OT: Too screwed up to be real...

Page 1 of 2
The house I grew up in is on a street very close to the centre of town. Across the street, the street was also lined with similar homes. Those bordered along a field full of greenhouses. They were owned by family friends. When the old man (Lemkes) passed away, the kids sold the land to a developer who built a mall there. Today... 6 dead and 11 wounded in a shooting. Friends and clients of my dad (accountant) own stores in that mall. No word on any of that yet.
I am without words.... this kinda shit can't be happening...
http://tinyurl.com/3n6hxwh
On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:23:57 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

It's a sad truth that lone terrorists can strike anywhere, at any time, and pretty much nothing can be done about it.
-- Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble. -- Carl Jung
message wrote:

My sympathies to all the bereaved.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

I don't know what to say. MY condolences to your family and their community. That is not only shocking but amazingly traumatic. A lot of people will be hurting for quite some time. At least the scumbag took himself out. There was no need to hurt others though. It goes to show that horrible things can happen in any community. It must really hit hard to have it happen in your childhood community. It makes it so personal.
Hang in there big guy. When you talk to your family, convey our heartfelt condolences. Let then know, our hopes and prayers are with them.

Just saw it on nrc.nl
The old saying was "When the world ends, I'll go to Holland because there everything happens 50 years later". That doesn't hold anymore, it's more like 50 days now ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/9/2011 11:23 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Hate to hear that ... I know how you feel as I remember what it felt like, having many friends there, when the gunman start shooting out of the tower at UT.
My condolences to you, your family and friends affected by this.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

Summer of 1966, the airlines were on strike.
Sunday morning, flew out of Cleveland on a Bonanza with stops in Memphis, Dallas and finally arriving in San Angelo only to be greeted by headlines in the local newspaper announcing the riots in Cleveland that were taking place as I left.
Add a week.
Again returning from Cleveland this time thru Memphis, Houston, Austin and back to San Angelo.
Remember commenting about the bell tower in Austin as we flew over at about 9,000 ft.
Next day (Monday), came word of the crazy climbing up into the bell tower and shooting up the place.
That was also the same time as they caught R Speck in Chicago, after he had murdered 10-12 nurses.
The 1960's were certainly a violent decade in the USA without including Vietnam.
Lew

This sort of thing has been going on for a couple thousand years in one form or another. Humans are really a nasty bunch.

Nobody in my immediate family/friends got hurt. Nice, but takes nothing away from the fact that indeed, anything can happen anywhere, anytime. Just another reminder to count my blessings every day and to take nothing, nothing for granted.

Good that no one you know got hurt, but indeed count your blessings! Hope you personally and your family are healthy ...
--
Best regards
Han
"Robatoy" wrote:

Nobody in my immediate family/friends got hurt. Nice, but takes nothing away from the fact that indeed, anything can happen anywhere, anytime. Just another reminder to count my blessings every day and to take nothing, nothing for granted. ---------------------------------- Amen bro.
As I have often said, you wake up in the morning, swing those two paddy's across the bed and feel them touch the ground, check and both lungs are working, you got a shot at another day, don't waste it.
A question.
I know nothing about Dutch laws, but is it possible for an individual to possess a machine gun in working order in Holland?
Lew

Hell no. Gun laws are some of the strictest on the planet. But, the same pipe-lines that supply the drugs and other contraband, also handle weapons. Geographically, the borders around The Balkans, Eastern Bloc, and Northern Africa are very porous. So, like anywhere, if you got the money, no problem.
On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 17:10:05 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I read in an article covering the shooting the man a Dutch citzen had permits to own five firearms including the machine gun used in the attack.
Mark

I didn't think so, but he had licenses for 5 firearms and was a member of a "shooting club". It is possible that something got lost in translation from full automatic rifle to machine gun.
(For those who don't know, I was born in Holland, left at 23 in 1969. "Robatoy" did something similar.)
--
Best regards
Han

OH:
On a more upbeat Netherland's note away from such tragedies, there is an article here http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/04/05/040405fa_fact?currentPage=all on the increasing height of the Dutch population which involves more than that in discussion. You and R may find it inviting. Evidently Dutch building codes (to stay near topic) have shifted in accord with this development.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

anyway. They are for law abiding people.

No kidding and what a shame.
The fewer laws we have the more every one gets along. More laws equates to more criminals.

My condolences as well.
I think there's a certain percentage of people who just twist off and have a bent for such violence, and that percentage probalby isn't increasing. Its just that these days, with modern personal weaponry, they can wreak much greater havoc than previously.
In 1968, John Brunner wrote a book called "Stand on Zanzibar". He had amazing forethought. He had characters called "muckers" (i.e. people who run amock); todays' shooters are just that.
Somehow, we have to make our youth grow up with the understanding that it's not an option
-Zz

The phrase 'run amok' has its basis in Malaysia and the far east and goes back at the least a century or more. It describes a condition of depression followed by frenzied killing of multiple people. It may not be something that can be educated out. It is a described (DSM) mental disorder.
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Amok/Amuk is a Malayan word describing a sudden murderous rage. Was in reports dating back at least to the Portugese discoberies in the Far East of the 16th century. Indeed a mental illness of some sort.
--
Best regards
Han