OT: the wife's surgery

Things don't always go as planned no matter how great the surgeon.

But you can bet that they will be watching her closer now that they've had a mishap.

Hang in there and think positive. I'm a firm believer than even unconscious folks perceive the vibes of those around them.

Godspeed to your entire family.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Just found the thread, sorry I missed it earlier. Add another old reprobate with no other-wordly connections to the list of good thoughts and hopes for a speedy recovery. It may not count for much, but as the little old lady said as she tinkled in the ocean, every little bit helps.

Here's to a Happy New Year and better times ahead

/vic from rcw

Reply to
VRadin

(snip the story of a pretty tough day in the hospital)

That's a darned rough day for any family. Hang in there and give your whole crew the support that they need.

FWIW, I can tell you that post-operative patients always look very rough for the first 24 hours after surgery. She will get better. And if the doc says her prognosis is excellent, then you can assume that things are looking pretty positive -- because the docs always err on the side of caution rather than optimism.

I have some experience in this area, also. My daughter had three major heart surgeries as an infant. Those were some very difficult times. I took up woodworking partly as a way to keep my mind off the stress. Now, a few years later, she's doing great and I've got an enjoyable hobby.

IMHO, you may be surprised at how strong and resilient people can be.

Best wishes, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

We don't get to compare or contrast our challenges with those that others face - those are irrelevant to our current challenge. The world isn't against us. God isn't ticked at us right now (or at least probably not) We don't live a comparative life. We each live the one we have, and deal with the challenges in front of us. Sometimes they are caused by our choices, often not.

How we deal with stress, challenge, uncertainty, loss, success, joy, fear and unfairness both molds and reveals our character, and that of those around us.

You seem to be bearing up just fine. Continue to lean on your family and friends, even the ones you have only met on the bitstream. We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers, as evidenced by the many messages from around the net.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

not of you're dumping it at the cleaners.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

:)

Do racing stripes count as colors? :)

If she does, I don't know what it looks like.

Beep? Washers BEEP now? I musta bought a crappy one. It's a Fridga Tagmore or something. It has a ball for this purpose. I cleaned it out while she was in the hospital last time, so I know all about that. It was blocked with a little hunk of wood. Wonder how that got in there?

"Wash'n'Wear" huh? I don't have a setting by that name. No Satanic Heat either. I've been using "Automatic Regular." It's supposed to have some kind of fuzzy logic CPU to figure out when the clothes are dry and save you energy by stopping early, but I have to dry everything 47 times before it gets dry, and I don't think that automatic dooflatchie has ever stopped a cycle short either. (Actually three times for towels and stuff, twice for most other things, once for 1/4 load of socks. It never has dried worth a damn, and no, there's nothing wrong with the ducts and stuff.)

Better plan.

:) I washed a red shirt with the socks and underwear in our first weeks of marriage. That's why I'm forbidden to touch these machines ever again.

Reply to
Silvan

We appreciate it. I'm printing out all of these messages for her. Even the ones from Larry. It's a get well card that has to be bound because a stapler isn't quite beefy enough to handle the load.

It worked perfectly well for me too until I got married.

Reply to
Silvan

Oh yeah, I didn't do that. Well, on a scale of 1 to 10, she was a -5 yesterday. Today she was a -2. Tomorrow we're hoping for 0.

Two days is out the window, and I figure three days is out the window too. I'm thinking maybe Friday. Maybe.

I'm wondering what happens if she stays in until Saturday. Maybe my deductible rolls over and I get to drop another grand. Whee. But if it happens it happens. I don't give a flying rat about the money until after.

Reply to
Silvan

Friends in the bitstream are about the only kind I have anymore, but stuff like all of this just gives me more ammo to fire at the people who tell me I don't have any "real friends."

I'm glad you folks are out there, and I do appreciate the support.

Reply to
Silvan

only if they were there before you wore them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I think that, while some of you folks mean well, you have needlessly complicated the process of doing laundry. Just follow the simple steps:

  1. Put dirty stuff in pile.
  2. Open door to washer.
  3. Put pile in washer.
  4. Dump in some soap (usually found near the washer and probably comes in a large box).
  5. Rummage near where you found soap for other stuff like "softener", "bleach", and the like.
  6. Put a bit of each into washer.
  7. Start washer (usually done with a dial on the front; set to beginning of next "cycle" and pull center know out (or in, I forget)).
  8. Have celebratory beer.
  9. When washer gets quiet, open door, take out laundry.
  10. If white stuff is now colored, start again at step 2 with more "bleach" and less soap. Repeat until all laundry is white.

Tune in next week for the episode entitled "dryer instructions" when we'll hear SWMBO say "Yer a dumbshit! You followed instructions given by some asshole with a number in his name!!?"

sigh, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

[snip]

You all know the name given to the fenderhead that graduates dead last in his medical school class?

It's DOCTOR.

grit, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

And watch those temps ! Only the heavy-duty whites should go on hot, while the rest should go on warm/warm or warm/cold (wash/rinse)

Reply to
GregP

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:22:55 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

Chunk of tubafore and an 1/8 x 1" crown staple oughta do the trick.

It works again now that the mfgrs have put color-safe bleach in the detergent. I also use Simple Green in the wash at times. It helps with scents you don't want, like that splash of Oops! or dollop of caulking, or...

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A lot of stuff doesn't have to go in the dryer anyway-- just hang it up someplace where the air can circulate and it's dry in a couple of hours. The exception is cotton (typically towels, socks, underwear, and the occasional cotton shirt, and denim jeans if you wear those). Skip the automatic setting (which probably doesn't work anyway) and put it in a nice long cycle on medium heat.

Even the cotton stuff would probably air-dry overnight. You can still buy collapsible drying racks for something like $20. Operating cost is $0.

Washing machines are actually easier at the laundromat-- they have either a knob or a row of buttons with labels like "whites", "colors", "permanent press", and "delicate", which gives you a clue about what to put in each load (maybe they know a lot of their customers are single guys :-). No other settings. Everything I own is either "whites" or "colors".

I'm off to the laundromat right now...

Reply to
Ron Bean

I'll add that your wife will bless you if you air dry everything that's either Nylon or elastic/stretchy (like bras and pantyhose.) As we all know, it was for drying these items that show curtain rods were invented. ;-)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

This is a keeper. My mom actually taught me how to do laundry, but I've since discovered that you can wash everything together on warm wash, cold rinse, normal cycle if you don't own any really good stuff. One time when I was in the laundry room at the dorm at college I watched a guy come in and start packing clothes into the washer. When no more would fit he actually got on top and stomped the last bit in. He added soap and quarters and left. When he returned he pulled all the clothes out (some were still dry in spots) and stuffed them in the dryer. Added quarters again and split. When the dryer had stopped he removed all and headed back to his room, totally happy. I did wonder what he was majoring in.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

The bras and the pantyhose go in the mesh bags, not together. Might even want to put them in with the appropriate color/white load. DON'T use the dryer on them. Call me if this is a serious thread and I'll talk you through it.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Har! That's a good one. A help line for isolated men needing washing and dryer machine support. I'm sure there could be a promising future in it for you Dave. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Nah, that's why I bought a comb binding machine. If I can't get a staple through it, off to the binder it goes.

shellac stains...

Well, Mom the laundry fairy had the machines making swhooshing and thumping noises when I got home from l'hopital today, so I guess I don't have to worry about it yet. Thanks Mom!

Reply to
Silvan