OT The Storm

DAMN!!! that sounds like a winner! too bad all flights have been canceled! I havent been to a hurricane party in quite a while! as soon as the power comes back y'all let us know your ok. oh and um.... stock up on ice. them margaritas aint worth a damn HOT.............

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I've wondered for years about these news types who chopper into distressed areas to report on food, power and water shortages, whilst contributing to same. The mix also includes the idiots who get into genuinely dangerous storm areas and then require official help to get out, help that might better be extended to "less important" people like Joe and Jane Average who couldn't make it out on their own in time for a lack of money, power, food, water.

We might be one devil of a lot better off if reporters of any stripe went back to reporting the news, rather than trying to be part of it. We'd certainly learn more of substance.

Reply to
Charlie Self

yeh go figgure! In a word..... GREED !!!!!!!!!!!!! grab ur ankles! I would laugh but it aint funny!

skeez

Reply to
skeez

its all about creating the NEXT headline! after the storm they get a few more days to shock us with the death toll and damage estimates! Then we git ta hear about how the bubmint didnt do enough! When they run out of real news they just repeat it add nausium or simply make sumpin up! hm.. think I'll go get that drink now.

skeez

Reply to
skeez

FrozenNorth wrote: ...

Exporter of oil, yes, but are all your refined products domestic?

(I didn't think so, but not sure...)

But even if so, a reduction in US supply of even relatively short duration will increase demand on Canadian supplies as well as the rest of the refined markets.

--

Reply to
dpb

As I read it, the statement was offered to shoreline residents.

Maybe after Katrina they decided to clarify the words?

Reply to
B A R R Y

That raises the price to $CAN 1.366/litre you do the math, and check my numbers but I calculate that translates to about $5.50 /gallon in US$ for regular. Forget bending over, I am getting used to a butt plug.

We have several levels of governament applying sales taxes, and excise taxes on the price of gas, of course they are percentage based, more money into the government coffers.....yippeee.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I saw the same thing Leon saw this morning ... it was a headline blurb/link on a website, it was most definitely presented "out of context" (but, you would have only known that if you heard the local evacuation orders, either locally or on national TV, as you apparently did), ... at the time I thought it was totally irresponsible. Still do.

AAMOF, the very same is apparently making its way around the world:

in a panic call from my oldest daughter in Sheffield, UK ... so much for "context"!

(Good thing was that I got to see my new grandson, born Tuesday AM, for the first time ... thank you, Skype!)

Reply to
Swingman

I am not sure about all of them, but gas is definitely refined here.

I realize that, but why didn't the price increase wait till there is some damage, a 3 or 4 day shutdown, shouldn't cause this, especially when the market price of oil actually dropped yesterday.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Margaritas? You must be in a high class area. Around Buffalo, for our weather emergencies, it's a "six pack".

"As Mayor, Griffin was known for his outspoken personality and sometimes blunt comments. In one of his first statements as mayor, he recommended Buffalo residents respond to the Blizzard of 1977 and "go home, watch channel 7 and buy a six pack of "Genny" (A beer brand from High Falls Brewing Company in Rochester, NY) and stay home."

Nova

1976-77 & 1977-78 were both "Go home and stay there" winters in Cleveland.

Tough to get out and get the Genny Cream Ale AKA: "Genny Screams", and for good reason.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

... In that case that only would confirm my opinion of MSNBC (assuming it was, indeed them, your description makes me wonder) as I just went and looked at their website and if it was there, it isn't now.

The words of the warning were indeed those quoted but the context was clear if reported. I've not heard anything local, this was just a news story at 10 last night on the magnitude of the expected surge owing to the size of the cyclone associated w/ this particular storm (which is pretty impressive, ya' gotta' admit). We're 6-700+ miles away altho have family scattered from Port Arthur, Lake Jackson, Bay City to Brownsville who'll get various amounts of effects.

--

Reply to
dpb

I didn't word the question quite right, sorry. :)

What percentage of gasoline is refined domestically?

Because demand has already gone up (all those refugees and hunkerers-down all filled up and are stocking up for the duration) and the refineries in the US in the path have already been shut down for several days. Also don't forget all the millions like me who farms and others w/ businesses large and small and simply the commuters who also filled up/stocked up in anticipation in order to beat the inevitable spike and, in my case, to ensure not running short during a critical field work season. I contributed to that as I bought an additional 1000 gal of diesel a month earlier than otherwise would have myself as well as filling all the trucks and the 40 gal transport gasoline tank--that was about 200 gal of gasoline there. I'm just one guy 800 miles away; how many millions are in the direct line doing similar?

There's essentially no barrel/tank in the supply line; it's a pipe so when the feed tap is squeezed, the outflow goes down almost instantaneously.

--

Reply to
dpb

No ... just no such thing as a low class coon ass, cher! :)

And with that in mind, I cooked up a big pot of rice this morning. Because it'll keep without refrigeration for a few days and it goes good, in a pinch, with canned things heated on a gas burner, like chile, or beans, or both, especially if you season it right.

My big 2 quart thermos is already nestled in the freezer ... full of a 1/2 gallon of frozen margarita's, the first batch for emergency only ... and I've got the blender full with another batch in there also, for tonight, for the pre-emergency.

After all, first things first ... no good coonass will face danger without cooking something up, and, of course, having necessary libations prepared in advance alleviates any tedious, unnecessary suffering.

That'll hold me 'til the eye passes over ... then the generator thing can kick in.

;)

Reply to
Swingman

LOL.

I'm in NorCal, but spent some time in Houston. We went through Alicia as well.

I like the reporters who stand on the Galveston sea wall (which is designed to absorb the wave energy by directing it upwards), and marvel at the "height of the waves blasting the sea wall".

Sheesh

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

LRod wrote: . We still spent two days without power. No big deal, you say?

Next time a electrical outage is coming your way, try a voltage converter and a 12 volt battery for your C-Pap.....I've gone several days and probably could have gone days longer from a single charge on a simple deep cycle battery. The Mrs. refused to go camping with me if I didn't bring my C-pap...it was either the snoring or the not breathing part that inspired her. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

My son saw the same head line on sbc.yahoo.com.

Reply to
Leon

I think a majority of Houston is probably as high up as my home or in the vicinity. My home is 81' above sea level. Rising gas prices with no immediate reason is price gouging. Prices went up a couple of cents with Gustov and so far this storm is looking like a non event wind wise. It is now 5:30 and so far no rain or any wind to speak of in SW Houston. The eye is acutely 90 miles across and the center is about

120 miles from Galveston. So far they are not getting any winds that are much more than normal coastal winds although the surf is certainly up. 20 -40 mph. Buoy markers near the eye have indicated winds of less than 60 mph. I am seriously wondering if we will get any rain at all at this point.

Except for the areas that were expected to flood and the areas that flood during a heavy rain I think we are going to end up dodging the a minor bullet.

Thank you for the thoughts.

Reply to
Leon

M a y b e Ontario expects the winds from Ike to reach you. My son was watching the news in Chicago and they said thay would be feeling the effects of the storm. Yes I cannot understand it either.

Reply to
Leon

The Tough Smart Lawyure! :!)

Now I can relax. Actually I was thinking about coming over tonight. :~) I think this is going to be a non event. We'll hollar at you tomorrow.

Reply to
Leon