OT: That means NOT woodworking related.

Page 2 of 6
"Mark & Juanita" wrote

either
Which proves that politicians will lie to both money (CEO), and votes (workers), in equal measure.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:20:30 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

"Some call you the ultra-rich. I call you my base."

Funny how quickly that exchange ended.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Thats usually how it goes with party liners. May be able to hit a slowball right over the plate, anything else usually stops em dead in their tracks. If it aint scripted repetition its over.
Mark
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:08:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
Do a google search Rezko.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
LRod wrote:

funny how quickly a day goes and there isn't time to respond to everything; some of us have to get up the next day and go to work.

Yeah. uh, jobs are heavily dependent on the stock market.

And companies are heavily dependent on consumers. Guess what happens to your beloved stocks when consumer confidence plummets? Why should politicians stimulate some markets at the expense of the labor market? For example, overseas profit centers are taxed at a lower rate. Do you really need to provide companies with incentives to purchase labor overseas?

What do you do now?

This is hard to answer without boring the socks off you. Right after college, I worked in accounts receivable. From there I became the AS/ 400 guru. Then into IT. Now I design enterprise UNIX solutions. I want to be clear: economics wasn't my major. It was my concentration within my major. We were required to take 24 credits in a related discipline. I still do a lot of statistical analysis so I suppose it wasn't a complete waste of money. In fact Mason and Lind sit on my desk as we speak...
Cheers, Jeff
Jeff wrote:

So the Dot.com bust, the Enron & Electric deregulation fiasco and the telecommunication melt down/corruption were not fruits of the 90's "prosperity"? Incidentally recessions happen every 7 to 10 years, almost like clockwork and have for over a century......politicians come and go but get credit when the economy is good and blame when bad but realistically have little to do with it. Certain legislation may impact niche products or industries i.e the 1993 luxury tax killed big boats or the 1996 telecommunication bill gave us the telecommunication corruption or the 1979 saving & loan deregulation gave us the late 1980's bailout but the aggregate economic whole is bigger and more powerful than any politician can ever aspire to...... Rod
Jeff wrote:

It may be worth noting that we've had troops in Germany and Japan 65 plus years...and yet last I heard the hostilities have ceased. It serves our strategic and security interests to place troops and bases around the world, Iraq would simply be another of those places....understanding often requires context. Incidentally while such a world wide presence is expensive in both coin and often world opinion, power detests a vacuum, if we withdrew from the world stage the world wide defense or military build-up would be staggering and ever increasingly unstable and violent. Rod
I'll

You'll note that I said I didn't believe Clinton and Obama. They won't be able to leave on short order. But I want US civilian leadership with that mindset. We can't allow the Iraqis to string us along.
The experience in Germany and Japan is not really comparable to Iraq. Both countries were pretty homogeneous. In Iraq we have three large groups that refuse to reconcile differences. US troops have done a fine job but their mission relies on people who operate outside the US chain of command. In order to achieve political stability, the Iraqis must achieve political compromise. The US army can blow the shit out of anything the civilian leadership asks it to, but it can't make the Shia, Sunni and Kurds get along.

It pays to remember when the U.S. entered WWII, in December 1941, and when it emerged, victorious, before the end of 1945, actually just a shade under four years later. Now, check the dates of the Iraqi mess. Check the readiness of the Iraqi troops. Check the readiness of the Iraqi political system.
We had the advantage of starting WWII with a sane political system, something the Iraqis don't (and probably will never) have, but they are now five years into a U.S. supported war with virtually no territory under true Iraqi control.
I know damned well our troops can train their troops if the troops are told, by their Iraqi leaders, to pay attention. These youngsters in our military are quite probably the best soldiers we've ever fielded. But they are still doing 99% of the fighting, when most should be packing their bags and getting ready to leave forever.
It is not going to happen. The Iraqis themselves have an expressed interest in democracy, but no experience and no cultural conditioning to make it truly acceptable on a long term basis. What they do have is more than 1,000 years of hate, for each other (Shia, Sunni, Kurds), for anyone who differs from them culturally or religiously, and a host of ignorant leaders (Sadr, et al) leading a horde of ignorant followers in any way that increases the power of the leader. Tribalism is rampant.
We can't get out immediately, for sure, but a deadline is essential, with definite steps to the deadline--to be met by the Iraqis, in that, "We're moving xxx troops out of this province and sending them to the U.S. on such and such a date. Be ready to take over or suffer the consequences, 'cause we ain't comin' back." Then do it.
Let them wipe their own asses, even if they keep doing it with their bare hands.
All GWB has done, other than waste U.S. lives and money, is step up the date for a massive dissolution in the Middle East. What might have teetered along for another 20 or or 25 years, or even 50, is now going to erupt within a decade. Personally, I think the eruption is going to break the entire area up on ancient tribal lines, with, unfortunately, almost all having access to modern weaponry.
Effectively, we're almost certainly training these people to kill more of us later, just as we did in Afghanistan when supplying guerillas with weapons to fight the Soviets.

In line with this philosopy, I'm sure that you tell all the thieves and gangs in your area the day you intend to go on vacation, and where the spare key is hidden?
Man, my head's exploding. Based on many of your earlier comments, I

Where he comes from, Robert Scheer is an ultra-conservative. He's just trolling again anyway.
--
********
Bill Pounds

Ohhh it's YOU! (Kinda thought so... nothing to contribute, just loose diatribe when you don't have a clue what's being discussed.... )

PS.. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you earlier... I was busy signing pay-cheques for my crews. I realize how important you are Bill, but I got back to you as soon as I could. I hope it is not too late.
Ohhh it's YOU! (Kinda thought so... nothing to contribute, just loose diatribe when you don't have a clue what's being discussed.... )
It's bad enough that you've reduced yourself to nothing but trolling in recent times. But if you must spend all your time OT maybe you could spend it criticizing your own government instead of ours. Your opinion of our politics is of no importance. Regardless which party I may hold to, as an outsider your criticisms are an insult.
So, F_CK Y_ _ Would you like to buy a vowel?
--
********
Bill Pounds
Jeff wrote:

... snip

So that makes it all better? Since the rest of the world is taxing the bejeebers out of its citizens, we should follow along?

A little clarification here. I think the fed bailout of Bear-Stearns is equally as bad as bailing out people who took out home loans they knew they couldn't afford. Both actions promote irresponsibility. There is nothing written anywhere that says people have to be successful all the time.
My comment was more in line with your comment relative to stocks vs. jobs. Yeah, the dems talk a good game about jobs, but in the end, who really provides the jobs? It's the businesses, the corporations, the entrepreneurs who are creating jobs and wealth. Many of those businesses are publicly traded on the stock market. The government only taxes wealth and the dems especially could be considered anti-job with their strong emphasis on penalizing those who create jobs through higher taxes, more regulation, and other anti-business policies. You don't promote prosperity by piling more and more weights on the elements of society contributing to that prosperity.
I'm sure the next comment will be the exorbitant salaries of the CEO's vs. the workers. Guess what? I agree that there is a problem here, but the solution is not more government oversight,but stockholders, particularly the institutional investors exerting their weight on the boards.

What flavor of economics was in favor at the time of your major? Those I knew when I was in school were equally divided between Marxism and Keynesian economic theory. Adam Smith capitalism was in short supply.