OT: They don't style them like this anymore.

Page 1 of 5
I have always been very fond of this design. (Front wheel drive too)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/1955.jpg

A classic road design we will never see again.
BTW, how do you get the pics up on photobucket without all the other ads, buttons, ratings and other claptrap?
Robert

I either upload to my own server or I pay a little for theirs. I like theirs because it limits bandwidth to mine. It's cheap enough.
Robatoy wrote:

Yep, the esthetics of that design are quite pleasing, aren't they? Even though the design is dated, it still looks good.

I supply wood (white ash) to a guy that builds replica old vintage cars like auburns and he's done a number of 1938 mercadies. these old cars have wooden body frame work wrapped in steel. he runs flat sheets of steel though trip hammers and english rollers to make the fenders and all.. unbelievable work. also he gets huge money for them needless to say. last time i made a delivery he was making 2 cars for some rich guy in russia and after having to wait for the wood from me was very happy when i finally delivered. he said he was getting afraid the ruskey was going to send the guy's with the long black coats to visit him. I told him if they show up give me a call and i'll send up the guy's with the long black dresses, that otta scare the hell outta em. ross

Mark,
I sometimes wonder if those old designs really are dated, or if we've moved our tastes into a less pleasing area just to keep up with the times. I think the last interesting year for American cars was probably '59 or '60. Yeah, those Chevies with the sideways fins were uuuuugly, but they sure were distinctive looking. What out there today has any kind of design feature that stands out? A trunk airfoil? Well, it's decorative and it only comoes out on probably 87% of all cars. Has to be decorative, because they don't do squat until something like 100 MPH.
Anyway, what I'm saying, I guess, is that today's auto design is so damned mediocre that none of them will ever be classic in any classical sense.
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, they've really screwed things up by giving priority to silly things like impact protection and aerodynamics. 200lb fenders and bugeyed headlights were so much more important.

Styling. We're talking about styling. Today's cars are ugly, regardless of reason.
After all, people drop 5 million on a 32 Duesenberg because it is safe?
:)
Robatoy wrote:

If you don't think that designing to strict standards for crash survival and aerodynamic performance places limits on styling, think again.

Didn't slow the Prowler design team much.
Robatoy wrote:

Saw one of those yesterday. Man, that's a beautiful car. If they hadn't priced it so high, they could have sold a LOT of them.
Robatoy wrote:

Time calls it one of the worst 100 cars ever! http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658544_1658536,00.html
While I agree the thing REALLY needed a manual gearbox, I still think it's a sweet ride.
DS wrote:

My neighbor has _4_ of them, but it's his money. <G>
If my car budget had $240,000, I might choose differently.

The Prowler will eventually be a classic, despite the inability of the Time writer to figure out how to lay rubber with an auto transmission and a V6.
It's kind of a long term investment, though, probably another 20-25 years to time to cash in. Or maybe not if Barrett-Jackson keeps boosting the auction prices.
Charlie Self wrote:

My neighbor should have sprung for the matching trailers, as well.

I happen to think that today's styles are every bit as attractive as the styling I grew up with (that Charlie makes reference to), but I don't think you really understand too much about those cars. 200lb fenders? Those cars were what they were. Just like today, they were a reflection of what people wanted back then. Comparing them to today is meaningless. Inaccurate comparisons are worthless.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Yes, 200lb was an exaggeration, I know you never see that on the internet, so I can understand your confusion. It was the OP that compared them to today's designs. I was merely pointing out a couple of valid reasons why todays designers are operating under different constraints than yesterdays.

Not confusion - just a pet peeve.

Part of my pet peeve (though not completely...) is that otherwise valid points get completely lost in bad exaggerations. I hate to see a good point get wasted.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Point well taken.

Speaking of points.. you get to adjust the angle AND gap on the fly in this Benz.. none of this vacuum crap.
http://www.motorsportscenter.com/uploads/benz_cockpit_full.jpg