OT The OT political diatribes

Page 1 of 2

This is a woodworking forum. Is it really necessary for all the off topic political postings? Particularly the ones of late.
Postings exhorting one position or another aren't going to change anyones mind. The only thing it's sure to do is irritate and anger people. If you feel you really must get it off your chest, I'm sure you could find a more appropriate venue in which to spill your bile.
So why not stop with that sort of off topic posting and stick to the matter at hand - trees, the lumber that comes from them and the excellent objects I know the posters to this forum are capable of making.
"George Max" wrote in message

And if the moderator wannabe's (two this morning already) would also quit adding to the noise and just accept Usenet for what it's always been ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05
"Leon" wrote in message

Yeah ... all the way back to Scottsdale. Lots of slithery things in that vicinity.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05
Swingman said:

Same location I got... He..He... gotta love that route trace.
Greg G.
Trace route this kiddo............ you think you know something? Need Help?
You think maybe you wanna stop and visit?.......then we can really dance Huh????

Well George, ;~) there are several of us that have been participating in this group since the last millennium. There is a wealth of information to be had with a Google search through the archives if you want to look for something in particular. Having been here myself for 6 + years I would find it kinda boring if there were no threads that went off track on occasion. Additionally I would much rather see OT postings here than NO postings at all. Since the topic of which TS should I buy, should I get right or left tilt, what is the best router bit, who makes the best dado set, my jig saw just broke what brand should I get, where can I get free plans, where is the cheapest place to buy Bessie's, I ordered from Amazon and my arrival date has just been pushed back or canceled, how do I cut a larger hole in my door so that my new lock will fit, Norm sucks, Norm is the greatest, what finish should I use on MDF, can I finish MDF, the Unisaw is the best because it is made in America, my Grizzly TS arrived upside down and the box had several holes in it, the trunion on my Unisaw is broken and I have not turned it on yet, what is the best way to remove rust, what is the best way to prevent rust, can I eat PT lumber, how much should I pay for Oak, HD plywood smells like fish when you cut it, idiots work at HD, I bought such and such tool at HD and took it back after using it, a tree fell in my yard, how much lumber can I get out of it, is anything from Harbor Freight any good, Craftsman builds great tools as long as you do not have to turn them on, the PC detail sander sucks, PSA sand paper sucks, H&L sand paper is too expensive, I will never go back to _____, I have a 3000 ton tool being delivered today, will it fit inside my shop, can I carry it on my back from the driveway, the Saw Stop TS will make people careless and will never fly, I only buy American because, A new American built TS has been brought to market, lets not buy it because it is unlike my cookie cutter TS and its safety features are far superior to those that come stock on any other saw, I was lucky today, I did not cut my hand off all they way, Wish I had a SawStop TS, here is a poem about some one I know, how do you clean your blades and router bits, LeeValley comes through again, why do my HD screws keep breaking, how do I turn my dead cat into a push stick, why do I get tear out, the oil I put on my project is still wet, the Miniwax finish looks blotchy, how would you equip your shop if you had it to do all over again, I will not buy anything new and improved until it has proven itself after 40 years, Titebond III is NOT water proof according to testing standards, how should I remove excess glue squeeze out, can I put a riser kit on my BS, should I buy a large set of router bits, how do I heat my shop, how do I cool my shop, how do I get rid of spiders, how long should I dry my wood, should I get a router and router table and router lift or a shaper, has been asked almost daily, the occasional OT marked thread is a sometimes like a breath of fresh air.
Thank you for marking you OT thread OT, and welcome to the group.
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:04:05 GMT, "Leon"

I too have been reading this group since about the time my bbs began offering internet access maybe 15 years or so ago. I don't post too often, here or anywhere else for that matter. Much can be learned by simply reading.
Yes, I know many questions are repeated quite often. That's life.
What's unfortunate is the spate of postings on politics that always devolve into vile deeply personal attacks. Why would anyone think they were going to persuade anyone else to their position? That won't be happening. Is any of that really necessary? Should this keep up, this group will become more like rec.travel.air in which the subject most often posted about is politics, not air travel.
Must every newsgroup become a political forum?
And why does my desire for postings to stay on topic make me an attempted moderator? Doesn't anyone have any decency any longer? Look at the name of the group and post accordingly.
Leon said:

...<snip of all encompassing synopsis of the wREC>

LMAO - if that doesn't sum it up - I don't what would!
Except for maybe the dead cat push stick...
Greg G.
Ya shoulda been around when the Bennent's would go at.....makes this stuff look like childs play....;-)
Bob S.

If you want your BS to rise to a new level, sure.
Couldn'a hep muhself..
:-+

LOL. I was wondering if that would go over. ;~)
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

<snip>
By the time I laughed all the way through that list, my gut hurt :-).
I'd forgotten the "HD plywood smells" thread :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down.

Umm Sorry.. LOL
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:04:05 GMT, "Leon"

This post has to be grabbed by Luigi for the humor (humour) file.
I damned near pissed myself before I was half way through.

This is actually a pretty good FAQ. Now where are the answers?
- Owen -
scribbled:

So did I and until I realised: "Oh f...! Did I ever miss a lot of stuff in the anti-FAQ. Now I'm going to have add a bunch of answers."
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
You forgot: . Will my new Rikon band saw come with a blade? :-)
Bryan
Leon wrote:

Shit, if off topic really tickles you:
Butterfly'd Leg of lamb.
Bone and butterfly a 7-8 lb. leg of lamb. Make slashes across the leg until it will lie flat at a uniform thickness. If you have a food processor, add a large onion, half cup or so each of: soy sauce, olive oil and red wine; drink a little wine because bottles come larger than half cup (unless you're flying (planes I mean)). Then add some (half to a full tsp. each) thyme, sage, marjoram, dried mustard, dried ginger and drink a bit more wine. Process the shit out of it. If you don't have a food processor, put all the above in a shallow pan; insert a bit of your choice in your router and go to town (If your router is not double insulated, make certain that the circiut the router is plugged into is GFI protected and make certain you are wearing a belt in case your suspenders break). Another bit of wine is in order. Put the lamb (notice I didn't say "lay the lamb") in a shallow baking dish or pan (big plastic bag or anything else you want to use) and pour the stuff you processed or routed over it; leave it alone for the better part of a day or longer. While you are having a little more wine; grill the lamb on both sides over high heat until it is well seared (bits of black stuff on it) and then lower the heat and the grill cover as well (put it in the oven if you wish). Cook it this way until it is how I like it. Medium rare. A bit more wine goes well with this dish.
Did I ever tell you how to make beeswax candles? I didn't think so. Another "Off Topic" for another time.
The only useful function of posts such as these is to put together a plonk-list. Otherwise they play right into the hands of the kaners trolls and egomaniacs who thrive on hate, discontent and bigotry. Never food those types. Yeah, I know, I just did; but too many people don't realize what they're doing
: This is a woodworking forum. Is it really necessary for all the off : topic political postings? Particularly the ones of late. : : Postings exhorting one position or another aren't going to change : anyones mind. The only thing it's sure to do is irritate and anger : people. If you feel you really must get it off your chest, I'm sure : you could find a more appropriate venue in which to spill your bile. : : So why not stop with that sort of off topic posting and stick to the : matter at hand - trees, the lumber that comes from them and the : excellent objects I know the posters to this forum are capable of : making.
George Max wrote:

How true. I'm always reminded of this:
http://images.google.com/images?q=arguing+on+the+internet&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
-John in NH