OT: The Festool of breadmakers

Page 1 of 3
I took on this breadmaking hobby a few months ago. And, as per usual, "what else is out there" got to me. Last one was the Cuisinart Convection unit. Makes nice loafs, Great recipe book.
BUT
What a difference: http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/breadmakers/bb_cec20.html
Highly recommended.
Add pictures here
✖

Damn, I was going to ask if it makes coffee too. Then I noticed that they have coffee makers and sesame seed grinders. Have you ever needed a sesame seed grinder?
The breadmaker cooks meatloafs and makes jam. I am certain that it is versatile enough to do something illegal with it.
And the scariest thing of all?? No Price. You know it is expensive when they won't even tell you how much it costs. I guess if I don't know, I can't afford it.
Add pictures here
✖
Lee Michaels wrote:

About $250 Here's one: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q »-cec20&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGLJ_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid–34797231802933165&ei=TqIuTLCEFML6lwfMptSMCQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved BkQ8wIwAA#
Add pictures here
✖

We had a "BreadMan", or something like that and really enjoyed it, before the element started going. Coming home to goo-bread wasn't much fun. We then replaced it with a Cuisinart (the only other machine we could find), which apparently makes goo-bread by design. Evidently bread makers are passe, so haven't replaced it. SWMBO just buys specialty bread from Panera now.

At $235 from Amazon isn't exactly FesteringTool country. That's about the price of a 106" hunk of Festering metal. If the bread machine works as well as our old BreadMan it would be well worth that. The Cuisinart can go to the dump. That was a lot of money wasted.
Add pictures here
✖

The problem is yuppie bread makers. You need a real bread maker:
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Mixer.jpg
Then you just need someone that knows how to make the stuff:
http://jbstein.com/Flick/Bread.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/BreadBoard2.jpg
--
Jack
I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work.

We have a decent mixer, but that only does 1/4 of the job and doesn't do it when we're not home. I'm sure that works well for the Army, though.
<...>
Add pictures here
✖
wrote the following:

Izzat a real live 440v 3ph knicker twister, Jack?

I just finished dessert, but that made me hungry. Sourdough, I hope? Got my address?

What, no -real- bread knife? Here's a pretty girl: http://fwd4.me/VyZ For elitists, Wusthof: http://fwd4.me/Vya
-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Jaques wrote:

It's a real live Hobart A200, 120v dunno hp but the sucker is strong as hell, heavy as hell also... The last time I moved that sucker I was a little younger and stronger. It is where it is now...

Not sourdough, but my wifes own recipe of a mix between her super duper standard homemade regular bread and her super duper Italian bread. I call it the best Italian bread ever made by any human. It is scary good...

My wife tells me all the time that is not a bread knife? It has some corrugated/serrated thing-ees on the end so I tell her it is a bread knife. I like it because the wide blade makes it easy to cut straight slices. We fight any time the bread is cut less than perfect... You run out of big things to fight about after knowing someone 56 years...

Yeah, thats the style my wife uses. I use it sometimes when she isn't looking:-)
> For elitists, Wusthof: http://fwd4.me/Vya
I'm way too down to earth (cheap) to buy something like that, That's like the festool of bread knives:-)
--
Jack
Got Change: Democratic Republic ======> Banana Republic!
wrote the following:

Is it at least VERY yeasty? That makes for an excellent bread.

<g>
My motto is NEVER FESTER! <snort>
-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Jaques wrote:

The yeasty thing gets old after awhile and you look for other things. We've been eating mostly our own bread for over 20 years now and now I like a lighter, airy bread. This Italian/regular she makes is real good but the crust, particularly when toasted, or in a garlic bread should be illegal.
I bought her the Hobart about 20 years ago because I loved home made bread and the yeasty taste was a big part of that, mainly when hot out of the oven. Now, we freeze her bread and it's great all the time. She burnt up a "heavy duty" KitchenAid mixer in no time trying to mix dough, the Hobart doesn't even get warm and will out last both of us I'd guess.
About the only down side is store bought bread is barely eatable.
--
Jack
Got Change: The Individual =======> The Collective!

Ah, that's a 'toy' model in the Hobart line. it's a counter-top unit. (Per the spec sheet it is a 1/2 hp motor.)
The 'serious' Hobarts are _floor_ standing units, e.g. the HL1400. 140qt bowl. 5'8" tall, 4' deep, 2-1/2' wide. Motor is 5hp, 3 phase, 240v or 480v. Weighs in at 1,385 lbs. *empty*. It'll mash 100 lbs of potatoes in a single batch. Or mix enough bread dough for around 250 one-pound loaves.
Add pictures here
✖

We've had one for about a year - makes the previous unit look like an Easy- Bake Oven. Buy good quality, only cry once.
Scott
Add pictures here
✖

Indeed. Of course, now I am eyeing the 10 qt induction heated pressure rice cooker. I mean, a "Gaba Brown Rice" setting? That's worth a couple of hundred bucks right there! UNDER 400 smackeroonies, no less. http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/ricecookers/np_htc.html
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 13:33:31 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

How does it do on making pizza dough?
Add pictures here
✖

We use ours for pizza dough more often than anything else - it makes superior pizza and foccacia... mmm.
Add pictures here
✖
I used this one for a few years when the bread machines were the rage about 10-15 years ago:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
It was fun and easy. I never made anything in it but bread and dough, but found I could make some great artisan breads as well as plain peasant style breads by making the dough in the machine and baking it in the oven on my stone.
In a year of total indulgence, I bought a sack of bread flour from Sam's, as well as 3 pounds of yeast. It was about the same price at Sam's for bulk as it was nickel and diming those ingredients from the grocery. We had fresh bread constantly, and I experimented for about 5 years or so with all kinds of recipes only to find there is no such thing as "bad" fresh, warm bread.
We also put on several pounds apiece. The bread machine is now in the garage. It is too much temptation for us. The smell of fresh bread, garlic breadsticks, foccacia etc., in the house let us know just how weak we are.
I realized I had gone over the cliff when I found an old recipe to make a "workman's loaf" that was bread dough wrapped around chunks of ham and cheese, then baked altogether.
The idea was that loaf would cook around the meat and cheese, and they would stay out of the air (bacteria) and be safe to eat at the workman's lunch break.
I found I could eat a 1# loaf of that at one sitting when it was warm...
Brushed with garlic olive oil and browned in the oven before serving made it too much to resist...
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

You are a bad person. Now I want some foccacia, drizzled with some EV and fresh rosemary. I wasn't hungry till I read your post. You are a bad person.
Very bad.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/3/2010 4:46 PM, Robatoy wrote: