example, but it doesn't require hauling a lot of crew. One comfortable bench seat works just fine.

To date, have replaced the battery, four(4) tires and a set of windshield wipers.

Change the oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles, the air filter every 6,000.

Guess I ought to think about having a tune up and maybe some new brakes, but I'm still getting over 25 MPG in SoCal traffic which is not to shabby.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Having been an industrial sales engineer charged with calling on automotive customers, spent far too many years in the bowels of plants that had one of the big 3 names on the sign in the front.

I chose not to buy a truck from one of them.

Don't think I made a mistake.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Which one?

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Get a Suburban. Seats up to six (even more with the optional 3rd seat), but the seats can be folded down to give you an 8-foot-long bed that's totally enclosed. Automatic? Cruise? Towing? No problem. They're great.

Doug Miller

I've had my F-150 Club Cab since 97. The club cab is not all that bad, even for adults in the back seat. The 6' bed hasn't been a major issue, you have to be careful hauling sheet goods; I haul them with the tailgate up since an unfortunate incident with some melamine covered hardboard sheets. For really long boards, I'd look at adding a frame up front and extending them from the back of the pickup to the front over the cab and lashing them to the frame. When looking, I looked at the Ranger,but the back only had jump seats and we wanted the option of being able to carry adults (it's come in handy quite often).

Don't know if things have changed, but my first choice was used. I looked for several months and all I found were pickups that had over 70 to

80k miles on them and were priced at about $4k less than new -- hardly worth the less than 20% savings for a vehicle that was probably more than 50% used up. Finally wound up buying new; since I try to use vehicles as long as possible, it seemed the most cost-effective approach. +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Same problem here - need a "real truck". Tired of hauling plywood and 2x4's in the BMW X5. I just bought a '96 Dakota SLT 4x4 with extended cab and 6 foot bed. V-8 with a 5-speed. Power everything, cruise. 85,000 miles. $6,000. Found it on autotrader.com at a little country town used truck lot about 20 miles from home.

My kids fit in the mini back seat just fine for trips around town (they are

14 and 16). Most borg stuff fits in the bed - plywood sits inside the bed and on top of wheel wells, in pockets molded in by manufacturer into which a 2x4 fits. 10 foot 2by fits fine with tailgate down. I cargo strap the end of the stack to the bumper. For longer loads, I have a bed extender that I bought at Harbor Freight for $20. It fits in the class 3 hitch and is basically a 4 foot beam that extends out the back, then forms a "T" onto which long boards rest. It works great.

Put 2,000 miles on it so far and it works perfect. Nothing busted when I bought it. Nothing busted today. And I get 15 mpg in town and 20 on the road.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Tue, Mar 8, 2005, 8:10pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.dot.net (Patriarch) says: Naw. Prolly Euro something. Gotta have a place for golf clubs and a weekend bag. And fit a big guy. Mebbe an Audi.

Well, Hell. If all you wants to haul is a set of clubs for cow pasture pool, do it with style and class.

brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Tue, Mar 8, 2005, 4:14pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@teamcasadot.org (TeamCasa) wonders: Shiney new Corvette?

OK.

brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

On 8 Mar 2005 11:18:56 -0800, "Charlie Self" scribbled:

I agree on the eight-foot bed. It's hard to fit a quartered (actually sixthed) moose in one layer in a smaller bed. But you should consider having an operable rear window. For a small number of long sticks, it's great to be able to open the window and slide one end of the wood in the cab and the other end resting on the tailgate.

Also, I bought a pair of roof racks, tossed one and install the other on the cab roof when needed. To match it, (OBWW) I made a rack out of doug fir that fits in the stake holes (Izzat what they're called?). Planed some 2X3 down to the required size, screwed on a couple of gussets and a spacer to hold the cross beam (think open mortise or bridle joint), and a 2X4 bolted on as the cross beam. Once stuff is tied down, it's pretty rigid. Works great for larger numbers of long pieces of wood or a canoe.

1990 Chevy 2500 4X4 extended cab, manual tranny & no cruise control or A/C. Bought at a government auction in 1996 for $CDN7,500 ($12k book value at the time). Bench seats are not that comfortable, but the extended cab is OK for a couple of people if I remove the junk that's usually on it.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi