OT: To my fellow vets

Page 1 of 4

Hope you all enjoy today. My hat is off to all who've served our country.
Dave
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:15:23 -0800, David wrote:

Second the motion. I was 8 when WWII ended and I've said thank you to a lot of vets since. Unfortunately, the WWII ones are growing fewer by the day.
BBC news had an interview with two vets of WWI last night. One was 105, the other 109.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Make it three.
I'm not a vet, but I tip my hat as a citizen.
Barry

I'm not a vet either. I work in a VA hospital, although I have hardly any patient contact - I do research on things that will hopefully someday help prevent/cure heart attack and stroke, or at least provide insight into what would.
I was born in Holland in 1944, and there isn't a day I don't thank the veterans of WWII, and *all* defenders of freedom as we know it.
I remember visiting the monuments in northern France from WWI, and of course walked many a walk for the Airborns from the battle of Arnhem in September 1944, fought near where I grew up.
That having been said, *and* with my utmost admiration to those fighting today, I must also vent my disgust at those who got us into today's Iraq war under (IMHO) false pretenses. It is inexcusable for a commander to not know what he is up against. It is also inexcusable for him not to have a workable plan to help the people "liberated" from a vanquished dictator onto the new road to freedom and liberty and justice as we know it.
--
Best regards
Han
Han (in Xns970B96C891058ikkezelf@130.81.64.196) said:
| I'm not a vet either. I work in a VA hospital, although I have | hardly any patient contact - I do research on things that will | hopefully someday help prevent/cure heart attack and stroke, or at | least provide insight into what would.
And for your work this ex-airborne soldier would like to thank you and all who work as you do to make our world a healthier place.
-- Morris Dovey
To a lot of us it was just a job that someone had to do. I seen grown men cry because they were turned down in the draft. I hate seeing our boys getting maimed and killed. I was not very popular on my stance of this present war but some of my neighbors are now saying 'George you were right. http://community.webtv.net/orecartent/744thROB

Thank you for your kind words, Morris!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Bush II didn't fudge any intel on WMDs. He knew Hussein had a WMD program because Rumsfeld sold it to Iraq when he was Reagan's SecDef and we thought Iran was the bigger problem. Sooner Rummy fesses, up sooner we can move past the finger pointing and figure out how to get our troops out of there.
USN 1981-1987, The best marine is a submarine. Ah-OOO-gah.

Add thanks to all vets from here also.
Saw a piece online today that WWI vets are becoming very rare (pretty much like Civil War vets were when I was growing up I guess). According to FoxNews (for you libs, don't get your panties in a wad, it's a piece that's written by AP so you can trust it :-) "Today, the Veterans Affairs Department lists just eight veterans as receiving disability benefits or pension compensation from service in World War I. It says a few dozen other veterans of the war probably are alive, too, but the government does not keep a comprehensive list."
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:09:26 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

I too remember a couple of Civil War vets who were in the parades (in a car) every year during WWII. Of course, being Kentucky, they were wearing grey :-).
Thanks.
Andy USN 70->75

Thank you,
USAF 62-83
Bob S.

You joined when my dad was leaving.
He was USAF 59-63, Otis & Thule. He repaired avionics on KC-97 & KC-135 tankers. And AF1 ONCE, @ Otis.
Barry
You make it like all that is said by this administration is 100% true. I can understand a registered republican standing up for george and dick but I also remember Nixon . And he said he was not a crook. I have no way of knowing if the info to congress was 100% true or it was changed to make it look like something else. And until the truth can come out can not believe either side. But I do know that there is politicians that distort the facts. One story was that saddam wanted Iran to thin he still had the juice . That was to keep them at bay. And Iran knew he juiced the kurds up north. Guess he fooled a lot of people. Even our CIA. As for W he is lost a lot in the polls. Even if he is honest. Personally I have looked at him as a used car salesman. Sorry but that is just the way I feel about him. He also runs to the military every time he wants some support. Years ago he did not want to be in the military. Ever wonder when he is in front of all those uniformed military. They are NON their on their own. They were told to be there in uniform. Military people do not go anywhere in uniform when they are off duty, except home. Seems like that is the only place he can get for sure an applause when he need one. And when he opens that yap of his and says people who disagree with him are not patriotic and then smiles. Guess W will be all smiles just like the bird he will pardon when he gets back I think the bird has a better approval rating that the one in the suit.
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:17:49 -0500, O D wrote:

Politicians of all parties are getting better and better at staging "public" meetings where the only people present are vetted to make sure they're supporters. Or as you point out, military.
Did you see the film on TV where Bush had announced a live interview. but let the press in too early? They got film of his staff rehersing the "spontaneous" questions :-).
I did not see the LIVE interview. Guess it is not illegal to rehearse but if true then it shows to what length they will go to make John Q. Public think they are nice people. They think the public is stupid and can be fooled, and I guess to some degree that is true. The majority voted bush. Ever wonder how many scrapped the W 04 stickers off their cars. These two bimbos, (W & dick ) have made a mockery of the military Just like it was in the 60's and 70's But I can say something with pride that OLD DICKIE can not say to vets.......... WELCOME HOME.
Dave US ARMY 1st battlegroup 27th infantry the wolfhounds 25th Inf division 60-63
http://www.ussokcity.com/valor.jpg
Your welcome.
I remember a couple of years ago reading "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose. I wrote to him and said it made me seek out a couple of the guys I served with in the 'Nam". And thanked him for writing a very wonderful book. Recommend it to everyone who ever served and to those who never did.
Anyways, I heard back from one of his assitants who said that he was glad I like the book and was happy that I could connect to my fellow comrades. And the best was this:
"Welcome home".
Broke me up and still does. So I'd like to say to all the vets, the same:
"Welcome home"
MJ Wallace
Thanks for the Thoughts and Comments:
Bill Hall USAF 1956-78

David,
Thank you. And, it sounds like the same honor off to you is appropriate.
Have you ever had the honor of witnessing the silence at the Tomb of the Unknowns? How about the The Wall? Ever seen the quiet touch of fingers tracing over a name of a friend, family member or loved one?
They are the ones that deserve the highest honor of course. They are the ones I bend my knee for.
Roy