OT: Then and now

Page 1 of 3
The new fed budget is 3.8 trillon
The fed budget 60 years ago - 1950 - was a bit less than 45 billion. Adjust that for government caused inflation and it would be about 360 billion.
That means the feds are now costing us 10+ times what they used to. I don't think we are getting our money's worth.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 2/2/2010 7:41 AM, dadiOH wrote:

security insurance and also used it in the excessive spending.
I wish what I had contributed to social security for the last 50 years had been in my 401k. I would have significantly more money to live on than what the "well run" govenment management (read mis management) of my money.
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:13:07 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

That's true only if you paid the maximum, or nearly paid it. If you had been lower on the income scale you would more than recover the money that you and your employers put in. What the equivalent interest rate would be I don't know.
In my particular case, even though I was on the high end, I have myself, my wife, and my ex-wife all getting SS based on my payments. So overall, we may well still recover more than I plus my employers paid.
Which merely opens the other end of the argument - that we're living on government handouts - you can't win :-).

I wonder...Will the United States declare bankruptcy? No way possible to pay back 9 trillion, no way! So what does our leader do? NOTHING! We are in desperate need of a leader who is serious about financial responsibility. I've flipped from Democrat to Republican. Bless you Scott Brown!!!

It's over $12T and that doesn't include unfunded mandates like SS and federal pensions. In reality it's well North of $50T.

No, he's spent *lots* more.

Carter did that for me. Every Demonicrat since has dug the hole deeper. Though, to be fair, the Rs haven't done a wonderful job with the budget either. The lesser of evils has to go to the R's, though.

One of which was discretionary and a HUGE blunder.

Of course, Obama's administration started with a MAJOR recession (damn near a depression), continues to fight the terrorist onslaught, and fight two wars.
I'm just saying, despite the increase during Obama's first year, it's the Republican admistrations that have rung up the first 10 trillion since 1980.
I'm a staunch independant and blame anybody who deserves it.
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

Then you should be blaming Congress.

Also, I don't know where you got the $1.4 trillion number. Based on this site:
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt.htm
the number is more like 4.35 trillion (9-30-2000 through 9-30-2008).
-Zz

Or was it due the vastly increased productivity associated with the adoption of desktop PC's and the internet? Or was it due to the documented decreased crime rate resulting from Roe v. Wade 17 yrs previously (ugly as the conclusion is)? And why didn't the peace dividend kick in during Bush Sr's administration? Heard of beer goggles? You got partisan goggles on. THe fact is that since 1980, the first $8 to $9 trillion were added on mostly by Republican administrations.
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

Presidents don't do budgets, congress does. Which party controlled congress during the spending sprees?

GOOD point Doug, I'd have to check.
Sooooooo, Reagan didn't win the cold war? Congress did?
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

Right, congress went to Reykjavik and told Gorby to "tear down that wall".

Yeah, THAT'S what convinced them, fer sure. After they watched his B-movies, and hearing that, they were shaking in their boots. And after Congress bankrolled the real victory? Which is it?
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

Ah, you mean words don't matter - like "Ask not..."? Or the voters of 2008 buying into the "Yes we can, Hoax & change, etc" after untolds of millions came in from unknown donors? Which is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIcDdWgBELY&NR=1

Phisherman wrote:

Sure there is. Inflation, current dollar worth a dime.
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

It looks like Greece might soon.

Actually, it is more like $12T. But we've been in worse debt before. Not in absolute amounts, but relative to GDP, which is a better reflection of our ability to repay. That $12T is about 80% of GDP. We got to 120% of GDP in the late '40s.
So my take is that the debt is higher than it ought to be, we need to do something about it, but we are not in trouble yet.
-- Doug
On 2/2/2010 8:50 AM, Phisherman wrote:

I feel your pain. I've certainly not "flipped ... to Republican". I can only recall voting for an R Presidential candidate twice in 30 years. But - thanks to that very same irresponsible administration and party now in power - I think, come November, I'm going to do something I've never done - pull a straight R vote. It's not that I love the Rs - they're mostly as lousy as the Ds. It's just that with a more balanced distribution of power, they'll spend more of their time arguing and actually doing less, which will be very good for the nation.
OTOH, the fiscal irresponsibility you see comes first from the population at large that hires its politicians to go get them "free" stuff. The politicians respond by spending money we don't have. To fix this mess requires the entire population to become personally responsible fiscally ... it ain't gonna happen.

My tentative plan is to vote against the incumbents regardless of party. Some people need to get fired. -- Doug