OT The Storm

"Swingman" wrote

I just have to say this Swingman. You know how to handle these civil/weather emergencies with style!

But I would also comment that you are doing a number of things that your neighbors are not. Good things, sensible things, Things that will feed you, etc. You have even planned for some medicinal drinks!

And most importantly, you are doing so with a sense of humor. Good on ya' son.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Leon wrote: ...

Don't see how you can possibly expect to not get the rain bands when it gets there--it's still 100 miles away or so at the moment w/ the rain just now (6PM CDT) approaching Galveston at least according to Houston local radar.

Come midnight to 2AM time frame it'll probably be a pretty good blow but sustained would be pretty likely to not make 100mph it would appear--a good KS t-storm except it'll take longer to get by.

Keep your head down... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Same for CT!

Since weather emergencies usually involve snow, well... a little snow, compared to Buffalo, it all works well together.

Reply to
B A R R Y

The remnants of Gustav blew through here, got a bit breezy and a few showers, they are predicting Ike will come here by the end of the weekend, guess it is going to speed up, but it will just be a late summer storm, who cares.

Still pondering....

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Congratulations. That pretty much trumps everything else.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Thanks, Frank! He's the spitting image of his three year old brother. I'm blessed ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, nothing more silly than seeing a bunch of reporters standing in the path of a storm proving that rain is wet.

Leon, Swingman, and the rest of ya'll in the Houston and Galveston areas, take care and stay safe.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Leon, that was the best coverage of coverage I've read. Thanks for putting into enjoyable words what "jades" many of us.

Understatement.

You give them too much credit. I think they simply lie and make stuff up to sell the news, or their personal agenda's.

It is rather funny that these folks have no problem describing how the winds are building to dangerous levels while you can actually see palm branches gently moving around in the background. We had a snow storm here about 12 years ago that dropped 36" of snow. I could find no more than 18" on the ground and noted that along the road where the snow plows deposit the snow, it was not even close to what 3' of snow would leave behind. The amazing thing is how many people actually believe what they say even if what they actually can see is far different.

The really nasty thing is the news does this same crap with everything, just that with the weather, you can actually see the when they are lying or telling/showing half truths. Most of the time you have no idea what the real truth is, only what they are telling you.

When you see some reporter floating around in a canoe pretending the water is deep, only to learn it was 3" of water, you tend to get jaded.

The real problem of course is that no one has a clue when they happen to be telling the truth. Crying wolf falsely over and over again will always lead to trouble.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I once had a weather man tell me how to tell if he was lying or not. He said to watch his lips. If they were moving he was .....

Reply to
David G. Nagel

The same rule of thumb applies to politicians.

Reply to
fredfighter

Particularly politicians who's best friend is a Weatherman.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw