OT: Timber frame building

Is there a good place to learn more and get advice on timber frame building?

thanks

mark

Reply to
Mark

That's not OT.

I timberframed a small barn in my back yard 2 summers ago. My major sources of info were:

This book:

PDF's:
a one-day seminar at Lee Valley.

From what perspective are asking? Do you want to build a timber frame structure, hire someone to make one for you, of just learn about the methodology?

-Steve

Reply to
StephenM

for a workshop in your area. I took one at Shaker Hancock Village in MA, One of the best week's vacations I've had.

Reply to
klaatu

this is a good introduction:

there is a lot of variation across the world. where are you?

And what do you want to know about? History, Modern buildings, technical stuff?

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

I found books by Ted Benson useful when I was building my timberframe solarium

I don't remember which one exactly, but it was before 1998.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

I will be doing everything myself and been researching it. I Already have the plans. I will be milling the beams myself with a Granberg Alaskan Mill(which is where i live btw) and a John Deere chainsaw (i didn't even know they made em!) I already own the lad right out. I will be moving to my land an about 6 weeks. I intend to build a small stick frame cabin for over winter and do the timber frame next year.

mark

Reply to
Mark

That's " ON TOPIC " Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Mark wrote in news:BcSdnQykYbq4EffXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.gcicommunications:

I don't know what your tool budget is, but you'll want a good 1 1/2" framing chisel and a rugged mallet for starters. A 10" circ saw makes short work of tenons. We use these daily:

?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000223IM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QA8180GR7ZKVW2BRSNYIf you can rent, borrow or steal a chainsaw mortiser, you will cut the joint cutting time in half:

luck, and have fun!

Scott

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

Mark wrote: ...

They don't; they're simply branded.

Don't know whose they are these days; mine is about 30 yr old and is base Echo saw in yellow drag... :)

Other recommendations good; only question I'd as is what size timbers you planning on?

Reply to
dpb

When you are building your own home, time does become money. For the most part I did my 12x22 4-bent shed/barn with almost a couple several dollar tool budget (next to nothing):1/2" drill, 1.5" framing chisel and some odds and ends.

The first time saver I would invest in would be a big circular saw.Ideally big enough to cuth through half of your biggest beam. Then I would beg borrow or steal a chain mortiser. Hogging out mortises turned out to be a huge investment in time and tendons, (thats tight I said tendons not tennons) .

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
C & S

John Deere green here!

the plans call for the biggest to be 7X9

Reply to
Mark

Not terribly large but you'll still find the investment in larger saw valuable, then...

--

Reply to
dpb

Sobon's book is a good start.

Beyond that, you have to say what you mean by "timber frame" There's a lot of variation in that - round here it means (on a good day) re- creating medieval work in oak, with seriously complicated joinery. That's a long way from tubafours and rockwall.

Reply to
Andy Dingley