OT: This going to be good. (Formula One)

Page 2 of 3
Kevin wrote:

I remember people rolling on the floor laughing at Ford's choice of drivers for LeMans in '67.
--John

1960s were truly a Golden Era. Guys would race Indy and F1 (and Le Mans!) in the same year. People laughed at Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt?? I guess they showed 'em! I love how the GT40Mk IV had the "Gurney bubble" in the roof to accommodate Gurney's tall frame.
Kevin
Kevin wrote:

Yep, some of my friends thought it was hilarious, some NASCAR guy thinks he can win LeMans in of all things a _FORD_.
I kind of feel sorry for Enzo Ferrari though--I suspect that he went to his grave still trying to figure out what hit him.
--John

Clear across town, now - 96th & I-69. Geist/Fishers
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

In the Land of the Traffic Jams... :-) Give me a shout if you're ever down my way.
--
Regards,
Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 4:46pm snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (BARRY) posted that:

Unlimited Air Racing at Reno. Turning laps 150+mph FASTER than ANY other form of motorsports you care to name. And that's in 60+ year old machines.
Can you say 500 miles an hour? Rare Bear & Strega can.
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........
On Oct 7, 7:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) tapped out in Morse code: .

You talkin' swamp buggies? Those guys are sooo nuts..in a good way.

Hamilton had everything wrapped up until his crash. If only he had replaced the tires....
Jim

Great end coming up to a great season. Nothing compares to F1 when it comes to motor sport (ok, Group B rally cars, but they banned those in 1986). Hamilton is likely to win it all, but I'm hoping for two McLaren breakdowns in Brazil, and a Ferrari 1-2!
Kevin

That would be pretty cool. I'm a bit disappointed in McLaren and that whole espionage thing.

I missed those, as they didn't get much coverage in the USA. A local friend of mine from South Africa via the UK, brought me up to speed on them. He's got a large collection of models, books, and photos with a good representation of Group B.
Man, o'man...
Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 6:51pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@email.unc.edu (Kevin) <snip> (ok, Group B rally cars, but they banned those in 1986) <snip>
Ooh, ooh, yeah, yeah, yeah. Group B cars. Forgot about them. I want an Audi Quattro.

It would be smart on McLaren's part to yank Alonzo from the final race and replace him with Pedro de la Rosa. It's the only way McLaren can be sure a McLaren driver will take the championship. Pedro de la Rosa may be helpful in keeping the Ferraris from running away with the race -- all Hamilton would have to do is place well.
Alonzo won't be with McLaren next year and has no loyalty to anyone but himself. Hamilton doesn't have to win, he just has to stay close to Alonzo. If Hamilton is on Alonzo's tail near the end of the Brazilian race, Alonzo's only chance for a championship is to take out Hamilton, hoping he (Alonzo) can continue after the incident. This would be a repeat of what Schumacher did to Mika Hakkinen at Macau, an incident which thrust Schumacher into the limelight for F-1 and from which Hakkinen (IMHO) never recovered.
My guess -- if McLaren allows Alonzo to race, at some point he will try to take out Hamilton and they'll both DNF, giving the championship to Kimi.

I agree with you, I tend to think Alonzo is capable of just about anything. He clearly has no love for Hamilton, and like most drivers, coming in 2nd is no better than coming in last. It's going to be a very interesting finish!
Kevin

Since Alonso is leaving McLaren at the end of the season, I think he will be lucky to find wheels on his car when the lights go green. He will certainly have to pump his own gas in the pitstops.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, maybe they shouldn't run him at all.

He has a theoretical chance of winning the World Championship. In order to at least gain a semblance of striving for the moral high ground, they have to let him race.

That just goes to show that all kinds of decisions go into a win. Bad ones into a loss. It's all teamwork.

That was good.... just wow...just plain wow