OT: They don't style them like this anymore.

Page 3 of 5
Charlie Self wrote:

Now that's just foolish. Aerodynamics come into play in fuel efficiency at VERY low speeds. If it weren't for rolling resistance and air resistance you could just give your car a push first thing in the morning and it would keep going all day long. No need for an engine at all!

Safety and fuel efficiency certainly limit what engineers can/should when designing a car. Sorry Charlie, but that's just the truth. When you design a chair, do you just make whatever shape you want without regard for stability or strength? No, (with the exception of 'art only' pieces) and it's the same with any design.
Now certainly they can make different designs than are currently stylish. And I for one hope they don't go back to the bad old days of monster fenders, fins, bug-eyed headlamps, and other ugly inefficient accouterments. Compare that pic of yours to pics of all of its contemporaries and predecessors and what I see is just another mediocre piece of lazy engineering that varies little from the others of it's time. Pleasing lines to some, but not to others. That's just a point of personal preference.
Somebody wrote:

The only thing that can be said about those years is "..What a friggin joke"
My first new car was from the '60 model year, I held my nose and bought one out of necessity, not because I was impressed.
If you remember, '60 was the year that gave us the Corvair, the Valient, and I forget what POS Ford was offering in competition.
Lew

The concept of the Corvair was a great idea. When done right, you end up with a set-up that makes nothing but sense. Porsche believes it.... and now so do I.
http://www.audi.ca/audi/ca/en2/new_cars/Audi_R8.html
CARPE DIEM!
Robatoy wrote:

If that R8 doesn't get your blood pumping... you may as well be driving a Yugo.

It is pricey but by no means unattainable.... not like an Enzo or an over-priced Lambo (Ha! The Diablo has an Audi engine...*EG*)
Robatoy wrote:

I like the Toyota powered Lotus cars.
A dependable British car! <G>
"Robatoy" wrote:
The concept of the Corvair was a great idea. When done right, you end up with a set-up that makes nothing but sense. Porsche believes it.... and now so do I.
Porsche doesn't do it for me.
Hell, I can't even get in a Corvette.
For me a car is strictly a piece of rapidly depreciating personal property the you buy new, drive 60,000 miles to the junk yard, get out of and get in the next one.
Must say that attitude has changed with the purchase of my Tonka Toy which has over 115,000 and doesn't appear to even be warmed up yet.
Lew
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:00:50 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Hey, I owned one of those Valiant's. 225 slant six, three on the column, no air, no radio, rubber floor mats and vinyl seats. It was cheap, very reliable tranportation.
I and drove one of those upscale Corvairs, what was it called a monza or spider or whatever. An absolute thrill to drive. You never had to slow for corners and it would stay absolutely flat in the turn. Now if they could have figured out how to keep that motor from falling out the back end........and if ole Ralph hadn't happend along....
Ford was offering the Falcon. Now there was an abomination, at least the entry level version.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

My mother had one of those. So did my best friend in high school. He was a bit out of touch with reality--he honestly believed that driving his "Foulcoon" he could have beaten Peter Gregg in a works Porsche because unlike Peter, he "didn't have anything to lose". My mother's wasn't bad for the time--kept your butt off the ground and the rain off your head and got you to the grocery store. Drove across the US twice in it with cats (the cats are significant because with cats in the car you can't open the windows very far lest there shortly after be fewer cats in the car) and that was _not_ much fun especially since it was Jacksonville to San Diego in the summer the first time. I think that that was the last non-air-conditioned car she owned.
--John
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:22:13 -0500, "J. Clarke"

parakeet in a cage and all the luggage and supplies necessary to sustain them, Biloxi, MS to Severna Park, MD, and back in August in one of those early model, six cylinder, non-air conditioned, Falcon station wagons. I still have nightmares.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Ack. Horrors. I thought that _I_ had had a bad trip.
--John

I will NOT imagine that. Can't. My mind won't let me.

and a car full of drunk Tommy-gun-totin' gangsters smoking big cigars! In one of these:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Bucciali.jpg
Damn, I love the looks of that thing... and such a super-cool logo/ badge.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/1932LOGO.jpg
what do you get if you cross a valiant with a comet. vomit ross

Christ. You didn't even have to drop acid to have a bad trip.

There's a '63-1/2 Falcon convertible with the, I think, 302 engine...
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 03:15:49 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self

260 I think unless they had a special edition model which I don't remember.
Far cry from that earlier entry trim version. My Dad had one of those. What a nightmare.
Frank

You're probably right: this was a special edition, though, and from what the owner told me, Ford didn't produce too many. Ah, from what the records say, Forrd kicked out 4,278 of the Sprint convertible, no numbers available on what engines, though. OK. From what Bobby told me, it was the Challenger V8, 289. Maybe it really was.
I think there is an odds on chance that the car was a precursor to the Mustang, which appeared on the half year (April) of '64.
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:48:04 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self

The 289 displacement motor was for sure.

Uh, actually, I had a friend with a Covair and there was NOTHING wrong with the car, and we all drove our cars pretty hard back then, a lot of the time on dirt roads...not in '60, though I was twisting wires on helicopters for the Marines. I have owned at least a half dozen Valiants over the years, and while none provided any excitement, they all did what they were supposedly designed to do, carried five adults in modest comfort over a 200,000+ mile lifespan. That's with the slant 6, of course.