OT: The Day That Jack Kennedy Died

Page 2 of 3

Charlie Self wrote:

I was 5 when Kennedy was assassinated. I remember the TV being on and Mom crying her eyes out.
The 60's and 70's all seemed quite normal to me. But then I had no other frame of reference.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
I was 11 and I was standing in my 4th grade classroom when news cazme over speakers. When you gpo back and look at history, It seems to me as though it has always been tumultuous and a lot of that has to do with a persons values, ideals and morality. I grew up in the drug years but since I was so against them I never noticed how prevalent they reallly were until I looked back. To me, RIGHT NOW is tumultuous time since it seems as though we about to start re-living VietNam all over again. Funny, the US gained it's independence through the same warfare we are trying to fight against. It worked for us; why won't it work for the Iraqi's?

"Lawrence A. Ramsey" wrote in message

Don't quite understand what you mean with "... the same warfare we are trying to fight against"?

It is clearly too late to beat breast's over spilt milk, let's move on to today.
Could it possibly be that the answer to your question is that the Iraqi's clearly need _help_ if they hope to beome a democracy, just like we had?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Yes, well I was a teenager during the '50s, and there was an appreciable difference in the decades.
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
I was walking along 42nd St and Broadway in New York City when the news flashed on the TVs in a store front window. In minutes the street was impassable with all the folks trying to listen and see what was going on. I was at a United States Coast Guard Reserve meeting the Saturday or was it Sunday, that Oswald was shot. We were just sitting down to the mid day meal when it happened. We could not believe it! That was some circus in Texas, sigh.
Until JFk was in the ground, the whole country seemed to be moving in slow motion.......
No matter your personal views of his politics, sexual behaviour, it was a sad time for this country. And perhaps a harbinger of things to come. No one is safe anywhere, any more. Ya can't stop living, ya just gotta put things like JFK, WTC, Iraq, in a separate section of your mind and keep living for yourself and those YOU care about. It is IMOOP* all a matter of perspective.
*In My Opinionated Opinion
Folla? Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd /
On 21 Nov 2003 18:05:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Geezer.
Michael a vim & vigorous youthful...<sigh>... 49.
Michael Baglio responds:

Don't worry about it. Youth is a self-curing affliction.
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
<snip>

ROFLMHO!!!!!!!!!! Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd /
charlie b wrote:

Gonna make some sawdust and shavings and splinters, and maybe a couple pieces of something useful too. :)
brought forth from the murky depths:

--snip of lotsa good stuff, and it's "Reagan", BTW--
While sitting in school, watching the news report on the TV (in the classroom on LRAFB, Arkansas) of JFK that sad, sad day, I found reality a bit harsher than I wanted to handle. An hour later, teary bus drivers were escorting all of us home to teary mothers while our fathers were all on high alert. Ten-year-olds shouldn't have to go through that.

Let's spend that "war on drugs" money on feeding and housing our huddled masses and stop this foolish "war on terrorism" which ain't even close to being achievable. We're all more aware and will catch many of the bad guys _without_ the loss of all our liberties, rights, and cash.

Hear, hear!

Excellent idea. I'll go cheer up a neighbor whose diabetic wife is in the hospital (2 weeks now) with anemia +++.

Joining you there, cb.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Well done, Tom.
That day is seared forever in my memory. I was in high school watching a play as was the entire student body. Our principal broke the news to us at the moment the play ended, for he didn't want to disrupt they play. We rode home in stunned disbelief and silence, angry when the playful, yelling grammar school kids who got on the school bus a few minutes later. Their talking and laughing was an affront to our grief.
I'll never forget the little boy saluting his daddy as the procession came abreast of him and Jackie...and the mournful sound of the drums beating a slow cadence.
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

<snip of wonderful poem>
A keeper as always Tom!
Nahmie
I hate even to think about it. I was just out of school, full of piss and vinegar, leavened with a heavy dose of optimism. Even so, I was doing inertial navigation magic for a cruise missle that could take out an orphanage in downtown Havana (gallows humor). A good friend told me the news and we went to a bar that had a TV. JFK was my first vote. He may not have been the best president, but then we'll never know. My how we went downhill from there to here.     gloom,     jo4hn
Perspective is what makes cynics of old farts ... they see how much things have changed, which is not apparent to those who don't have it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman writes:

Too true. For a good example, watch tonight's Jeopardy with top college students vying for 50K.
Stuff we lived through that they don't know happened is astonishing.
Given the level of teaching of historyin our high schools, I'm no surprised. The youngest, about 10 years ago, didn't even know what Nam was, never mind Korea. Some very, very vague knowledge of WWII, and absolutely no concept of HUAC or Tailgunner Joe, amongst others.
The current college student crop, including those studying history, seem to share the lack.
Charlie Self "Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance." Ambrose Bierce
Charlie Self wrote:

Who? :)
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

Funny thing about HUAC and Joe, after the Soviet Union fell and many KGB files were made available, guess what? A lot of those folks really were communists.
On 21 Nov 2003 13:37:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I find it amazing that the questions for the college students are easier than those for the regular shows.
Cape Cod Bob notes:

True enough, except for the music and other entertainment categories, full of bands I've never heard of...but so are the airwaves. Just finished driving 650 miles and next time will take some tapes. The music selection is pitiful. Of course, my taste is limited: I dislike current country, crap, most rock after the '60s, find today's jazz sounds like cacophonous shit.
Charlie Self
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan
Ditto. Do you like "old country", say "old" as in Western Swing? If so, go to:
www.wildriverband.com
Let me know if you do ... I can make some arrangements. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03