OT: They don't style them like this anymore.

Page 5 of 5
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:59:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

By the way (further to my above reply), I think it's interesting that there are at least four modern vehicles to displace the all time ugliest vehicle prior to their ascendancy--the Renault 2CV.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Oops. Citroen 2CV.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

went 80 km/hr when going downhill on the autobahn! Trucks hated it when I had to go into the slow lane when going uphill ... That shift lever sticking out of he dashboard! Those comfy simple seats you could take out of the car for picknicks!
--
Best regards
Han

Yes, but you didn't want to have to sit in the middle of the back seat. That tube would carve you another butt-crack. (Aside from it being awfully cramped back there). My sister had a lot of friends at Leiden University who drove these things. That is also where I was exposed to the Citroen 11B, such as the one I started the OP with.
The old joke was, (about the 2CV aka Ugly Duckling "Eend") Q: Why are the door knobs on the 2CV so small? A: So they won't scrape the street when rounding a corner.
The car was very innovative for its day with front wheel drive, opposing cylinders, adjustable headlights from inside, oil/air suspension and great mileage. With the back-seat removed, as Han mentioned, and the roof rolled back (like a old-time sardine can) a Duck could move most of a student's belongings in one trip.
There was a 'wagon' version of it as well delivering a lot of bread and stuff all over Europe.
One of my dad's clients (he is an accountant) had a DS 19 Citroen. That was the smoothest ride I have ever experienced. Bar none.
Now I'm getting nostalgic.... but no desire to go back to visit, that place is like the outskirts of Paris now... totally ruined.

A guy I worked for in '62 had a DS 19. One day, it cranked up on its hydraulic suspension and would come down...during the drive from Northern Westchester (Goldens Bridge) to William Street in NYC. He parked it, and came back and it was down and wouldn't come up. I think his next car was a Pontiac.

I said nothing about reliability...LOL. The suspension's concept was brilliant. Great when it worked. To change a tire, set suspension on HIGH, then put an axle stand under the chassis, remove fender (for the back wheels) and reset suspension to LOW. The wheel would rise off the ground and the tire change was simple.
Oh, another 'great' idea was the elevation of the turn signal lights to the upper back window corners. Some models, like the SM (Maser motor) had steerable headlights.
It's okay to have good ideas, but make them reliable.

We're speaking of the French, now, right? Reliability is built-in at the riot.

Anf for those who don't get that, a riot is what you get when you make "unreasonable" demands on the French working class. A demand for quality is not reasonable.
Somebody wrote:

You buy a Frog car, you get what you deserve.
Lew .

You noted I was talking about our honeymoon? It was the cheapest and roomiest car you could rent for the money.

"Lelijke eend", yes indeed a loving nickname!

Indeed the suspension was very "giving"!

For that we used the VW Vanagon or whatever it was called then and there.

Let's not get into that. There are stil many, many lovely places in Holland/Netherlands, as we found out on our bicycle trip last summer (Nijmegen-Almelo and vice versa, some by train because we were too chicken to cycle through the rain).
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Lucky Han!
I'm really wanting to do a trip like that.

in my experience, the Europeans spend a like we spend a $. That was OK when it was $0.85/, but now !!!!
--
Best regards
Han
Charlie Self wrote:

Man, what was I smoking last night? I drive a 97, not an 86; IIRC, 86 had the kind of styling I really liked, the 97 was the new more rounded style -- like the pickup, but the styling is not near as esthetically pleasing as the cleaner lined earlier styles IMO.

I borrowed if from somewhere, I think a comic strip from the 80's, "Peaches" or something like that.

I may be. I know the early 70's didn't have that styling, it was probably some time during the 80's.

I certainly agree regarding the small engines.