OT: Too screwed up to be real...

The house I grew up in is on a street very close to the centre of town. Across the street, the street was also lined with similar homes. Those bordered along a field full of greenhouses. They were owned by family friends. When the old man (Lemkes) passed away, the kids sold the land to a developer who built a mall there. Today... 6 dead and 11 wounded in a shooting. Friends and clients of my dad (accountant) own stores in that mall. No word on any of that yet.

I am without words.... this kinda shit can't be happening...

Robatoy

time, and pretty much nothing can be done about it.

-- Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble. -- Carl Jung

Reply to
Larry Jaques

community. That is not only shocking but amazingly traumatic. A lot of people will be hurting for quite some time. At least the scumbag took himself out. There was no need to hurt others though. It goes to show that horrible things can happen in any community. It must really hit hard to have it happen in your childhood community. It makes it so personal.

Hang in there big guy. When you talk to your family, convey our heartfelt condolences. Let then know, our hopes and prayers are with them.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Robatoy wrote in news:a3f1bc28-819d-4f0a-9ab0- snipped-for-privacy@j13g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

The old saying was "When the world ends, I'll go to Holland because there everything happens 50 years later". That doesn't hold anymore, it's more like 50 days now ...

Reply to
Han

like, having many friends there, when the gunman start shooting out of the tower at UT.

My condolences to you, your family and friends affected by this.

Reply to
Swingman

nothing away from the fact that indeed, anything can happen anywhere, anytime. Just another reminder to count my blessings every day and to take nothing, nothing for granted.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:3bfc41b6-9900-4c49-bf8f- snipped-for-privacy@i14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Good that no one you know got hurt, but indeed count your blessings! Hope you personally and your family are healthy ...

Reply to
Han

My condolences as well.

I think there's a certain percentage of people who just twist off and have a bent for such violence, and that percentage probalby isn't increasing. Its just that these days, with modern personal weaponry, they can wreak much greater havoc than previously.

In 1968, John Brunner wrote a book called "Stand on Zanzibar". He had amazing forethought. He had characters called "muckers" (i.e. people who run amock); todays' shooters are just that.

Somehow, we have to make our youth grow up with the understanding that it's not an option

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

My sympathies to all the bereaved.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

nothing away from the fact that indeed, anything can happen anywhere, anytime. Just another reminder to count my blessings every day and to take nothing, nothing for granted.

---------------------------------- Amen bro.

As I have often said, you wake up in the morning, swing those two paddy's across the bed and feel them touch the ground, check and both lungs are working, you got a shot at another day, don't waste it.

A question.

I know nothing about Dutch laws, but is it possible for an individual to possess a machine gun in working order in Holland?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------------- Summer of 1966, the airlines were on strike.

Sunday morning, flew out of Cleveland on a Bonanza with stops in Memphis, Dallas and finally arriving in San Angelo only to be greeted by headlines in the local newspaper announcing the riots in Cleveland that were taking place as I left.

Add a week.

Again returning from Cleveland this time thru Memphis, Houston, Austin and back to San Angelo.

Remember commenting about the bell tower in Austin as we flew over at about 9,000 ft.

Next day (Monday), came word of the crazy climbing up into the bell tower and shooting up the place.

That was also the same time as they caught R Speck in Chicago, after he had murdered 10-12 nurses.

The 1960's were certainly a violent decade in the USA without including Vietnam.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hell no. Gun laws are some of the strictest on the planet. But, the same pipe-lines that supply the drugs and other contraband, also handle weapons. Geographically, the borders around The Balkans, Eastern Bloc, and Northern Africa are very porous. So, like anywhere, if you got the money, no problem.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4da0eeea$0$2819 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I didn't think so, but he had licenses for 5 firearms and was a member of a "shooting club". It is possible that something got lost in translation from full automatic rifle to machine gun.

(For those who don't know, I was born in Holland, left at 23 in 1969. "Robatoy" did something similar.)

Reply to
Han

I read in an article covering the shooting the man a Dutch citzen had permits to own five firearms including the machine gun used in the attack.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

This sort of thing has been going on for a couple thousand years in one form or another. Humans are really a nasty bunch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The phrase 'run amok' has its basis in Malaysia and the far east and goes back at the least a century or more. It describes a condition of depression followed by frenzied killing of multiple people. It may not be something that can be educated out. It is a described (DSM) mental disorder.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in news:inrmrs$qae$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Amok/Amuk is a Malayan word describing a sudden murderous rage. Was in reports dating back at least to the Portugese discoberies in the Far East of the 16th century. Indeed a mental illness of some sort.

Reply to
Han

Obviously, it is possible. Is it legal? No, but laws are not for criminals anyway. They are for law abiding people.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Leon