OT: This ought to make you chuckle

reveal codes was definitely a nice feature of word perfect.
bridger writes:

I also liked the "insert and close" command for symbols. Put your dollar sign in with that and go back to typing. Word takes 2 commands, with a blink or 2 between them. A real PITA when you're using a lot of symbols.
Charlie Self "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon Bonaparte
On Sat, 01 May 2004 08:51:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com brought forth from the murky depths:

You misspelled "the only nice feature" Bridgy. Ever try to troubleshoot M$ Wurd indented/numeric list docs? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I'd -almost- prefer to use poly on some poor and unsuspecting wood.
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Sat, 01 May 2004 20:48:47 -0700, Larry Jaques

Actually, at least for those of us doing technical reports and documents, the 5.x series of Word Perfect had features that facilitated generation of those documents that are no longer present in any word processor available today. When WP went to it's 6.x series, they lobotomized the product, removing exactly the features that were most useful to me. Word? It never had them and still doesn't.

On Sun, 02 May 2004 04:52:54 +0000, Mark & Juanita wrote:

I always used the *roff *nix markup tools for technical docs...
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
Larry Jaques writes:

Yeah. Recently, I decided on a new set up for tracking article queries. Try dealing with changes in format and color when using the numeric lists inside a table. Holy Susannah! (York,that is.)
I got it done, but I'll be dipped it I can tell you how at this point.
Charlie Self "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon Bonaparte

I know what they are, and how they work. <G>
WYSISYG is still preferable to me.
Barry
On Sat, 01 May 2004 16:19:18 GMT, B a r r y

WP is fully WYSIWYG, but with the press of a button you can see *why* your formatting is going haywire. Word aggravates me because they assume it will always work out fine and in complex stuff it only takes a moment to mess it up then you end up having to cut everything out, convert to plain text to lose the imbedded codes (which are there in Word, just hidden), paste back in and re-do your formatting. WordPerfect is a tagged formatting language with a nice WYSIWYG editor on it, Word is an I don't know what, but from a power user POV it is pathetic.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Sat, 01 May 2004 12:19:41 GMT, B a r r y

Yeah, but there are still times when something gets into a paragraph or document and *insists* that is how you want to format the document. Often the only way to get rid of the persistent formatting is to delete the entire paragraph and re-type it. Sometimes you can get away with "paste as text" after the delete, but I have encountered cases where that does not happen.
What was really handy with Word Perfect is that you were able to turn on the feature to show *all* codes. You could then edit the offending code.

On the same line? The only way I have found to do that is to create a table with 3 columns, justifying each column as needed, then hiding the lines. Now, Excel will let you do that on the same line.
BTW, this is not just me, our technical pubs guy goes through absolute fits at time when Word absolutely *insists* he really meant to place that picture in such and such a way and yes, that text must abolutely be indented.

Yeah.
Check out "View Header / Footer" / "Custom"
I think it showed up in Office '97, but it may have come later.
Barry
On Sun, 02 May 2004 00:39:27 GMT, B a r r y

Hmmm, I'm using Word 2002, and I'm not seeing it. I see an "autotext" insertion option that sort of does that, but does not individually justify each element on the line.
On Sun, 02 May 2004 03:40:49 GMT, Mark & Juanita

I'll check my work machine tomorrow and let you know the steps. This computer has Office '95 on it.
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Simple way to do it in Word is with tabs. Word has tabs that are left-aligned, right-aligned, and center-aligned. Put a right-aligned tab at the right margin and a center-aligned tab at the center and you're there.
OpenOffice does the same thing.

--
--John

    Thanks, I just tried that, it does do what I want. Hadn't tried that before, it's not obvious to the casual observer. :-)

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Steve Miller's "PureText" is one of the first things that goes on anay computer I'm using. I use it all the time taking text from one Word document to another, avoiding all the style hassles.
http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext /
-- Mark

Create a new macro which just consists of edit|paste special, and assign it to Ctrl-V. Now shift insert will paste formatted and ctrl-V unformatted text.
--
Best regards
Han

All still there in WordPerfect - which is why I still use it despite all the conversion hassles with people who think that the world begins and ends with MS.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass responds:

I've forgotten most of the WP commands now...or shuffled them way back. I don't know of a single editor these days who will accept a WP document, so there's not much chance of my making a return.
Charlie Self "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon Bonaparte

Modern versions of WordPerfect will output in many file formats. Including MS-Word. WP will even _read_ files generated by MS-Word.
WP's advantages over MS-Word become more apparent, the larger the document is, the more complex the document is, and the more structured the document formatting is.
Oddly enough, WP _still_ practically owns the market for word-processing in lawyers offices. And among people doing grant proposals.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

I have read that the reason is the huge number of extant legalese WP document templates.
-- Mark