OT: Timber frame building

Is there a good place to learn more and get advice on timber frame building?
thanks
mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
That's not OT.
I timberframed a small barn in my back yard 2 summers ago. My major sources of info were:
This book: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pB789&cat=1,46096,46108
these PDF's: http://www.tfguild.org/joinery/joinery.html
and a one-day seminar at Lee Valley.
From what perspective are asking? Do you want to build a timber frame structure, hire someone to make one for you, of just learn about the methodology?
-Steve

Add pictures here
βœ–
I will be doing everything myself and been researching it. I Already have the plans. I will be milling the beams myself with a Granberg Alaskan Mill(which is where i live btw) and a John Deere chainsaw (i didn't even know they made em!) I already own the lad right out. I will be moving to my land an about 6 weeks. I intend to build a small stick frame cabin for over winter and do the timber frame next year.
mark

Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't know what your tool budget is, but you'll want a good 1 1/2" framing chisel and a rugged mallet for starters. A 10" circ saw makes short work of tenons. We use these daily:
http://barrtools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc ? Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BST&Category_CodeϊBC
http://www.woodisgoodco.com/mallets.htm
(Amazon.com product link shortened)? pf_rd_p04485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t 1 &pf_rd_i°000223IM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QA8180GR7ZKVW2BRSNY
If you can rent, borrow or steal a chainsaw mortiser, you will cut the joint cutting time in half:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)- Mortiser/dp/B0002HC2VQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid48535453&sr=8-1
Good luck, and have fun!
Scott
Add pictures here
βœ–
When you are building your own home, time does become money. For the most part I did my 12x22 4-bent shed/barn with almost a couple several dollar tool budget (next to nothing):1/2" drill, 1.5" framing chisel and some odds and ends.
The first time saver I would invest in would be a big circular saw.Ideally big enough to cuth through half of your biggest beam. Then I would beg borrow or steal a chain mortiser. Hogging out mortises turned out to be a huge investment in time and tendons, (thats tight I said tendons not tennons) .
Cheers,
Steve

Add pictures here
βœ–
Mark wrote: ...

They don't; they're simply branded.
Don't know whose they are these days; mine is about 30 yr old and is base Echo saw in yellow drag... :)
Other recommendations good; only question I'd as is what size timbers you planning on?
Add pictures here
βœ–

John Deere green here!

the plans call for the biggest to be 7X9
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mark wrote:

Not terribly large but you'll still find the investment in larger saw valuable, then...
βœ–
That's " ON TOPIC " Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.tfguild.org / Look for a workshop in your area. I took one at Shaker Hancock Village in MA, One of the best week's vacations I've had.
Add pictures here
βœ–

this is a good introduction:
But there is a lot of variation across the world. where are you?
And what do you want to know about? History, Modern buildings, technical stuff?
Tim w
Add pictures here
βœ–

I found books by Ted Benson useful when I was building my timberframe solarium (http://www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/galleria.html ). I don't remember which one exactly, but it was before 1998.
Luigi
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sobon's book is a good start.
Beyond that, you have to say what you mean by "timber frame" There's a lot of variation in that - round here it means (on a good day) re- creating medieval work in oak, with seriously complicated joinery. That's a long way from tubafours and rockwall.
Add pictures here
βœ–