OT - the fun and games of "upgrading" (computerwise)

Page 2 of 4
SWomebody wrote:

Acrobat (not just reader), the Office suite,
All Mac
Quicken sucks.
I run a program that started life in C/PM then DOS 2.0.
Hasn't been updated since 1990.
Have a customer data base file with almost 900 records and 50 custom fields.
Uses less than 250K.
The guy who wrote it knew how to write tight code.
64K of space will do that.
Check books are simply a modified database file.
Since my task hasn't changed, no need to update the software.
Lew
[snip]

Acrobat (reader only) Mozilla Word Solitaire
:-)
Man did this thread head off into Linux fast.
Skipped right over Mac vs WinDoze almost at the offset.
Amazing.

Not that surprising. The Mac people are the elitists and the Linux people would like to be so they tend to speak up as more time goes on. :)
Upscale wrote:

I don't here this kind of enthusiasm when it comes to WindBlows. I hear the opposite, Vista Sucks! It's even the brunt of jokes on TV.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Kind of dabbling in both these worlds right now. We got SWMBO an iMac about a month ago. I'm trying to be open-minded -- I really like the Mac, and she loves the things it just does right out of the box like organize pictures, add sound to slide shows, and put together movies. But, some of the non-standard, or things that one would think would be standard, are causing some frustration. For example, the ability to copy a DVD is either hidden somewhere that is obvious to a Mac expert and totally non-obvious to a new user, or it just plain doesn't exist as a standard package. In other cases, finding ways to do other things that are pretty obvious in windows or linux are an exercise in frustration on the Mac. Once you figure out the right path, you can get the job done, but it's not obvious. But, like I said, the things the Mac does as native tasks is just eye-watering.
I am witholding judgment at this time; after all, when the major OS vendor forced people to shut down their computers by pushing a button marked "start", or to log on to the Windows OS by pushing a key combination that used to be the last resort to reboot the machine -- a few quirks in finding command paths isn't going to make me reject a different system.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I like Mac's we have 2 in the house. I prefer linux though. Mac's are damn expensive and if something goes wrong with one and your warranty is over hold on to your wallet. My wife's Ibook DC plug stop working and would not charge or work on regular house hold current, took it to a Mac store and they wanted $600.00 to fix. I went on the net found a parts place and bought it for $29.00, torx driver and a special tool to split the case. 40 bucks total. On the same site they had detailed instructions on the fix. Followed the instructions to the T and had it back up and running in 1 hour.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:
... snip

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future should the need arise.

You put in a DVD, drag the icon of it it to a new folder. After that, single click the folder to highlight it and select 'burn' from the file menu. Wipe hands on pants.
Robatoy wrote:

Thanks. I'll try that when, if, the Mac comes up again. SWMBO was trying to build an imovie this morning, the screen went dark, the computer went click, and it has been inert ever since.
This is not a happy experience.

If you base your decisions on TV ads, then Windows is certainly not the joke here.

Now _THAT'S_ funny!

Meh, what mac people are in this group have probably participated more than enough times in a Windows/DOS/Scelbi/ Warp/Linux-flavor/Amiga/Ti/Timex/Atari/Amstrad/Tandy/BBC-Micro/Dragon/Co leco/Acorn/IBM-51**-Datamaster-IBMPC/MITS-Altair and Zilog/PPC/Intel/AMD/ARM/Moto/DEC/MOS/AVR/SPARC/MILSTD1750A radda, radda, radda war and have concluded it's a waste of time participating :)
*I 'prolly missed a few, I have only 640K of memory.
--
MT - Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

101010

Sigh... No one remembers the #2 minicomputer manufacturer....Data General. Nova 840, Nova 2, Eclipse with RTOS,RDOSAOS, AOS/VS, and the DG/L language.
Maxwell Lol wrote:

Nor the Four-Phase Systems IV/70, IV/90 and System-5000 all with window into memory for their displays.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

...and contrary to claims by others, Four-Phase Systems and founder Lee Boysell produced the first computer on a chip.
writes:

Hell - I remember it very well. DG is where I met my wife.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Maxwell Lol wrote:

"The Soul of a New Machine"...
Wasn't the DG Mini called a "Nova"?

Well, I think my brain was trying to keep to a smaller size, or at least the last time I saw a Nova 840 it was quite large. Though admittedly it was in a rack so it may have been smaller than it looked.