OT: To my fellow vets

Page 2 of 4

ROYNEU wrote:

the memorial!
Dave
David wrote:

That and the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor.
USMC 1958-1962
Charlie Self wrote:

notice all the Japanese tourists...
dave

Same here. It was surreal...

Always wanted to see that, but never got there. Served my time in the US & Mediterranean. May I add my heartfelt gratitude to ALL vets everywhere.
Belated Happy Birthday to the USMC. Don't remember their age, but I just turned 69(JAFOF according to Joh4n).
USN 55-59, ET2 USNR Seabees 63-74, EOC
--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

OOPS! Senior moment, it's Jo4hn!
--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

230. I'm not the only one with creaking knees.
As a whole, the Corps today is better trained and better led than when I was in. Now, we're getting a 2600 man elite within an elite, most of whom will be stationed at LeJeune. IIRC, they'll work on cooperation with Seals and Army Special Forces, as well as on their own.
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:12:39 -0800, ROYNEU wrote:

Never been to either, but I've seen the cemeteries around Normandy. I couldn't have talked if I'd wanted to.
Bend your knee and be eloquent for those that fell.
It doesn't take a wall............It isn't some kind of symbolism,
Fuck your knee, for it isn't broken, idiot.

David,
Thank you. And, it sounds like the same honor off to you is appropriate.
Have you ever had the honor of witnessing the silence at the Tomb of the Unknowns? How about the The Wall? Ever seen the quiet touch of fingers tracing over a name of a friend, family member or loved one?
They are the ones that deserve the highest honor of course. They are the ones I bend my knee for.
Roy
David,
Thank you. And, it sounds like the same honor off to you is appropriate.
Have you ever had the honor of witnessing the silence at the Tomb of the Unknowns? How about the The Wall? Ever seen the quiet touch of fingers tracing over a name of a friend, family member or loved one?
They are the ones that deserve the highest honor of course. They are the ones I bend my knee for.
Roy
Fri, Nov 11, 2005, 8:15am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com (David) doth say: Hope you all enjoy today. My hat is off to all who've served our country.
Not too bad a day. It was enjoyable, for the most part. US Army, retireed '81.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
Thank You!
And a Bravo Zulu to all the other Vets here. Well Done!
CWO-4 USN-Ret, 65-93
J T wrote:

what....couldn't do the last two and work for free for Uncle Sammy...........;-)
Bob S.
(David) doth say:

On 11/11/2005 11:15 AM David mumbled something about the following:

Thanks, but had to work as usual. Wish I had the day off.
--
Odinn

USN '78 - '88

serve in Vietnam... I will however ALWAYS be grateful for those that defend the rights of our Nation, and assist those in the world as are in need of help! Tom USN 65-68

In my opinion, the executive is responsible for the correctness of the information upon which he acts. In this case all the evidence now suggests (again, IMO) that there was selection into what to believe, to say the least. However, this isn't even the most important point in my evaluation of the wrongness of going to war.
The executive is also responsible for ascertaining that the action plans are laid out well, and they were very, very poor on multiple fronts (pardon the pun).
The executive failed to get help at the Northern "front", i.e. failed to get permission from Turkey to invade the north from their territory (the plans had really counted on getting that help, and much improvisation was now needed, leading to enormously long lines of supply).
Worst of all, and the reasons why this war is taking so long, is the complete and utterly incomprehensible lack of a plan to get Iraq secure and governable after the military defeat. Way before the war was started this was a clear and plainly visible threat: There was no real help to get a governing body together from the squabbling factions in exile; there was (apparently) no US plan to get civil and military order under a new Iraqi government; there was no idea about how to organize the many and powerfully differing ethnic and religious groups into politically and effective civilian organization. In addition, the invasion was woefully underpowered (in large part because of the failure to get Turkey involved) resulting in enormously big ammo dumps laying unguarded for long times. All this allowed the "insurgents" to organize and sequester means.
Although I was very much against the invasion of Iraq, I am now forced to support the troops there. It is possible that the only way out would be to involve initially many more US troops to secure the areas that need securing, and to educate the Iraqi security forces, and last but not least, to give the Iraqis time to institute a viable form of democracy.
One last (wishful) thought: Wouldn't it have been better to get more involved in Afghanistan, really hunt down the SOBs there, while helping to rebuild the Afghani infrastructure (both physically and politically) while containing Sadddam, who was no real friend of Al-Quaida, within Iraq?
--
Best regards
Han
Han said:

You rightly point out many reasons why it was unwise to approach the subject of Saddam in the manner that the US military was forced to do. And it is probably best reflected by Bush's response upon looking at Brazil for the first time on a map (LAST WEEK), "Wow. Brazil is Big!" It's right up there with his quip, "Oh, you have black people here?" He's a moron. JMHO,
Greg G.
Scratch that last post. And please excuse my injection of political commentary in what was to be, and should have remained a tribute to those who protect our freedoms and our way of life against those who would seek to destroy it - my fingers just couldn't help themselves. It's a tough job, and little appreciation is shown by the public at large for those who do it.. I for one, thank all who serve(d).
Greg G.
DUBYA couldn't resist dumping his verbiage yesterday!