OT? Ten Step Guide to Being Handy Around the House

Ten Step Guide to Being Handy Around the House
1. If you can't find a screwdriver, use a knife. If you break off the tip, it's an improved screwdriver.
2. Try to work alone. An audience is rarely any help.
3. Above all, if what you've done is stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid.
4. Work in the kitchen whenever you can ... many fine tools are there, it’s warm and dry, and you are close to the refrigerator.
5. If it's electronic, get a new one ... or consult a twelve-year-old.
6. Stay simple minded: Get a new battery; replace the bulb or fuse; see if the tank is empty; try turning the switch "on”; or just paint over it.
7. Always take credit for miracles. If you dropped the alarm clock while taking it apart and it suddenly starts working, you have healed it.
8. Regardless of what people say, kicking, pounding, and throwing sometimes DOES help.
9. If something looks level, it is level.
10. If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thirty years ago, when computer monitors were seriously expensive, I had one that had a flaky vertical hold. The repair people said it would be cheaper to replace than fix, but it wasn't in my budget.
So I slapped it. That worked, slapping it a couple times a day when it went out. After a couple weeks, slapping didn't help and I had to hit it. After a few weeks I had to pound it. Then I had to drop it from a few inches. The height I had to drop it to fix it kept getting higher until one day it caught on fire. That was pretty much the end of it.
Does that support your guide, or not?
Add pictures here
βœ–
There was a Mac on the market a few years ago that had a video problem. The tech support recommended fix was to hit it.

one
cheaper
went
After
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yep -- it's called "percussive maintenance". :-)
--
Regards,
βœ–
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:40:14 +0000, Toller wrote:

No. Computers run on smoke. Never let the smoke out.
}:)
Add pictures here
βœ–
jo4hn wrote:

Its a good job you don't work with power tools?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Add pictures here
βœ–