OT: That means NOT woodworking related.

Page 1 of 6
Obama dropped a whack of lead he had in the polls. But it wasn't him, was it? Just how dirty do things get down there?
I don't like the guy much, but compared to Bush-Light, I think I'd rather have Obama as my neighbour than McCain.
My roots are conservative, but considering the giant clusterfuck we have enjoyed, I'm not so sure we want to go this way.
rrrrrr
Robatoy wrote: ...

Fortunately, it isn't your call... :)

You display that famous arrogance I talk about.

BTW... here you go, asshole: http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/president/16809706.html

Man, my head's exploding. Based on many of your earlier comments, I had you pegged on the liberal side. I must not have seen all your comments...
I'm not particularly thrilled with any of the candidates but I would like an antidote to Bush. This era feels like Reagan redux. We've replaced replaced junk bonds with subprime mortgages, Michael Milken with Angelo Mozilo. The savings and loan bail out will soon be replaced with a mortgage buy out. In both cases, a few cronies got rich and the public paid the price. Disaster could have been avoided with regulatory enforcement.
Unfortunately, it takes a fiasco to remind people why we regulate markets in the first place. Regulatory agencies were better funded in the 1990s and we experienced a sustained period of prosperity. That doesn't serve well for those who argue they deter growth. If nothing else, Reagan was better than Bush in one regard. On the eve of the 1990 recession, income was high. Only a few reaped the benefits of stellar turn of the century productivity gains. Now we face a 2008 recession with 1999 paychecks....
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

From a Canadian perspective, I'd say that Rob is right of centre by a fairly wide margin. From a US POV, he's still right but not as far.
It's interesting how those two above statements are almost at odds with each other....
Tanus

I live in the Northeast and to many of my friends I'm not left enough. (If you say *anything* positive in this political climate, you're considered a Bushie) But Southerners will see my defense of regulation and call me a commie. Until they find out I'm pretty much godless, then they'll want to lynch me or something. To both I say, "meh."
"Jeff" wrote

Hell, son ... someone has to pay for those big Christmas bonuses!
<Damn, did I say "Christmas"?? ... mea culpa.>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

And here I pictured you licking St. Harper's boots.
<...snipped...>

<...snipped...>
Along those same lines, something from Molly Ivins, I think: When a Republican president visits a factory of for instance a furniture producer, he thanks the president or owner of the company for supplying our country with the fine funiture the company produces. When a Democratic president visits the same factory, he thanks the employees.
On Mar 20, 11:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

On Mar 20, 11:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Yes, close to true. But when an independent visits that factory, he/ she thanks both the owners and workers for the furniture, for without both, there would be no furniture.
And this is a little feature that the goddamned idiots in both parties have forgotten. Owners are essential. Workers are essential. Some sort of sensible and at least semi-polite relationship between the two is also essential. Politicians who work to widen the natural split created by money need to have their tongues ripped out.

If I was around you now I would buy you a beer and cigar. How could that have been said better.
I am sick of all this crap generated by politicians that pretend to, but don't care about us at all. All of them and their armchair army of expert talking heads can bite my ass.
It constantly floors me to see that so many morons still believe there are huge differences between the parties and what they ACTUALLY do. Key word: Actually - NOT "promise" to do.
Robert
Robert, contact me off list.
Lew
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:06:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Oh, there's a difference. It's which special interest groups they pander to in order to get their votes :-).
I still say we draw names from registered voters as per a jury pool, 3 for each office, and let them campaign for one month with free space/time in/on newspapers/radio and TV. Once elected, you'd serve one term and them be free of the obligation to serve again for some number of years.
Who knows? If the political parties keep on the way they're going, the idea might just catch on :-).
Charlie Self wrote:

Wow, I actually agree with Charlie. That's one of the problems we have right now -- the promotion of class warfare to promote that split.

Charlie Self wrote:

100% agreed - but you missed the flip side:
Politicians who think they have *any* role in the employer/employee relationship need to ... well, what you said.
Employment (other than government employment) is a private matter. Short of fraud, force, or threat, there ought be no government involvement at all, certainly not by the Feds.
Having been both a boss and a worker bee in my career, my observation is that doing either job well is difficult, but the challenges are different. Employees tend to think of the boss as useless driftwood. When I have seen promising employees grumping about the "idiots in management", I try to find opportunities for them to lead a project or group. It tends to radically improve their context and appreciation for how hard the job of "boss" really is.
Despite what you see in the slurpy media, most bosses - at least the successful ones - actually do have a pretty fair appreciation of their people. Most of them were once individual contributors themselves. The media tends to resort to the "The Man" kind of characterizations, because precious few people in media (or government for that matter) have ever had to make payroll, listen to the personal woes of their reports, handle interpersonal strife, coach people to be their best, maintain profitability, do the endless paperwork, and all that goes with leadership.
It's been said before, but bears repeating:
Children are Dependent Adolescents are fiercly Independent Mature adults are Interdependent
Sadly, in this culture that values feelings above facts, we have a depressing number of nominal adults whose behavior is stuck in childhood or adolescence.
P.S. The most valuable lessons I ever learned about leadership came not from a book, a class, or even a great boss. They came from *lousy* bosses who demonstrated vividly just what NOT to do. I've been really fortunate in not having many of them, but the ones I did have were walking encyclopedias of leadership malfunction. It is also interesting to me that the same people who rail about stupid bosses, overpaid CEOs, and dishonest corporations, are often the exact same ones who think nothing of padding an expense report, stealing assets from work, goofing off instead of finding ways to be useful, and generally acting like spoiled children. Go figure.
P.P.S I have also been incredibly lucky to have had uniformly superb folks reporting to me when I've been the boss. Good leaders understand that this is a gift - your people give you permission to lead and you must be a steward of that gift.
Ross Hebeisen wrote: now lets carry on in the middle east blowing the

Maybe because it is the right thing to do.....there is no gain or personal advantage for the U.S. but defending a people who have been long abused, murdered and exploited that now simply want to be left alone, it is indeed the moral or correct thing to do. Land wise they occupy a small speck of what was a desert waste land, they have a democracy and they have a million Arabs that actually vote in contrast to the despots and dictators that occupy the surrounding countries. Not a hard concept to grasp for any freedom loving person.....Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

Uh, when did the US "fight" on Israel's behalf? Israel doesn't seem to need anybody to fight their wars for them.
--John
Larry W wrote:

her class-envy, class-warfare world view and makes a nice, terse vingette. Of course the problem is that it's wrong. Please provide a cite where this is the case. Take a look at when Bush (or frankly any politician of either side) visits a factory: he may thank the CEO or other executive for inviting him (after all, that's most likely where the invitation originated), but he will then go on to praise the workers of the business for the "fine products they produce and how they are showing how America works".