OT The Storm

Page 3 of 3

I've wondered for years about these news types who chopper into distressed areas to report on food, power and water shortages, whilst contributing to same. The mix also includes the idiots who get into genuinely dangerous storm areas and then require official help to get out, help that might better be extended to "less important" people like Joe and Jane Average who couldn't make it out on their own in time for a lack of money, power, food, water.
We might be one devil of a lot better off if reporters of any stripe went back to reporting the news, rather than trying to be part of it. We'd certainly learn more of substance.
"Leon" wrote in message

Leon ... hit the power button, put the remote down, and back away from that TV!! <g, d &r>
My next door neighbor (from CA, and obviously sorry she had elected to stay) asked me this morning what to do ... told her the first thing was to turn off the damn TV!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

I literally sent this comical bit to channel 2, 11, 13, and The Weather Channel. Channel 11 IIRC responded that they were sorry that I was so jaded. They apparently missed the point.
"Leon" wrote \

No damn wonder ... they share a large bit of the responsibility for the "crying wolf" that resulted in 10 times more deaths from the last "evacuation", than from the storm itself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

its all about creating the NEXT headline! after the storm they get a few more days to shock us with the death toll and damage estimates! Then we git ta hear about how the bubmint didnt do enough! When they run out of real news they just repeat it add nausium or simply make sumpin up! hm.. think I'll go get that drink now.
skeez
LOL.
I'm in NorCal, but spent some time in Houston. We went through Alicia as well.
I like the reporters who stand on the Galveston sea wall (which is designed to absorb the wave energy by directing it upwards), and marvel at the "height of the waves blasting the sea wall".
Sheesh
-Zz
Leon wrote:

Yep, nothing more silly than seeing a bunch of reporters standing in the path of a storm proving that rain is wet.
Leon, Swingman, and the rest of ya'll in the Houston and Galveston areas, take care and stay safe.

Leon wrote:
Leon, that was the best coverage of coverage I've read. Thanks for putting into enjoyable words what "jades" many of us.

Understatement.
You give them too much credit. I think they simply lie and make stuff up to sell the news, or their personal agenda's.

It is rather funny that these folks have no problem describing how the winds are building to dangerous levels while you can actually see palm branches gently moving around in the background. We had a snow storm here about 12 years ago that dropped 36" of snow. I could find no more than 18" on the ground and noted that along the road where the snow plows deposit the snow, it was not even close to what 3' of snow would leave behind. The amazing thing is how many people actually believe what they say even if what they actually can see is far different.
The really nasty thing is the news does this same crap with everything, just that with the weather, you can actually see the when they are lying or telling/showing half truths. Most of the time you have no idea what the real truth is, only what they are telling you.
When you see some reporter floating around in a canoe pretending the water is deep, only to learn it was 3" of water, you tend to get jaded.
The real problem of course is that no one has a clue when they happen to be telling the truth. Crying wolf falsely over and over again will always lead to trouble.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Jack Stein wrote:

I once had a weather man tell me how to tell if he was lying or not. He said to watch his lips. If they were moving he was .....

The same rule of thumb applies to politicians.
--
FF

In article <5cd8d9cc-effd-455a-8e07-

Particularly politicians who's best friend is a Weatherman.
-- Keith