OT---The media

Huh? "Come about!" is a sentence.

Do you mean "overcome"? Complexly different meaning.

It is what you hear on TV vs the way it is spelled.

That's fine also. In English there is usually more than one way you can state something.

No, it is not.

No, down is not a preposition. Down is an adverb.

That's a myth. It is often perfectly fine to end a sentence with a preposition.
http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/grammar-myths-prepositions/ http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/prepositions_ending_a_sentence.htm

The newscaster was using the single word "overturn", and that word is a verb.

No. They were using the word "overturned". And they were using it correctly. You misinterpreted it as the two word phrase over turned.

Because that's not what the word "overrun" means.
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! MMM-MM!! So THIS is
at BIO-NEBULATION!
On 9/5/2014 8:56 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

Down is also a preposition.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz 1CHUE_enUS575US575&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#qfine+down
And "over" is also.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz 1CHUE_enUS575US575&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#qfine+over

A myth that my English teachers taught?

Doesn't it?

Perhaps you've led a sheltered life? I've heard, and used, the word "overturned" since I was a kid. "Turned over" is an active voice, as in "I turned over the car" (which could mean that I started it, too ;-). The passive voice "the car overturned" doesn't imply who did it. It's the state of the vehicle; shiny side down.

Perhaps it's you? If they teleprompter reader doesn't have a mouthful of marbles, the two should be easily discriminated, not to mention the context or grammar should be clear.

When was the last time you heard "over <break> come" on the TeeVee? Do all of your news readers down there talk with marbles in their mouth?

The rhetoric? What about the legislation?
If you want rhetoric, what about the Prez *intentionally* pitting one citizen against another. ...and you don't expect a reaction?

LOL! PBS? The mouthpiece of the left side of the US government? BBC? The mouthpiece of the left side of the UK government? Look in the mirror.

Nah, don't take bankruptcy too seriously. It's only money (and life).

Not in this usage. It modifies the verb "turned" in "turned over" and as such it is an adverb. In the word "overturned" is isn't either. It's just two syllables of the word. ;-)

Yes. A common one.

No. Different words.

How should I know what your English teachers taught? There are high school teachers teaching alls sorts of incorrect things. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your English teacher told you never to end a sentence with a preposition. Despite what he/she may have told you, your English teacher only made up the rules for your work in his/her class -- not for the entire English speaking world.

No, it "doesn't". Look it up.
--
Grant

On 9/7/2014 11:06 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

You have absolutely totally missed the point.