OT: Toilet Tank Replacement

I've got a problem so I'm turning to the group that I trust with suggestions.
I've got a toilet tank that cracked and I need to replace, here's the questions I have.
Can I buy just a replacement tank (I think so), and do they all have the same spacing for the tank bolts and water flow opening?
Do new tanks come with all the "internals" or will I have to buy them separately? (Internals = flush lever, flush bulb, fill stand, seal between tank and stool, etc.)
Thanks for your help, this problem is in another state and I'm trying to plan a repair and have all the parts with me when I arrive.
Les
LesT wrote:

are you looking for a tank made from wood? you know this is rec.woodworking, right?
perhaps you want to try alt.home.repair instead.

So you took the OT off the header to post this? That's not too hypocritical...

It isn't rec.snottyassedreply, either.
I don't see any harm in casting the net. There are a lot of skilled repair folks here, professional and non professional.
I don't mind responding to an intelligent question, no matter where it is posted. As you can see, others don't either.
Robert

They do sell the tanks separately from the toilets, so they may fit multiple models. Take a note of any information you can find on your toilet (manufacturer's name is usually on the bowl behind the seat) to the local home improvement/hardware store and ask them. (Or look at the manufacturer's website.)
Most the internals are universal, but if you've got the tank off anyway you might as well replace the flush valve. If it goes later, you'll have to take the tank back off. The $10 the replacement kit costs will save at least 2 hours of work later.
Take a look at the local Menards ads. They might still have their toilets (complete) for $48. The tank usually costs that much anyway, might as well get the whole kit.
Puckdropper

Before we had to save water most all tanks would fit. Now days you better go back to the particular manufacturer to get the correct one.

Some do but you should be able to reuse your older innerds.

Some of the bigger and older plumbing firms in your area might have a "bone yard" of old fixtures, toilets, tubs etc. Try contacting them.
--
Nonny

Our Congress and White House are like an
"LesT" wrote:

------------------------------------- IMHO, the controlling parameter in the above is DISTANCE.
Trying to remotely engineer a solution can be tricky, but especially for an item like a toilet.
Toilets are undergoing continual updates in order to reduce water consumption while improving performance.
You are trying to find "Bits & Pieces" for an older toilet BEFORE you get to a distant jobsite.
At best, a tricky venture.
The price of a complete new toilet starts looking pretty good, especially when you start adding up travel time and costs for an automobile($0.50/mile currently) to get to the job site, a few trips to the local "Old Toilets Store", if one exists, for parts you can't find at the local big box store, etc.
After chasing around without finding the correct parts, you still end up buying a new toilet would be a lose lose solution.
Better to bite the bullet up front IMHO.
A few years working in a hardware store and having customers walk in on Saturday morning with a handful of parts and pieces in hand and that "Can you help me?" look on their faces probably has an impact on my post.
BTDT.
Lew
*SNIP of a good reason to buy new*

What Lew said. In my days of working with landlords, they would do all kinds of things to save a buck.
We saw replacement tanks that didn't fit the bowls correctly and leaked. We saw tanks that didn't hold enough water to get the toilet to flush correctly. Then there were the old, huge tanks that would flush the little bowled pots for minutes.
Different sized tanks sometimes made it hard for solid material disposal, if you get my drift.
A new toilet isn't that much if you consider that you won't have to do it twice. Many of the kits have everything in them, and all you have to do is bolt the tank to the bowl and put on a seat. Just make sure you get your new wax bowl ring and floor (flange bolts for the bowl) and you are on your way.
Robert

American Standard? Universal Rundle? Kohler? Low flow? Too many variables to answer.

How old is the toilet? If fairly new you may be able to get the parts, but they can vary from brand to brand or model to model for tanks. If it is 10 years or older, I'd plan on buying a whole new toilet and be doe with it for another 20 or 30 years. No matter how well you plan, something will always be "not quite".
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:48:08 -0700 (PDT), the infamous LesT

Yes, for the most part. There are two-bolt and 3-bolt patterns, though.

Most do, but check the box before leaving the store. Some are supposed to have all the innards but don't.

Go to Lowes and grab a Toilet-in-a-box for $80. It even has the wax ring and a seat. (or used to) It won't be too much more than a tank, either. I've installed 4 of these so far and they're great.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Thanks to all who replied - I think I'll go with the total replacement. I appreciate the help!
Les -- Success is - doing what has to be done, when it has to be done, the way it ought to be done, whether you want to do it or not.
Easier to replace the toilet as a unit.Turn off water undo water connection to tank undo floor bolts, pull old one out.You will need new wax gasket, I also replace the connection with a braided one since they are cheap and very flexible and the new toilet you install may need a different length.. You may be able to get "A Toilet in a Box". It comes with everything you need ,new seat to.(Except the braided line). Don't over tighten any bolts