OT: The Day That Jack Kennedy Died

Too true. For a good example, watch tonight's Jeopardy with top college students vying for 50K.

Stuff we lived through that they don't know happened is astonishing.

Given the level of teaching of historyin our high schools, I'm no surprised. The youngest, about 10 years ago, didn't even know what Nam was, never mind Korea. Some very, very vague knowledge of WWII, and absolutely no concept of HUAC or Tailgunner Joe, amongst others.

The current college student crop, including those studying history, seem to share the lack.

Charlie Self "Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

This happens to me with others' posts also.

On "Google Groups Help" I notice that you are able to 1) keep your posts from being archived, and 2) remove your posts (see:

Tom has chosen one of those preferences?

H.

Reply to
Hylourgos

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:39:02 -0800, charlie b brought forth from the murky depths:

--snip of lotsa good stuff, and it's "Reagan", BTW--

While sitting in school, watching the news report on the TV (in the classroom on LRAFB, Arkansas) of JFK that sad, sad day, I found reality a bit harsher than I wanted to handle. An hour later, teary bus drivers were escorting all of us home to teary mothers while our fathers were all on high alert. Ten-year-olds shouldn't have to go through that.

Let's spend that "war on drugs" money on feeding and housing our huddled masses and stop this foolish "war on terrorism" which ain't even close to being achievable. We're all more aware and will catch many of the bad guys _without_ the loss of all our liberties, rights, and cash.

Hear, hear!

Excellent idea. I'll go cheer up a neighbor whose diabetic wife is in the hospital (2 weeks now) with anemia +++.

Joining you there, cb.

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was 5 when Kennedy was assassinated. I remember the TV being on and Mom crying her eyes out.

The 60's and 70's all seemed quite normal to me. But then I had no other frame of reference.

Reply to
Mark

I was 11 and I was standing in my 4th grade classroom when news cazme over speakers. When you gpo back and look at history, It seems to me as though it has always been tumultuous and a lot of that has to do with a persons values, ideals and morality. I grew up in the drug years but since I was so against them I never noticed how prevalent they reallly were until I looked back. To me, RIGHT NOW is tumultuous time since it seems as though we about to start re-living VietNam all over again. Funny, the US gained it's independence through the same warfare we are trying to fight against. It worked for us; why won't it work for the Iraqi's?

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Don't quite understand what you mean with "... the same warfare we are trying to fight against"?

It is clearly too late to beat breast's over spilt milk, let's move on to today.

Could it possibly be that the answer to your question is that the Iraqi's clearly need _help_ if they hope to beome a democracy, just like we had?

Reply to
Swingman

Mark responds:

Yes, well I was a teenager during the '50s, and there was an appreciable difference in the decades.

Charlie Self

"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

I was walking along 42nd St and Broadway in New York City when the news flashed on the TVs in a store front window. In minutes the street was impassable with all the folks trying to listen and see what was going on. I was at a United States Coast Guard Reserve meeting the Saturday or was it Sunday, that Oswald was shot. We were just sitting down to the mid day meal when it happened. We could not believe it! That was some circus in Texas, sigh.

Until JFk was in the ground, the whole country seemed to be moving in slow motion.......

No matter your personal views of his politics, sexual behaviour, it was a sad time for this country. And perhaps a harbinger of things to come. No one is safe anywhere, any more. Ya can't stop living, ya just gotta put things like JFK, WTC, Iraq, in a separate section of your mind and keep living for yourself and those YOU care about. It is IMOOP* all a matter of perspective.

*In My Opinionated Opinion

Folla? Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice

Dave Fleming

That's what I suspected. I get the post from "TeraNews". I don't see the posts from "snip.net".

Nova

Why do you think that would be?

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Geezer.

Michael a vim & vigorous youthful...... 49.

Reply to
Michael Baglio

On 21 Nov 2003, Tom Watson spake unto rec.woodworking:

Maybe that's why it's called "Snip.net"? The Adelphia server misses the snip.net posts, too, but the Teranews server seems to catch both. I usually read from the Adelphia server, and often don't see your posts until someone quotes you.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I agree with Scott that Adelphia is not getting the feed from "Snip.net". Up until a few weeks ago I was using a Verizon DSL and got all your posts. I noticed the problem shortly after switching to Adelphia's PowerLink. It doesn't surprise me though. Just getting the Adelphia's NNTP server address from their tech support was like pulling teeth ("nobody uses news groups")... but for $3.50 per month I guess I'll have to live with it.

Nova

Michael Baglio responds:

Don't worry about it. Youth is a self-curing affliction.

Charlie Self

"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

ROFLMHO!!!!!!!!!! Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice

Dave Fleming

Thanks Tom, that was great.

I was in 11th grade, in a 3 hr. long Industrial Drafting class, IIRC I was working on plans for some papermill vats/mixers. At that age I was finally paying attention to some of the political goings on in the world and really liked JFK. I know it hit all of us hard and Thanksgiving wasn't quite the same that year. If there was one thing I could ask him today it would have to be "Why in the HELL did you pick LBJ for your VP?" There was one waste of skin!

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

Tom Watson wrote in rec.woodworking

Simply put, beautiful.

BigDog

Reply to
BigDog

Reply to
Silvan

Funny thing about HUAC and Joe, after the Soviet Union fell and many KGB files were made available, guess what? A lot of those folks really were communists.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I find it amazing that the questions for the college students are easier than those for the regular shows.

Reply to
Cape Cod Bob