OT: This ought to make you chuckle

I have read that the reason is the huge number of extant legalese WP document templates.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Yeah, but there are still times when something gets into a paragraph or document and *insists* that is how you want to format the document. Often the only way to get rid of the persistent formatting is to delete the entire paragraph and re-type it. Sometimes you can get away with "paste as text" after the delete, but I have encountered cases where that does not happen.

What was really handy with Word Perfect is that you were able to turn on the feature to show *all* codes. You could then edit the offending code.

On the same line? The only way I have found to do that is to create a table with 3 columns, justifying each column as needed, then hiding the lines. Now, Excel will let you do that on the same line.

BTW, this is not just me, our technical pubs guy goes through absolute fits at time when Word absolutely *insists* he really meant to place that picture in such and such a way and yes, that text must abolutely be indented.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yeah.

Check out "View Header / Footer" / "Custom"

I think it showed up in Office '97, but it may have come later.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Steve Miller's "PureText" is one of the first things that goes on anay computer I'm using. I use it all the time taking text from one Word document to another, avoiding all the style hassles.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

"Mark Jerde" wrote in news:nAXkc.14342 $ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

In word there is a way to assign to Ctrl-V a paste without formatting. Create a new macro which just consists of edit|paste special, and assign it to Ctrl-V. Now shift insert will paste formatted and ctrl-V unformatted text.

Reply to
Han

Hmmm, I'm using Word 2002, and I'm not seeing it. I see an "autotext" insertion option that sort of does that, but does not individually justify each element on the line.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:51:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com brought forth from the murky depths:

You misspelled "the only nice feature" Bridgy. Ever try to troubleshoot M$ Wurd indented/numeric list docs? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I'd -almost- prefer to use poly on some poor and unsuspecting wood.

----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, at least for those of us doing technical reports and documents, the 5.x series of Word Perfect had features that facilitated generation of those documents that are no longer present in any word processor available today. When WP went to it's 6.x series, they lobotomized the product, removing exactly the features that were most useful to me. Word? It never had them and still doesn't.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I always used the *roff *nix markup tools for technical docs...

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Yeah. Recently, I decided on a new set up for tracking article queries. Try dealing with changes in format and color when using the numeric lists inside a table. Holy Susannah! (York,that is.)

I got it done, but I'll be dipped it I can tell you how at this point.

Charlie Self "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon Bonaparte

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'll check my work machine tomorrow and let you know the steps. This computer has Office '95 on it.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

On Sat, 01 May 2004 21:10:02 GMT, "Mark Jerde" brought forth from the murky depths:

That and more billable time trying to figure out what that blasted Word Imperfect did to your document THIS time...

----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, that happens only to MS-Word users. In the first place, it's a very rare event for WordPerfect to produce the random, out-of-the-blue formatting foulups that are the unpleasant but inevitable result of using Word, made no less obnoxious by the disturbing frequency with which they occur. And when they do happen in WP, the Reveal Codes feature makes it trivially easy to figure out why, *and* to repair the damage quickly -- in stark contrast to Word in all respects.

Doug Miller

Ack! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Iodine 125 was where I spent a few years in the beginning of my career.

Reply to
mttt

Had a small(er) one in the print shop where I was a 'devil. Had two levers, at far left and far right. Both had to be pulled in, towards center, and then the right was was pulled over n' down, not unlike First Gear on a three speed (3 on the Tree).

Reply to
mttt

The factory in West Allis even had the script lettering "Excalibur" on the front of the building. That building has been razed.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Simple way to do it in Word is with tabs. Word has tabs that are left-aligned, right-aligned, and center-aligned. Put a right-aligned tab at the right margin and a center-aligned tab at the center and you're there.

OpenOffice does the same thing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks, I just tried that, it does do what I want. Hadn't tried that before, it's not obvious to the casual observer. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita