OT: This is all becoming scary surreal....

A RTC-like gubbermint agency on the trillion$-plus bad debt scale?
And let me also extend thanks to the Clinton administration, for their contribution to the latest crisis: allowing mega-conglomerate financial services outfits like AIG to come into existence.
I've always leaned toward the Democrats but knew also the difference between them and the Republicans was not in the arena of susceptibility to influence by money.
But I still maintain the Republicans with their overt and unceasing efforts to remove regulations that defended against human nature are the authors of this crisis. And we will be paying for their folly for decades to come.
D'ohBoy
[snip]

Mission accomplished.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:22:57 -0700, D'ohBoy wrote:

Sorry, but I am truly concerned when a reputed staunch Regan Republican like the Sec. of Treasury tells a room full of partisan politicians a tale that makes them come out 'white-faced' and agreeing to what you posted. And this briefing occurred in the midst of the most divisive and acrimonious political campaign I have seen since Nixon and H.H. Humphrey back in '68.
Seriously, what could have been said behind that closed door to make them all (Republicans and Democrats alike!) give lock-step support to what you have posted?
Do I really need to know, or want to know??
BTW: I shed no tears to cocky overpaid Wall Street workers who have lost their jobs. The lunch counter workers and the coffee vendors, yes, but not those 'investment bankers'.
Phil Again wrote:

'We're preparing to increase M1 by a factor of 10. You might want to consider how you'll present this to your constituants...'
(Watch http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/current/ to if it happens.)

You really do, and you probably don't.

There are (were?) a lot of good solid hard-working Wall Street workers, too. Weep for us all.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Jimmy Carter was a Republican?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

As an outside observer, I have asked myself and others, HOW the hell did he ever become president?
Boggles the mind.
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 06:22:15 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

It was the era, the time, and the mood of the country! Disco was the rage and a major social phenomenon. And don't forget the 'weed,' plus variations of white powder and drugs that soaked the minds of lots of the population.
His opponent was G Ford, who is the only person that became President of the USA without ever been elected (by the general USA voters) to President or Vice President.
J. Carter became president because it was the will of the voters. (you may draw your own conclusions about Bush W.)
Say what you will, but IMHO as an Ex-President, J. Carter has been top notch. He has provided the highest moral guidepost for peace, and has set an example on how to be an overall genial gentleman. He has given honor to his position as an Ex-President ever since January 1981. Yes, he is still a partisan Liberal Politician. And I for one had no expectation that a man of his personal honor and prestige would bow to the foreign policy whims of Bush W.
And don't forget he was given the honor of being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002. And the treaty between Israel and Egypt from 1978 is still being enforced these 30 years later.
Let's see: 4 years of being President compared to 30 years of excellent Former-President service. Fair trade in my book.
"Robatoy" wrote:

did he ever become president?
Very simple, he was running against Gerald Ford, the man who pardoned Nixon.
The country never forgave him, including me.
It wasn't until after his death that I changed my position and admitted that he had made the best decision for the country.
Lew
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 01:09:05 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

No, but Phil Gramm certainly is.

That probably explains why Rueben and Summers have been asked to weigh in.
Dave in Houston