OT The Storm

The point I am trying to make is that 98% of the news coverage is more of a holiday for the reporters to play at the beach. They really are not being of any help at all. Only the announcement by city officials are of any value. And as I stated in another response, the local government only wants those in certain zip codes to evacuate and for every one else to stay in place to make room on the roads for the those that need to evacuate. It would be impossible for every one in the Houston Metro area to flee Ike, that was proven with disastrous results 3 years ago with Rita.
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:53:49 -0500, "Leon"

lmao. I know what you are saying. they make it realy hard to believe them! If you are at least 30 feet above sea level there probly isnt much to worry about exept wind and rain. I just hope the oil rigs and refineries come through all this in good shape. our gas here in N.C. has gone up over 50 cents a gallon in the lest 3 days! We are over 4 bucks a gallon in some places again! It's all bullshit! IF stuff gets destroyed THEN we should see the rising prices. NOT NOW!!! anyway our thoughts are with you folks down there and hope all goes well. KEEP UR HEAD DOWN!!! :- ]
skeez
skeez wrote:

Gas went up 13 cents a litre here in Toronto, Ontario Canada last night, which is just shy of 50 cents a US gallon. We have our own gas and oil, and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.
I just can't understand it.
--
Froz...

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:17:15 GMT, FrozenNorth

yeh go figgure! In a word..... GREED !!!!!!!!!!!!! grab ur ankles! I would laugh but it aint funny!
skeez
skeez wrote:

That raises the price to $CAN 1.366/litre you do the math, and check my numbers but I calculate that translates to about $5.50 /gallon in US$ for regular. Forget bending over, I am getting used to a butt plug.
We have several levels of governament applying sales taxes, and excise taxes on the price of gas, of course they are percentage based, more money into the government coffers.....yippeee.
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote: ...

Exporter of oil, yes, but are all your refined products domestic?
(I didn't think so, but not sure...)
But even if so, a reduction in US supply of even relatively short duration will increase demand on Canadian supplies as well as the rest of the refined markets.
dpb wrote:

I am not sure about all of them, but gas is definitely refined here.

I realize that, but why didn't the price increase wait till there is some damage, a 3 or 4 day shutdown, shouldn't cause this, especially when the market price of oil actually dropped yesterday.
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote:

I didn't word the question quite right, sorry. :)
What percentage of gasoline is refined domestically?

Because demand has already gone up (all those refugees and hunkerers-down all filled up and are stocking up for the duration) and the refineries in the US in the path have already been shut down for several days. Also don't forget all the millions like me who farms and others w/ businesses large and small and simply the commuters who also filled up/stocked up in anticipation in order to beat the inevitable spike and, in my case, to ensure not running short during a critical field work season. I contributed to that as I bought an additional 1000 gal of diesel a month earlier than otherwise would have myself as well as filling all the trucks and the 40 gal transport gasoline tank--that was about 200 gal of gasoline there. I'm just one guy 800 miles away; how many millions are in the direct line doing similar?
There's essentially no barrel/tank in the supply line; it's a pipe so when the feed tap is squeezed, the outflow goes down almost instantaneously.

M a y b e Ontario expects the winds from Ike to reach you. My son was watching the news in Chicago and they said thay would be feeling the effects of the storm. Yes I cannot understand it either.
Leon wrote:

The remnants of Gustav blew through here, got a bit breezy and a few showers, they are predicting Ike will come here by the end of the weekend, guess it is going to speed up, but it will just be a late summer storm, who cares.
Still pondering....
--
Froz...

I think a majority of Houston is probably as high up as my home or in the vicinity. My home is 81' above sea level. Rising gas prices with no immediate reason is price gouging. Prices went up a couple of cents with Gustov and so far this storm is looking like a non event wind wise. It is now 5:30 and so far no rain or any wind to speak of in SW Houston. The eye is acutely 90 miles across and the center is about 120 miles from Galveston. So far they are not getting any winds that are much more than normal coastal winds although the surf is certainly up. 20 -40 mph. Buoy markers near the eye have indicated winds of less than 60 mph. I am seriously wondering if we will get any rain at all at this point.
Except for the areas that were expected to flood and the areas that flood during a heavy rain I think we are going to end up dodging the a minor bullet.
Thank you for the thoughts.
Leon wrote: ...

Don't see how you can possibly expect to not get the rain bands when it gets there--it's still 100 miles away or so at the moment w/ the rain just now (6PM CDT) approaching Galveston at least according to Houston local radar.

Come midnight to 2AM time frame it'll probably be a pretty good blow but sustained would be pretty likely to not make 100mph it would appear--a good KS t-storm except it'll take longer to get by.
Keep your head down... :)
"Leon" wrote

I can already see the commercials from "The Texas Hammer" next week: "If you listened to their advice and stayed put and got hurt, call 1 800- ..."
FYI: Finally got my generator started this morning ... and it runs the margarita machine just fine!
Nuff said! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

DAMN!!! that sounds like a winner! too bad all flights have been canceled! I havent been to a hurricane party in quite a while! as soon as the power comes back y'all let us know your ok. oh and um.... stock up on ice. them margaritas aint worth a damn HOT.............
skeez
Swingman wrote:

Margaritas? You must be in a high class area. Around Buffalo, for our weather emergencies, it's a "six pack".
"As Mayor, Griffin was known for his outspoken personality and sometimes blunt comments. In one of his first statements as mayor, he recommended Buffalo residents respond to the Blizzard of 1977 and "go home, watch channel 7 and buy a six pack of "Genny" (A beer brand from High Falls Brewing Company in Rochester, NY) and stay home."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Griffin
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
"Nova" wrote:

1976-77 & 1977-78 were both "Go home and stay there" winters in Cleveland.
Tough to get out and get the Genny Cream Ale AKA: "Genny Screams", and for good reason.
Lew
"Nova" wrote

\
No ... just no such thing as a low class coon ass, cher! :)
And with that in mind, I cooked up a big pot of rice this morning. Because it'll keep without refrigeration for a few days and it goes good, in a pinch, with canned things heated on a gas burner, like chile, or beans, or both, especially if you season it right.
My big 2 quart thermos is already nestled in the freezer ... full of a 1/2 gallon of frozen margarita's, the first batch for emergency only ... and I've got the blender full with another batch in there also, for tonight, for the pre-emergency.
After all, first things first ... no good coonass will face danger without cooking something up, and, of course, having necessary libations prepared in advance alleviates any tedious, unnecessary suffering.
That'll hold me 'til the eye passes over ... then the generator thing can kick in.
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

I just have to say this Swingman. You know how to handle these civil/weather emergencies with style!
But I would also comment that you are doing a number of things that your neighbors are not. Good things, sensible things, Things that will feed you, etc. You have even planned for some medicinal drinks!
And most importantly, you are doing so with a sense of humor. Good on ya' son.
Nova wrote:

Same for CT! <G>
Since weather emergencies usually involve snow, well... a little snow, compared to Buffalo, it all works well together.

The Tough Smart Lawyure! :!)

Now I can relax. Actually I was thinking about coming over tonight. :~) I think this is going to be a non event. We'll hollar at you tomorrow.