OT to the Extreme - Worth Saying Nevertheless

Page 1 of 2

For you old farts who are being badgered by your doctor to have a colonoscopy: My doc did this for several years. It wasn't until my cousin's wife died a long, horrible death with colon cancer that I decided I should do it. Made the appointment. Dreaded it for weeks. Did it Thursday.
The horror stories that go with this simple procedure are the most over-rated BS fiction ever told. At worst it was inconvenient. I like to eat and it slowed me down for a day - but DAMN that first meal was good! Go get it done. The potential penalty for failure to do this is an unimaginable horror. I saw it happen.
RonB
"RonB" wrote in message

Been about 4 years, so almost time for another, but you're right, the benefits far outweigh the minor 24 hour inconvenience.
Worse part is that gallon (seems like it anyway) of stuff that even a beer glass won't make easier to chug-a-lug... compared to that, the actual procedure is a piece o' cake.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
Swingman said:

Can you say, "Funnel?" <g> (A collegiate ritual...)
Greg G.

Yeah I heard about that stuff in the "horror stories". Apparently they have made it easier now. They gave me a bottle full of Visicol tablets which are about the size of a multi-vitamin. The evening before, you take four every 15 minutes with water for an hour. Then four with 12 oz of ginger ale (which I like anyway). Two hours later you do a small version of this procedure .
Gets it over with quickly with minimal strain (he-he).
RonB
Sat, Nov 19, 2005, 10:11am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) did lament: <snip> Worse part is that gallon (seems like it anyway) of stuff that even a beer glass won't make easier to chug-a-lug... compared to that, the actual procedure is a piece o' cake.
Yup. First colonscopy, got the Fleets Phospho Soda - 2 small bottles, one in the morning, one in the evening. Nasty.
For my colon resection, wanted something not so nasty. Got prescribed GoLightly - a freakin' gallon of it. Made the Fleets almost better. Started puking at the half gallon level. Urgh.
For the next, and rest, colonooscopy, got prescribed pills. Start in the evening, one every 15 minutes with water, then finish the rest in the morning. I get a bit of an upset stomach, not severe, and so very much more preferred over the Fleets or GoLightly. The voice of experience.
So, now, possibly the most inconvenient part of the whole deal, for me, is getting one of my sons to drive me to and from the actual procedure - they wont allow you to drive yourself home after, which is wise.
When they took the bandage off after the operation, looked like I had tiny little railroad tracks running up my stomach, so I had a nurse take a picture of it.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
J T wrote:

Izzit gonna be on abpw? I'll show you mine if'n you show me yours.     j4 :-)
Sure hope its better now than it was 15 years ago. I thought someone had shoved a 2x4 so far up my ass they were looking for my tonsils. They twisted and turned it and I was in agony. And then they blew air up my ass so the intestine would move apart and they could look for the polyps so I farted for damned near an hour, not the manly burp fart sound but this whoosh of air instead. Wasn't happy about the female nurses in the room then either! The vasectomy I had 26 years ago had less after affects on me than the colonoscopy did. I don't EVER want to go thru that again, never. John
RonB wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:03:05 -0500, WillR wrote:

Huh? In my case it was a gastroenterologist and his nurse.
Prior to general the doc commented to me that I could watch Pam, the nurse, instead of the TV during the procedure and I was luckier than him. That procedure got 3 polyps, one cancerous. Next 3 got a couple starting polyps and last one got a 5 year reprieve before next one.
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 04:44:40 -0800, Larry Blanchard

That procedure got 3 polyps, one cancerous. Next 3 got a couple

Congratulations Bob. It is folks like you and my cousin's wife that caused me to post this in the first place. Sounds like you are doing ok.
RonB

Must be better. They put me to sleep for about 20 minutes and it was over. Again, what you experienced was among the horror stories I had heard. They are making it easier.
I had an upper GI about 15 years ago with a Valium drip. I kinda knew what they were doing but didn't much care. The worst part was deadening of the tongue and palette before the Valium.
RonB
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:40:18 -0600, RonB wrote:

Same here - didn't even get an enema - just drank a brine concoction and sat on the throne for a while the night before. I'd planned on watching, but when the doc found a couple of polyps (benign) he cranked up the sedative before he snipped them and I went bye-bye.

Well, I didn't quite say that! But anticipation far was worse that the act. Actually my personal doctor did the procedure at an outpatient surgery facility. The probe is a little disconcerning when you see it sitting on the surgical tray (Garden hose with a camera - well, not quite). My son-in-law who practices from a rural facility does them in his own clinic. He has folks trained to assist with the anesthesia and such.
It hasn't been that many years since this kind of procedure required an overnighter and a hell of a lot more discomfort. Modern medicine is good, just expensive!
RonB
Sat, Nov 19, 2005, 10:33am (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (JohnDeBoo) laments: Sure hope its better now than it was 15 years ago. I thought someone had shoved a 2x4 <snip>
Heh heh. My doctor knocks me out enough I don't remember anything, but apparently I'm awake enough to shift position when they want me to. AND, apparently they only use a small tupe of some type (I've not seen it, and don't care to), so no discomfort after.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:00:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

You're nominated for the new colonoscopy moderator.:-)
Mike O.
Sat, Nov 19, 2005, 11:11pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.net (MikeO.) doth sayeth: You're nominated for the new colonoscopy moderator.:-)
Gee Mike, I would, but I'm already a moderator on one of the Yahoo forums, and that keeps me busy about once a year. Looks like you're stuck with the job.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Technically, wouldn't he now have a _semicolon_?
Mon, Nov 21, 2005, 4:07pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (DaveHinz) doth say: Technically, wouldn't he now have a _semicolon_?
LOL True, but only after the operation. A couple of benefits from the operation - nevery any worries about regularity, or constipation.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

I got doped on some cocktail that lets you remember nothing, and it worked, I remember NOTHING after getting a needle in the back of my hand until having coffe and sandwiches much later on. So the interesting philosophical thing is: If I was in agony and can't remember it, was I in agony?
Barry Lennox
Barry Lennox wrote:

You're probably better off to cruise the forest looking for a fallen tree. ...You can harvest the lumber.