OT... Thanks Johnny

*raises a glass to one of the funniest men ever*
Reply to
Sandman

Best in the business. Leno, Letterman, and the others couldn't hold a candle to this guy.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

I will certainly klink mine to yours. I am in awe of Mr. C who seemed to be at his best when his material was at its worst.

I am, however, curious as to why you make this toast at this time. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

He just died:

Buddy Matlosz

Apparently, he's just died. Heard it on the radio news. Emphysema supposedly.

Reply to
Upscale

I was sorry to hear of his passing.

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Same here. I recall attending a Friday night "The Tonight Show" in the Burbank Studio back in 1988 when I held 4 tickets. He was truly an amazing entertainer.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yep, he had the talent to be hilarious even when the material was dying or something was going wrong. (anybody remember "Frontier Bris"?)

Mark & Juanita

Johnny was my favorite all time late night host. The rest are pikers. Anyone remember "Who Do You Trust"?

We just lost a national treasure.

David

Sandman wrote:

Reply to
David

Yeah, Johnny was one in a million. I don't think there will ever be another like him.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Sure not Jay Leno. I'll raise a glass to him too, if a bit late.

Reply to
Silvan

One of the best tributes I've read is by Larry Miller at

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

He seems to have worn out early to me...initially I thought he would be pretty good, but either it was just the new kid phenomenon or something but I've not thought him of much interest for some time...I do like the "headlines" segment, though, but that's nothing about him... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Who? When? What? Oh, that chin guy who used to be on the Tonight Show after Johnny retired? Is that show still on? :)

(I heard Leno is going to retire to be replaced with Conan O'Brien. Oh yeah, that's the winning move. I've never managed to sit through more than two minutes of one of Conan's shows. The guy is a true dingleberry.)

(All the more reason not to watch TV. About all I do watch is various flavors of Law & Order and South Park. Maybe some stand-up comedy. I like that Tater Salad guy a lot, and that here's your sign guy.)

Reply to
Silvan

As are the others at least on network...since have no cable/dish, that's all that I've access to and watch very little of that other than the local weather -- well, as close as they get to "local"... :)

Never seen any of the other you mention altho I've heard tell of S Park but don't think it would be anything I'd watch even if it were available...

I do try to see the "Baxter Black and Friends" episodes on Sunday evenings, though. (That, of course, is a regional thing--if one isn't pretty familiar w/ raising cattle, farming, "vitin-eery" work, etc., it's unlikely he will nearly as good...

When he was still "vet-ing" as a livelihood, called in big city vet to help figure out how to keep from going broke since they seemed to be doing well.

"What's your fee structure?"

"Well, I ask for ten bucks and keep the hide." :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth