OT - the fun and games of "upgrading" (computerwise)

And carry a Moleskine notebook just like Ernest Hemmingway.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

It's ironic that MicroSoft's first Killer App WAS NOT it's operating system - but rather Excel, running on a Mac and exploiting the Apple GUI which MS then tried to copy with WinDoze, failed, kept trying and is STILL trying to copy. At the moment they've gotten all the way up to approximate Mac's OS 7 level (Apple is currently up to Mac OS 10.5.2).

Reply to
charlieb

Truth is... I run Windows XP Pro very reliably and quickly on my Mac.... at the same time as I run OSX Leopard. All I want from a computer, is to get my work done. I don't want to know from .INI's .bat's and such. I have 3 macs at home and I spend about 1/2 hour per month doing IT.

farking PC at the shop needs a LOT more attention. I guess I'm too stupid to operate a PC? Running that thing, is like needing 26 wrenches in a specific order to change a fricking routerbit? Those PC's are horribly underdeveloped.

r (aka Zebco 6)

Reply to
Robatoy

Uhhnoooo... not another Mac snob??? LOL.

me tooooo (except the snob part...)

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm running MoneyDance instead of Quicken, it has a native Linux version. Advantages: MoneyDance doesn't sunset it's software and lobotomize newer versions. Imports Quicken files, so the conversion is somewhat painless. Cheaper than Quicken. Scrolling and date auto-fill are much more intuitive and better than Quicken. Disadvantages: Some people have had some issues with on-line banking (I don't do that so I can't say). Investing management is somewhat less intuitive. Checkout

they do have a trial version.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I wrote my first program in 1965. I worked with software and hardware off and on until 2001 - and still muck about. I Hate PCs. Anytime I've ever upgraded Anything on a PC it his taken me ALL Friggin DAY to get the job done. My son is a sysadmin for a national company. When I need something done I call him and he helps me fly it into the ground. I Hate PCs. But I've got way too much invested.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

The Apple GUI is a copy of the PARC GUI. Been there, used it.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Not a snob, but rapidly becoming a fan after getting my wife an iMac to replace her Windows laptop.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Skinning moles sounds tedious.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Compared to catching them, it's a piece of cake.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

What's ironic is that Microsoft writes their own OS, while Apple tacks a proprietary GUI on top of freeware. And probably doesn't donate a cent to FSF or BSD or any of the others who actually did most of their development for them.

As for Excel being Microsoft's first "killer app", actually that was BASIC, without which the Apple II would have flopped miserably.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:QKudncaF-KbQvLTVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Thanks for your replies, M&J, and LRod.

I did try Moneydance once, but the conversion from Quicken sucked, so I discarded it. I'm thinking about retiring, so then will be the time to switch, especially since I just acquired (late 2007) Q2008, and have to get my money's worth out of it!

Nobody using emulators yet?

Reply to
Han

Emulators work fine, however it seems silly to run Linux just so you can run Windows under an emulator. And since the video system is emulated in software you're limited in what you can run with acceptable performance.

If you mean WINE, WINE Is Not an Emulator. It is an attempt to provide the Windows API at a binary level on Unix. How well it works depends on the application--if it doesn't make any calls that aren't supported by the DLLs provided under WINE then it works fine. Personally I've found that it's more effort than it's worth. If you want to run Windows apps then run Windows--using Linux primarily to run Windows apps is like doing a tonsillectomy through the rectum.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"charlieb"wrote

Yabbut ... go back and take a look at which OS your original post starting this thread was bitching about. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Well... yes... but I think I know what got to charlieb:

"If you find a computer - and software compatible with it - that does what you want it to do, and come to know it and the software you've acquired for it like the back of your hand, there's a tendency to stick with it - while the rest of the world moves on."

The 'world', in this case, moved on by such an enormous leap (spread out over many years) that it was more a realisation of culture shock than an evaluation of the platform in question. Holy cow!! Colour????

People either love or hate Apple and there seems to be no space in between. Personally, I think backwards from the task at hand. Get the job done. My finances have been PC based up to a few year ago, when MYOB made a commitment to keep supporting OSX.

When I have to put a nail in, I really don't care if it is a Stanley or a Estwing hammer. If I were to be swinging a hammer all day, I'd probably look into which would be best for me. My Macs ARE PC's... they all boot in Windows XP pro, native, and the only thing I am happy about, is the fact that Apple's hardware seldom breaks, and I get two quality computers for the price of one... although they are a little more money than PC, comparably equipped, the difference in price isn't that great.

Like charlieb, I learned certain software like the back of my hand, including all the CAD and 3D a man could want, but my upgrade path has been consistent both from a hardware point of view as well as software.

Sometimes I boot one of my Macs from my museum. Things have changed.

=2E..and that reminded me of something that happened the other day. Back in the late 1960's, I had a girlfriend. She was the most beautiful creature on this planet. Her parents moved her out west and we lost touch. In my mind, she was still a fine female specimen... till I ran into her again. Age wasn't kind to her either. We're talking an 8" floppy here...just to mix a few metaphors...

I'm sure she felt the same.

Robatoy

You're talking about her reaction, right?

Reply to
LRod

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

I agree, but I want to keep running some of my Windows apps, and Quicken is the most important. Since I am still employed, my work necessitates things like Acrobat (not just reader), the Office suite, a database program called Reference Manager, and more. When I retire, maybe that won't be necessary any more and I can play with some form of Linux with more sincerity. May be a year more, more or less ...

Reply to
Han

Acrobat (not just reader), the Office suite,

All Mac

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:0439d22f-b861-479f-8a07- snipped-for-privacy@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I have to win the lottery to buy all new software. If I switch OS, I'll go open source and free.

My biggest mistake was buying my first PC. I did because I thought I could get help from a colleague who had a PC. Both the decision and the reason were probably wrong, but hey, so it goes!

Reply to
Han

Acrobat (not just reader), the Office suite,

All Mac

Quicken sucks.

I run a program that started life in C/PM then DOS 2.0.

Hasn't been updated since 1990.

Have a customer data base file with almost 900 records and 50 custom fields.

Uses less than 250K.

The guy who wrote it knew how to write tight code.

64K of space will do that.

Check books are simply a modified database file.

Since my task hasn't changed, no need to update the software.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett