OT: The Day That Jack Kennedy Died

Page 1 of 3
Come late each November I'm called to remember The day that Jack Kennedy died
We were sitting at school When we heard some mad fool Killed Our President All of us cried
The bus home was silent We thought of the violent And hideous act that was done
We were so young And so horribly stung And a terrible pain was inside
The next several days Were a nightmarish haze Of black and white images keening
As on our TV In the land of the free Came a story that tried to give meaning
To a meaningless act And the life changing fact That no one nor nothing is safe
To a meaningless act And the life changing fact That no one nor nothing is safe
Neither whisper nor shout was heard all about As the drums beat their slow deadly cadence The riderless horse and the caissons slow course Through the streets of democracy's radiance
The pall in the air and the backwards turned boots The heartbreaking sight of a young son's salute 'Twas more than a great nation's children could stand And even though now that I say I'm a man
I've still got a tear in my eye at this time Still look for a reason and try to make rhyme And reason of what on that November day Went out of this child And the whole USA.
I was 20 years old, in the middle of Lake Maricaibo, Venezuela and we had a dickens of a time finding out what was going on. Tried tuning into VOA about 2 AM when the short waves started skipping, but could barely pick up every other word. It was a good three days before we got most of the story and confirmed the fact that Kennedy was indeed dead. During that three day period we actually came under attack by Indians on the very south end of the lake, part of a communist conspiracy to steal our seismograph explosives ... that took our mind off the whole JFK affair for a day or two.
It was Christmas eve '63 before I got the story in it's entirety.... amazing how much global communications have changed, just in my lifetime.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

This is really weird.
I don't ever get Tom's posts, even though I've checked my blocked senders list and he ain't on it. Don't think he'd ever be on it, come to think of it. There's only two wreck regulars (more like whackos) on the list, and Tom sure doesn't fit the criteria for that. So, any ideas? Is there a setting in Outlook Express I might be missing?
Jon E
UseNet ain't what it used to be. Apparently many ISP's are having a hard time finding sysadmin's smart enough to run nntp servers. I'm using a pay service (MegaNetNews), and I also monitor the forum occasionally using my ISP's nntp servers ... they never agree on message counts. You miss a whole bunch of posts either way you go.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

whole
senders
of
and
Swingman wrote:

I run leafnode, which is a local news server for Linux. I have it set to pull articles from three different upstream sources, and I *still* miss tons of posts.
This whole subject is probably revealing of the Wreck age gap. JFK getting shot is just another historical factoid to me.
We whippersnappers have our own memorable milestones. Off hand, I can think of two events that were so shocking I can remember where I was when I heard about them.
* Gorbachev getting ousted, with the implication that the Evil Commie Empire was about to collapse... I was sitting on the couch (in my parents house) eating green seedless grapes.
* September 11th. Savannah, GA, just off Montgomery Cross Rd. Customer came in late babbling about airplanes hitting the World Trade Center. Yeah right. Then I turned on the radio, and spent the next seven hours driving home listening to the unending news. It was like in that movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still." I hope I never see anything so surreal as that again. Ever.
"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:

<snip>
I didn't get the original post either, although I do get about half of Tom's posts. I too have checked my filters and have gone as far as disabling "NewsProxy" to see if I was filtering his domain.
Tom are you posting via two different ISP's?

I use two different news servers because one or the other always seems to be down or slow. My primary is news.snip.net, which runs through my ISP (although I don't know who their provider is) the backup (which I'm on right now) is teranews.
Tom Watson wrote:

That's what I suspected. I get the post from "TeraNews". I don't see the posts from "snip.net".

Why do you think that would be?
On 21 Nov 2003, Tom Watson spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Maybe that's why it's called "Snip.net"?          The Adelphia server misses the snip.net posts, too, but the Teranews server seems to catch both. I usually read from the Adelphia server, and often don't see your posts until someone quotes you.

Tom Watson wrote:

I agree with Scott that Adelphia is not getting the feed from "Snip.net". Up until a few weeks ago I was using a Verizon DSL and got all your posts. I noticed the problem shortly after switching to Adelphia's PowerLink. It doesn't surprise me though. Just getting the Adelphia's NNTP server address from their tech support was like pulling teeth ("nobody uses news groups")... but for $3.50 per month I guess I'll have to live with it.
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:07:19 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
the murky depths:

If I'm not one of those whackos you described, try looking in the menu at Tools/Message Rules/News for additional filters.
Also check with your host to see that they're not filtering the entire host Tom's on, voicenet or the alias "spamkiller.net".
-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ---------- http://diversify.com Poly-free Website Development

of
The host is not getting one of two news servers Tom posts from. Simple. And I won't be able to change Adelphia's mind either.
No you ain't one o' them whackos. You can probably guess at least one. He's probably on 90% of the wreck's kill filters.
Jon
This happens to me with others' posts also.
On "Google Groups Help" I notice that you are able to 1) keep your posts from being archived, and 2) remove your posts (see: http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html#prevent )
Perhaps Tom has chosen one of those preferences?
H.
message

