OT: This ought to make you chuckle

Page 3 of 4
On Sat, 01 May 2004 21:10:02 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

That and more billable time trying to figure out what that blasted Word Imperfect did to your document THIS time...
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com wrote:

event for WordPerfect to produce the random, out-of-the-blue formatting foulups that are the unpleasant but inevitable result of using Word, made no less obnoxious by the disturbing frequency with which they occur. And when they do happen in WP, the Reveal Codes feature makes it trivially easy to figure out why, *and* to repair the damage quickly -- in stark contrast to Word in all respects.
Anyone have an old Epson printer with a current loop interface? We have a scintillation counter that would do just fine, but there is no way to look at the data since our printer went belly up ...
--
Best regards
Han

Wow, what a blast from the past. One of those big Beckmann monsters with a teletype sitting on the top? I havn't seen one of those in years, but I've still got the PM tube from one of them as a desk ornament.
Anyway, you want something like http://www.buyconverter.com/current_loop_converters/index.asp to convert from the CL interface to RS-232. I guess I'm showing my age, though, because I used to think of RS-232 as "modern". These days, it's almost as pre-historic as current loop. Most printers you can buy today will be USB or ethernet or firewire or bluetooth or some such. The last couple of computers I've bought haven't even had RS-232 ports on them.
Oh, yeah, there actually is a tie-in to woodworking. Those old Beckmann scintillation counters had a nice walnut veneer front to them. Well, maybe it was really formica, but it looked like walnut veneer :-)

No this one is very modern, with an orange formica divided, sidehinged top to access the sample compartment.

Thanks a zillion. I printed that page, because we're having trouble with the replacement table top Beckman LS 7600 (??).

The one (Packard?) I remember from the old times (when I was trying to get a Dutch Master's degree, '66-'69) had bunches of Nixie (??sp) tubes with flickering numbers. Believe it or not, back then they had a hairdryer mounted in a hood to evaporate the toluene-based scintillation fluid, so as to reduce the volume of radioactive waste.
--
Best regards
Han

I've got a few Epsons in the basement - have been buying them for (yikes) 24 years, and can't bear to throw them away because, well, none of them are broken, it's just that I buy a newer, aster, better Epson printer to replace them.
What does the "current loop interface" plug look like? I'd be happy to have a look.
Dave Hinz

email you a picture early next week. May I? My address is j dot broekman about verizon dot net.
--
Best regards
Han

You bet; my address works, & I have a fast connection, so images are just fine. Thanks for asking, though...nothing worse than being on dialup and getting a several megabyte email from someone. No guarantees, but I've got lots of stuff down there...
Dave

Ack! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Iodine 125 was where I spent a few years in the beginning of my career.
Remember old, cheap radio cases. 1/8 inch board with vinyl sewn to it. I've seen machines that will sew through 3/4 inch leather without even working hard.

Years ago,

Wasn't that the company in the early '80s that made those antique-style pimpmobiles?
GTO(John)

Dunno, are you thinking these: http://images.google.com/images?q=excalibur%20auto
Mostly off-the-shelf GM parts, except of course for the body and interior. Never drove one, and I saw the other day that they've torn down the old factory.

Which happens to be across the street from a Woodcraft. That area's been getting revitalized a bit.

Ah, see, so we _are_ on-topic after all. I'm so relieved.
Anywhere other than Woodcraft or Rockler in the area to get interesting lumber, by any chance? There used to be that place out on highway J, smoky hollow or something, but they're not there anymore.
Dave Hinz

You guys have lost me. Excaliburs were made in Sparks NV, and only there if I was informed correctly when I visited the place. I grew up in Reno, but it doesn't sound like you guys are talking about Reno/Sparks. So where was this other factory?
Curious, H.

Sounds like you were lied to, or it's a different Excalibur, or it predated the factory here.

Is (was) in, what is that, West Allis, Wisconsin I think. Pretty sure it existed, since my mom set up their upholstery department and all. They went through a bunch of different owners, maybe one iteration of the company was in Reno, who knows.
1980's until present is when the factory was in Wisconsin, maybe earlier. When was the Reno factory there?
Dave Hinz

The factory in West Allis even had the script lettering "Excalibur" on the front of the building. That building has been razed.

That was Punkin' Hollow Wood & Tool Store. They've been gone for years. Kettle Moraine Hardwood is the place to go now. They've got a location in Hartland and one in Caledonia.
An industrial sewing machine, designed to sew through 1/2"

And you are working so close to the dangerous part. No push sticks here.

You should see the sewing machines sailmakers (i.e. guys who build sails for sailboats). Some of the needles are hollow and run compressed air through the middle for cooling.
There are lots of industrial machines out there which have the capacity to kill and maim. I used to have a friend who worked in a print shop. They had a paper cutter which could cut a ream of paper in half without even slowing down. It probably wouldn't slow down cutting your hand off either. To make sure the operator didn't put their hands in the way, it had two switches (i.e. one for each hand) which had to be operated simultaneously, about 4 feet away from each other, each one hidden by a guard. I'm sure there were clever idiots who figured out how to defeat the safety mechanism.