OT - this group is alone

Page 2 of 2
dpb wrote:

Yes, but do you want that Eternal September crowd? Before Eternal September started, I doubt there was more activity than now. I wouldn't mind if it moved toward the way it was.
--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

It's not dead, it's just being leached off of
http://www.homeownershub.com/
see your own post 3rd one down in the middle
On 9/10/2013 1:14 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Yep, that is something you would have had a tough time getting away with back in the early days of Usenet, before the big ISP's and corporate advertising, when a bunch of sympathetic and knowledgable sysadmins running BIND could still play hell with a rogue site that was not playing nice. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"ChairMan" wrote in message

This is rather amusing... I never heard of the site so I went to look. To my surprise an item I posted years ago about the LI Woodworking Show shows up as a "Best Rated Discussion."
I also took a look at the Google Groups thing and found stuff of mine there 20+ years old...
It is no wonder the search engines come up with millions of hits (though there are really only 100 that have been pirated!)
John
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:14:00 -0500, ChairMan wrote:

I just posted the following to them:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ I just discovered that you are ripping off posts to rec.woodworking and posting them here. Without attribution to rec.woodworking.
While this may not be illegal, it strikes me as reprehensible.
I will suggest to the wreck members that they start posting messages calling out your behavior. Will you keep ripping us off then? -----------------------------------------------------------------------
So lets start muttering about homeownershub and their piracy in every message :-).
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
On 9/10/13 8:29 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

All those groups are floppy discs compared to what's available now.
--

-MIKE-

As long as I can keep typing and building. john
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
I read about 10 different newsgroups. With the proliferation of other online sources and the dropping of Usenet by several providers, the traffic in my newsgroups has been slowly going away.
For the last week or so, this newsgroup has been the only one with posts - not counting an occasional troller/spammer who gets through the filters.
Wonder how long this group will keep going?
carrying a cross.
On 9/10/2013 11:11 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Probably not very long.
A troll going by the name Harry along with a few others have destroyed two boating newsgroups. Harry is now working on Alt. Home.Repair. One of his puppets is posting on this group now. Often playing the part of a buffoon.
They will succeed here as well because usernet people cannot control themselves. The trolls simply start off topic controversial threads and the usernet people go off the deep end.
Sex, politics, religion and racism are their favorites topics. Throw in some bad language then watch the fireworks.
The trolls can be beat but it takes some will power on behalf of the users. You simply do not respond to any off topic thread regardless of how ignorant or immoral it may sound.
Mark my words and keep this thread in mind. The trolls do it for fun and there is no better target for them than a bunch of indignant old men.
LdB

I have seen trolls come and go, they have been here and lost interest.
Guess we are not any fun in this group.
On 9/12/2013 6:14 PM, Markem wrote:

I am not impressed with the Facebook concept. It is bad enough on the newsgroups when people (I have done that) respond without completely reading the post they are responding to. I can image what it is like receiving a bunch of random sentences about the subject your are trying to follow.
On 9/12/2013 12:09 PM, LdB wrote:

An English teacher assigned her class to write a short story mystery using profanity, religion, politics and sex. One student handed in a paper that said simply, "My God!", said the Queen. "I wonder who did it?" He got an A.
Is that far enough off the deep end? Is this destroying ARM?
On 9/10/13 12:11 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I am one of the moderators at misc.taxes.moderated, and post there have slowed to less traffic than here.
I've lurked here since the mid-80's, and it's amazing this group is still going strong in comparison to many others. There's a population that doesn't know what usenet is and worse, think that initialisms are a teen invention for twitter. I try to teach them that IMHO, SWMBO, YMMV are all old enough to be the grandparents of these teens.
My bet? A good decade to go.
On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:58:53 -0400, JoeTaxpayer

Nah! It will go longer than that as long as middle agers here keep turning into old geezers like the rest of us.
At the very worst, this newsgroup might turn into retro.rec.woodworking and gain new life by doing so. :)