OT: too bad

Page 1 of 2
I guess this NG. is a goner.
Sal

Well, today it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure how much my filters got, but we do have several on-topic threads going on.
I wouldn't mind finding an active woodworking forum that's not segmented into many pieces or requires something that looks like a real name. That's what I liked about the wRECk when it was more active.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 9/3/2012 10:14 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I don't like leaving my real name. People have no filter and say what they want. I was surprised at how much an employer knew about me at my interview. Very un-nerving. What people respond to you can also taken into account as I found out. I had to answer for the responses. Again un-nerving. You won't find my name in a group, or participating in Facebook, or other social networking either. My friends tried to get me to join early on. Funny how some of them pulled out for a while because of how people can be real horses asses.
That's

I was more active on the binaries... I miss that too.

As for this being a goner, probably.. but I'm not likely to join one of the forums. It takes too much time to got through those.
The more we go forward, the more backward we appear to be. What you had fed to you, you now have to go get yourself.
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 22:34:59 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

And I don't like people who don't use their real name. They "say what they want" without taking responsibility for it.
And an employer who denies someone a job because they said something online the employer didn't like should be tarred and feathered. Luckily, I never had a boss like that and I disagreed with a bunch of them :-) Now I'm retired and don't have a boss (what's that, dear?).
carrying a cross.

You might change your mind when you get a stalker that doesn't like what you say and posts all your personal info he can find along with your childrens and grandkids info. And believe me, there are kooks that will do it and more BTDT from experience and never again
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 17:14:04 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

I've had a couple that posted scurrilous lies about me till they got tired of it. Personal info is limited as I don't use Facebook or Twitter or any social media unless you count newsgroups and Yahoo groups. I'm sure a dedicated hacker could get into whatever files the government might have on me (i.e. security clearances and the like) but I don't stay awake wondering about it.
I have been known to write letters to the editor and even a few columns for our local newspaper, so I'm more likely to find an irate local on my doorstep. That's why God invented Smith & Wesson :-).
carrying a cross.
On 9/4/2012 12:42 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Well I try to avoid that. Mostly I try to keep positive and not trash anyone too bad. Occasionally though there are those who deserve it.

Well luckily I wasn't denied a job at that point, but who knows when I wasn't even considered. As far as tarring and feathering, it is what it is (I hate that saying but it's true here) and you you have to live with that today.
Luckily,

"sal" wrote in message
I guess this NG. is a goner.
Sal ======================================================Looks like it's still here to me.
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:33:15 -0500, sal wrote:

Sal, Are you referring to the Rasta Khan crap? I don't see this junk usually, but I suspended filtering trying to see what you were talking about.
Get a real newsreader and learn to filter, you won't ever see the junk.
basilisk

I will have to do this, as the crap is very annoying, the regulars are entertaining and knowledgeable.
Sal

Xnews is free ...
--
Best regards
Han

There's your problem...
On 9/4/2012 6:58 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

I actually wish I had Outlook Express back, not possible with Win 8. I use Thunderbird instead.

I used it for awhile and then on a whim, upgraded to Forte Agent 6. Best $30 I've spent in a long time. News, groups, save, delete, reload, preview, messaging what I want, months back if desired, it does it all. If I can think of something I'd like it to it, chances are that capability is already programmed into it.
For the occasional crap program I've bought, Agent makes up for all of them in spades.
On 9/4/2012 8:35 AM, Dave wrote:

I tried Agent, and for me it did nothing more that what I wanted out of OLE. I am sure it is a great program but it had way too much going on for me. IMHO simpler is better.

Yes, you're correct there. Forte threw everything including the kitchen sink into Agent. I'm pretty familiar with it now, but once in awhile I still get lost trying to find out how to do something. But, for me it's better it's there and I don't need it, than not have the capability when I need to do something.

The older versions of OLE were great. The new Live version sucks. I'm using Agent now.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
wrote:

The older versions of OLE were great. The new Live version sucks. I'm using Agent now. ========================================================================+1

I think OE gets a bad rap, I've used it for years for txt based NGs along with OE quotefix and its works just fine. Easy, straight-forward and don't have to be a geek to use it. I can killfile anyone and anything with the click of the mouse. Binaries are a differnt story, OE sucks for binaries
"ChairMan" wrote:

--------------------------- That's why AstraWeb exists.
Loves binaries.
OE6 for the other stuff.