OT: This ought to make you chuckle

Page 4 of 4
Roy Smith writes:

Those things were fun. I used one for a year or so, in a print shop. The thing would slice through a 30" wide stack of paper 500 sheets thick, as you say, without slowing down. It had guards, but that was long enough ago that I don't recall exactly how they were guarded--I think one below the table had to be pushed in and up, while the actual actuating switch had to be pulled down from the right. Four feet does sound about right. That was one scary sumbitch.
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I was at my favorite scrap yard a couple of weeks ago. In the back they had a Cinnicinati brake (used for forming metal). Must have been 10 feet high by 12-15 feet long. Had a nice little sign telling you not to put your hands under the brake bar.
david
David Penner writes:

Now that would provide the absolute ultimate in limp wrists.
Charlie Self "I am confident that the Republican Party will pick a nominee that will beat Bill Clinton." Dan Quayle

Ayup.
In one of my former "lives", maintenance in a sheet metal products factory, helped prepare for installation of a 500ton press brake. If'n my memory doesn't fail me, this was the approx. size of it, plus the "bed", which was about 6" thick, went about 2-2 1/2 ft. below baseline. Had to drill out old 1' thick concrete & 100yr. old packed dirt under it, form up for a new concrete slab 18" thick with a 12' long, 12" wide, 3' deep hole in it to accept that bed, a'la
_________________________________ | | | | \ / ground level \______________________________/
Dern thing could bend a 90deg. corner in a piece of 1/4" x 8' steel plate without even raising a sweat
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

Most metal drop shears are scarier. A shear that chops 12' (yes feet) x 1/4" sheet steel wouldn't even notice flesh and bone. Heck even a 12ga capacity machine is in the same boat. And since those are mechanical with fly wheels it's not a gentle hydraulic motion -- push the pedal and wham it's over -- total cycle time less than 1 second. Line steel up, count fingers, push pedal, count fingers. Call 911 if count changes. Repeat as necessary. As far as paper things go I was alway freaked out by the over-sew machines used in book binderies. Stitches right through that 3" text book no problem.
hex -30-

thing
say,
don't
be
from
Had a small(er) one in the print shop where I was a 'devil. Had two levers, at far left and far right. Both had to be pulled in, towards center, and then the right was was pulled over n' down, not unlike First Gear on a three speed (3 on the Tree).
Did you live in Sparks?
Small world, H.

Me? Nope. Screwed a few things up over the years which involved making sparks (or magic smoke), but never lived there.
Dave
<snippage>

<snippage>
That is very much the answer I give when my friends need something done in my shop. I'd rather take the time, do it right, and not have to explain to their spouse why they are at the emergency room.
And I sleep better at night.
I'm not paranoid. But almost ANYTHING, in anyone's shop, can reach out and bite an inexperienced user of THAT machine.
God bless you for your service. And let you keep the parts with which you came originally equipped.
Patriarch
"mel" wrote in message

myself....
Accch ... I don't know, maybe it's the needles, but my toes curl up and my skin crawls just thinking about what can happen with that sewing machine ... I'll take my chances with a table saw or router table any day.
AAMOF, I still recall having an unreasonable, but healthy respect for mom's old Singer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

When I was about 10 I put 3 stitches in the side of my finger with my mom's Singer. Probably wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't jerked away and ripped all three out through the side of my finger. Made a pretty ugly mess.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

heh... i've broke sewing machine needles off in my thumb... twice. (guess i never learn) score one for the "meaty" hands! (or is it a score for the sewing machine?)
it's isn't recommended, let me tell you.
I think my wife's husqvarna might fair better if it were to happen again. i could end up with a neatly embroidered hand. ;)
--
be safe.
flip
Philip Lewis wrote:

FWIW, I've seen industrial machines that will go through aluminum and plywood. I suspect that one of those with the right needle would have gone right through your thumb, bone and all.
--
--John
[...]

Exactlly, jerking away is the wrong option. When i out (at a similar age) 3 stitches into my finger (through the finger nail) i just turned tha hand wheel backward (my mother has a foot-operated Pfaff) and got the thread out without further damage to the finger (also neither thread nor needle had sustained any damage)so that i could resume my sewing operation with minimal hassle.

I wouldn't chuckle. Those things move fast and with loads of power. My father when he was a kid in the '40s had a quarter stitched full of seams by a cobbler's machine.
GTO(John)

also remember that the needle is small... so we're talking about 2HP of power focused on a *really* tiny area.
--
be safe.
flip

eat
myself....

eat
Wife's got one. She's a designer. That thing scares me more than any power tool I have. Even more than a 3" panel rasing bit in a Craftsman router, with no speed control... :)