It has been said many times that if you are old enough to remember this event you will never forget where you were and what you were doing.
Without going through all the details, I was part of a 26 week live TV game show which was a pilot for what was to become a national game show. There were 3 of us on camera, the emcee, the obligatory pretty young lady in a short skirt who ran the board (sort of a 60's Vanna White), and myself, the resident geek. What made this game different was that a computer was used to play each of the 25,000 or so card formats simultaneously. This allowed the producer to have some control on the number of winners, and get a list of the winning card numbers to verify the winners who called in. The game was televised in Denver, and the set had an elaborate computer complete with a massive console and tape drives in the background. It was all fake. The only thing which was real was my headset and a phone line to Los Angeles, where the real computer was located. I took directions from the director via the head set, and also used it to communicate with a computer operator in LA.
Just before the final commercial break, the operator in LA became very excited and I thought that the computer had "gone down" -- this happened a lot, and we had a hot standby in San Francisco to complete the game. She told me that she had a radio in the computer room, and that the local news was reporting that the President was dead. I quietly asked the director if this was true, but he knew nothing of it. Seconds later we hit the break, and I informed the emcee of what I knew -- there was still no conformation on the local news lines. We finished the show, but by then it had become known to the news room what had happened. I will never forget the awesome feeling of responsibility that overcame me because of what I knew and what should I do about it.
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /
There are points in our lives that change us.
For me it began with the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was a high school student in the Panama Canal Zone - the high school being about a mile from a designated nuclear target, and U2 planes flying over the school on take off and landing - "taking air samples over Cuba", around the clock.
The Canal Zone was the HQ for USARCARIB (US Armed forces CARIBbean) and the tension was palpable. Humanity came terribly close to extinction during those few days. How close we've only learned recently. All those air raid drills we grew up with seemed pretty pointless.
The Civics class teacher entering the classroom - face pale, struggling for words and ways to tell us our president had been shot and killed. Living in Latin America, presidents and generals were assassinated often enough to seem not unusual - President Ramon of Panama, Somoza- the military dictator of Guatemala or Nicaragua or some other Central American country. But that didn't happen in the United States - we were different. But we weren't and we aren't. We're a little more "sophisticated" and often don't have actual physical assassinations - we just assassinate reputations and character.
But I digress.
And when hope returned - Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone were assassinated by a former San Francisco supervisor and former policeman - in City Hall. Realing from that one, another blow - Jonestown, Gueanna (sp?). And then Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. were assassinated.
Perhaps we weren't any different than "those places" where leaders and dreamers and poets and peace makers died suddenly and violently because they posed a real or perceived threat to "someone".
Hinkley shoots Raegen (I'm still not sure how to spell his name and he was the governor of my state and president of my country - mental block I guess) - to impress Foster? Has the world gone mad? (Anyone remember Jim Brady - another victim of that day?)
Who knows how many kids died of gun shot wounds in drive bys or stabbed to death at or near school or in front of their houses. Their deaths went unnoticed. But when middle class white boys coldly and methodically blow away classmates and teachers - in the school - we sat up and took notice - at least for a while. How could this happen? Why did this happen? Who is to blame? Something must be done!
But it's happened enough since then to no longer be as shocking, or noteworthy.
We're a relatively young country and perhaps we'll grow out of it. Maybe our vocabulary will change as we mature. Maybe "war" will gain back the meaning it has for those who fought the war we call World War II. And maybe we won't throw the term around quite so lightly as we have with our "war on poverty" (HUH!?), "war on drugs" and now "war on terrorists/terrorism". Well, let's try "war on campaign financing" and then get back to the word's true meaning.
In the mean time, let's all try, if only briefly, to be more considerate of others, to lend a helping hand or provide a comforting word when it's needed. The big events stick in our minds - but it's the little day to day things we do that make tomorrow a little better or a little worse than yesterday - for all of us. Things change one person at a time. What're you going to do tomorrow?
Donning his Nomex suit he said - "Ya'll take care now."
charlie b

I guess, if you ignore the shootings of Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield and William McInley.
<g>
charlie b writes:

I was a former Marine ad writer for a small agency in NYC, absolutely sure we'd be called up. Didn't happen. Kennedy's death didn't really penetrate for some time...like many others, I felt it was impossible, that kind of thing didn't happen here (comes of paying too little attention to history). I quit working and went back to college shortly afterwards, amid what seemed a deluge of high publicity murders. The '60s were truly a tumultuous time and the '70s, at least early on, no calmer.

It's Raygun, the president with the most unindicted co-conspirators ever Jim Brady's name was pretty well kept in front of the country by Sarah Brady. In fact, that's only seemed to fade in the past couple years.

A good start would be re-naming the Department of Defense the Department of War. A quick look at history shows a much higher scale of adventurism in government since the DOW became the DOD after WWII.
Charlie Self "Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance." Ambrose Bierce