OT: Today is November 11th - Thank you

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking, rec.woodworking, sci.engr.joining.welding - smartest, funniest, crotchety, and most knowledgable people on the net!
I know they call it Veterans Day in the U.S. and the rest of us call it Remeberance Day or Armistice Day, but whatever you call it, many people in this group sacrificed a lot or lost a friend or are close to someone who did, so that we all can sit here and be entertained and informed by the wealth of information that passes between us everyday. There is nothing that this group does not know! It means a lot to me.
When I go home to my wife and kids tonight, I will reflect on the meaning of this special day for us. My wife is Dutch and I am Canadian so we have a very special debt of gratitude. My two boys can laugh and cry and play and eat and sleep safe at night all because someone somewhere fell for our freedom. It means a lot to me.
When I pick up the paper or, God forbid, turn on the television - and am subjected to the incessant whining of those who gave up nothing so that they could ridicule those that gave up everything - It means a lot to me.
To the boys an girls who are away from home today and for those over the years that never came back - It means a lot to me - Thank you.
Tom
This is not only a day to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. It is also a day to personally thank those who are still among us who fought our wars/conflicts.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (surftom) wrote in message

As an American couple remembering this day and its meaning, thank you. You said it well.
It's easy to think that we Americans did it for someone else, but "we" did it for ourselves as well, because "we" believed in what we were doing and believed our enemies were wrong. "We" all lost a lot, and some lost much more than others. Friends are hard to replace, family is impossible to replace. However, if our cause is just then it must be done, and the best we can do is to honor and remember the costs of war, and the benefits of having morally strong and brave men and women stood up against our enemies. To all those who have lost loved ones, today is a day when we make a special point to honor them, but they're always honored and in our memories.... Bob
On behalf of my fellow veterans and those now serving: Thank. It means a lot to be remembered. I will pass your message on to others who will appreciate it. Again Thank You.

Hey Tom,
Thank You. Well put.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell,,Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On 11 Nov 2003 07:00:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (surftom) wrote:

Form This Veteran to others especially those still serving
Thank You for your sacrifice so we can preserve our way of life!!!!!