OT: The value of Ethanol

Page 4 of 6
Robatoy wrote:

I think you missed the bit that I extracted in the above paragraph. They're growing corn instead of hops.
Chris

They're ripping up hop fields and replacing them with corn....

"Oh the humanity!!!" :-}In
To tell you the truth, I never even knew there such things as 'hop fields'. Then again, there must be such a thing. Just never thought about it.
Robatoy wrote:

FWIW, one of the main streets in Simsbury, CT is "Hopmeadow Street". There's a state park named "Devil's Hopyard" ("Devil" is apparently a corruption of "Dibble" who according to legend was the owner of the hopyard in question). Not really grown in "fields" though, it's a flowering vine that is grown on trellises or arbors. As a matter of trivia, it's scientific name is "humulus lupulus". It has a close relative, "humulus cannabis sativa".
--John

even. Humulus is a subspecies of Cannabaceae as cannabis is also a subspecies (and another 170 or so)
So... that's -1 on Chemistry -1 on Israel -1 on Botany
Next!
Robatoy wrote:

Just because you think it doesn't make it true, Robatoy. You got me on tht one but you're still an idiot.
--John

Robatoy wrote:

Right the same way Rush Limbaugh is "right".
--John

But can you use it to brew beer? Huh, can you? Can you?
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Robatoy wrote: ...

And, unfortunately, it's that same level of awareness that is about that of the "pontificators and thinkers" of the Washington Post, etc., that attempt to influence farm policy... :(
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:52:13 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Absolutley, and the shortage of hops is much greater in certain countries in Europe where the subsidies for growing biofuel materials are greater and have been in place longer. Read an article recently about the price of good German beer to increase by 25% because of the hop shortage.
Frank

Since it takes (give or take) 1 ounce of dried hops for 10 gallons of beer any beer price increase would more likely be grain prices and/or simply profit taking......Rod
http://schmidling.com/hops.htm

I wouldn't want to drink that beer. It would be WAY under hopped.
I homebrew, and typically use 2-4 ounces for a 5 gallon batch. Depends on beer style which determines bitterness level (IBU) and hop aroma.
Some recipes if you are interested: (http://www.hbd.org/brewery/cm3/CatsMeow3.html )
Hops are already getting more expensive and in short supply. Check out this poor guy: http://www.justhops.com /
Read a little blurb about why it is on the minds of craft brewers. http://www.beertown.org/craftbrewing/index.html

Which is why the brewers who suffer are the ones who brew the beers that matter. Rod and Betty Jo won't be affected as Coors Litey beers suffer from flavor impairment. Cheap to make, cheap to drink. I've already seen prices rise at the local breweries. The other option is even less appealing.
Cheers, Jeff

I can't comment on Rod and Betty, but I am VERY familiar with the type you are describing.

The big discussions for homebrewers these days is 'growing your own hops'. I have never tried it and probably never will.
And hop alternatives. Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures?
http://forums.moreflavor.com/viewtopic.php?p $6005&sid=d8c201eaf6de1545438282e73fb9ab
http://www.tedbrews.com/2007/11/no-hopswell-then-no-hops.html
Which is why the brewers who suffer are the ones who brew the beers

Hey I can't stand lite beer<G>......I simply looked up a few recipes....nonetheless I'm a near expert since my Dad in the depression picked hops in Eastern Or, in highschool I shoveled spent hops by the ton(mulch for a nursery) and I worked 3 years at a malt plant (back then we had free beer in the tap room)...beer still takes more malt by far than hops and malt is considerably more significant to the brew. And do you really think a guy brewing 5 gals a pop both uses the same amount per gal and pays the same price for hops as a brewer whom buys by the ton.... Rod

Barley and wheat are suffering a similar fate:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-07-02-beer-prices_N.htm
mmmm weissbier
Jeff wrote: ...

Actually, wheat is at a premium at the moment owing to poor crops in most of the major wheat producing areas last year (Russia, Australia, mixed in US)...

Back in November, wheat for December delivery was $9.42 +/- , approximately double from the previous year. Last I talked with our ranchers/farmers/lessees a few weeks back it was still holding in the mid-eight dollar range.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Dave in Houston wrote:

Actually broke $10 at terminal for cash delivery for a while...never made it here as the price drops (precipitously) as get away from the terminals owing to transportation cost (and, imo, the dockage is _far_ greater than the incremental cost :( ). We're typical almost 50-cents lower than Hutch which is less than 200 miles away and both on mainline rail service--they're Santa Fe, we're SP. _Can't_ cost $0.50(/bu!) for rolling a boxcar load 200 miles further.
Of course, where they had such bad winter weather and previous fall drought plus those same areas had the late spring freeze followed by widespread hail and then too much rain at harvest time so much of central KS/OK had nothing to cut. Doesn't matter what the price is if you don't have it to sell. OTOH, some of the NW and far SW corner KS and OK panhandle had first good crop in 5 to 7 years owing to the longterm drought we've been suffering under. Right here, there's very little dryland wheat again this year because we had no rain from July 4 until about a month ago so it was too dry to get it planted and up last fall over large area. We've had some decent rain/snow recently so we'll see if any that was "dusted in" will manage to now come up and make anything--it'll be thin at best...