OT: They don't style them like this anymore.

A guy I worked for in '62 had a DS 19. One day, it cranked up on its hydraulic suspension and would come down...during the drive from Northern Westchester (Goldens Bridge) to William Street in NYC. He parked it, and came back and it was down and wouldn't come up. I think his next car was a Pontiac.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

You noted I was talking about our honeymoon? It was the cheapest and roomiest car you could rent for the money.

"Lelijke eend", yes indeed a loving nickname!

Indeed the suspension was very "giving"!

For that we used the VW Vanagon or whatever it was called then and there.

Let's not get into that. There are stil many, many lovely places in Holland/Netherlands, as we found out on our bicycle trip last summer (Nijmegen-Almelo and vice versa, some by train because we were too chicken to cycle through the rain).

Reply to
Han

I said nothing about reliability...LOL. The suspension's concept was brilliant. Great when it worked. To change a tire, set suspension on HIGH, then put an axle stand under the chassis, remove fender (for the back wheels) and reset suspension to LOW. The wheel would rise off the ground and the tire change was simple.

Oh, another 'great' idea was the elevation of the turn signal lights to the upper back window corners. Some models, like the SM (Maser motor) had steerable headlights.

It's okay to have good ideas, but make them reliable.

Reply to
Robatoy

We're speaking of the French, now, right? Reliability is built-in at the riot.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Anf for those who don't get that, a riot is what you get when you make "unreasonable" demands on the French working class. A demand for quality is not reasonable.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Similarly, Brit bike riders from the streak of oil up their back. I still have (I think) my old, yellow windbreaker with its oil stripe from back in my Norton days (late '60s).

Of course it may have been worse for Norton riders because of the automatic chain oiler...Didn't anyone test ALL the ramifications of that concept before taking it to market?

Reply to
LRod

You buy a Frog car, you get what you deserve.

Lew .

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm really wanting to do a trip like that.

Reply to
B A R R Y

H2 SUT = Ultra Silly!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Is it any wonder all these companies are in trouble?

"Let's see here...where can we hang some more gaudy plastic do-nothing parts..."

LOL...I just remembered... do you recall those yellow/brown plastic trunk straps they put on blue Thunderbirds? They're revisiting that era, I think...

Reply to
Robatoy

B A R R Y wrote in news:%0Evj.58434$Pv2.50386 @newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

Better start saving! The US $ has devalued from $0.85 to $1.48 per ?. And in my experience, the Europeans spend a ? like we spend a $. That was OK when it was $0.85/?, but now !!!!

Reply to
Han

By the late '60s, I'd transferred to rice burners. First, a Honda Superhawk, then a Yamaha RD350 (with a short--very short and unpleasant--interlude with a factory prototype TX750, a royal POS). I was also doing the paella bit, with an OSSA enduro bike.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Those Yammies were nuts! Two-stroke, right?

Reply to
Robatoy