OT---The media

Larry's point is well taken. However, the major problem is that what passes for news these days is slanted, if not a subject of prevarication and omission. Cable news outlets do this purposefully in order to keep their listeners in line and the money flowing. For example, consider the Affordable Care Act. Obamacare? Fair enough. Is it a godsend? Is it expensive? Is it horribly expensive? Will it bring the nation to its knees? This kind of rhetoric is not good for our country.

If you want to know the state of your various worlds, stick with the BBC (World and American Service), the PBS Newshour, and Al Jazeera (American service). PBS is carried on your local PBS station. The BBC can be found again on PBS or on the web. Al Jazeera has its own cable channel (used to be the Current news channel). They all have web sites for print and broadcast media.

Good stuff is out there for you. Here's a test of your political leanings: If you think that FOX or MSNBC is spot on, just go away and don't bother anyone. If you think that they are excessive, continue to CNN. If you find them to be a bit to the right of center or at least comfortable, you can easily switch to any of the above outlets. Otherwise, sit down and start recording/watching Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert until you feel you are ready to reenter polite society.

Don't take any of this too seriously. I already get the occasional nasty-gram for voicing my views. Good night and good luck. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I can't not mention the local Channel 2 anchor. She is there because she is pretty. Fresh out of college 20+ years ago as their traffic girl and straight to the anchor desk.

HEY! WATCH YOUR MOUTH! You leave Dominique alone!

News, huh. that's what she does?

"I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear Let me whisper in your ear, give us dirty laundry."

[With apologies to Don Henley]

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Texas

Down is also a preposition.

And "over" is also.

A myth that my English teachers taught?

Doesn't it?

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps you've led a sheltered life? I've heard, and used, the word "overturned" since I was a kid. "Turned over" is an active voice, as in "I turned over the car" (which could mean that I started it, too ;-). The passive voice "the car overturned" doesn't imply who did it. It's the state of the vehicle; shiny side down.

Perhaps it's you? If they teleprompter reader doesn't have a mouthful of marbles, the two should be easily discriminated, not to mention the context or grammar should be clear.

Reply to
krw

When was the last time you heard "over come" on the TeeVee? Do all of your news readers down there talk with marbles in their mouth?

Reply to
krw

The rhetoric? What about the legislation?

If you want rhetoric, what about the Prez *intentionally* pitting one citizen against another. ...and you don't expect a reaction?

LOL! PBS? The mouthpiece of the left side of the US government? BBC? The mouthpiece of the left side of the UK government? Look in the mirror.

Nah, don't take bankruptcy too seriously. It's only money (and life).

Reply to
krw

Not in this usage. It modifies the verb "turned" in "turned over" and as such it is an adverb. In the word "overturned" is isn't either. It's just two syllables of the word. ;-)

Yes. A common one.

No. Different words.

Reply to
krw

How should I know what your English teachers taught? There are high school teachers teaching alls sorts of incorrect things. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your English teacher told you never to end a sentence with a preposition. Despite what he/she may have told you, your English teacher only made up the rules for your work in his/her class -- not for the entire English speaking world.

No, it "doesn't". Look it up.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

You have absolutely totally missed the point.

Reply to
Leon

The political talk shows, yes.

The NEWS segments, not at all ... and much more balanced than CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etal.

You'd have to actually watch it to realize that.

Reply to
Swingman