OT Temperature

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:17:20 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Here in the Snoqualmie Valley there are lots of Creeks that feed the Snoqualmie River. On the East side it might be a lot more subjective depending on the time of year.
On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:41:56 -0500, Leon wrote:

It's been decent in Al so far, highs in the high 80's low 90's, unfortunately humidity hovering around 90 also. Just now got hot enough for the okra to grow.
basilisk
On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:

Hi yesterday, 89
Lo this morning 64, feels like fall. Very low humidity and the 3rd straight day with a north wind.
On 7/1/2013 7:44 AM, Leon wrote:

OK, confirmed! This mornings low is 4 degrees lower than the record low set in 1985.
And yes, Saturdays heat wave did set a record high.
On 7/2/2013 9:19 AM, Leon wrote: ...

State Lows: Colby      46°F Goodland     48°F Great Bend     51°F Hill City     51°F Hays      51°F
We didn't quite make the list; was 52F here this morning...
As you, we're under that central low that's keeping the really hot stuff on the west coast at the moment, just a few hundred miles north. The 109F on Thursday wasn't close to a record high, though...those are on the weather station here at the house; there isn't an official NWS station here. The airport recorded 107+ and their recorded record for the day is 109F. I'm not sure how far the online history goes back, though, probably not terribly far....yeah, looks like only back to 1939 so that doesn't have the great heat wave of the 1860s in it when Manhattan (KS) recorded over 120F. Weren't any recording stations out here then; town wasn't founded until 1888 when Rock Island ended here waiting for them to open up OK to finish line across the panhandle to meet up on other side to El Paso...
On 7/2/2013 9:19 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Intended to comment--it's getting the dewpoint down that's the key; lows basically will be a few degrees higher than the dewpoint--it's that dewpoints stay so high along the coast and other areas in the east/south that prevents the cooling of at night...we think if dewpoints get to the 50s it's oppressively humid.... :)

Also, it's not terribly surprising for Goodland; it's in NW and fairly high (pushing 4000 if not; don't recall exact elevation otomh--well, did go look; isn't quite as high as was thinking--about 3700', roughly 900' higher than we are). Hill City is about 80-90 mi east of Goodland but despite being in the northern part of state (N of I-70), they're often as hot or hotter than we are in the SW corner...Thursday when we were the 108 or so they were 109F. Despite the name, they're actually ~700' lower than we are. Their records are all in 110-115F range for this time in July whereas ours tend to be more in the 104-110F range...

Doesn't a heat-wave have to be at least four consecutive days of high temperatures?

Three days

I should clarify. Three days of 90+

We call that a slight warming trend during winter. :-)

That depends on where you are. Three days of 100- is a cold snap in Phx this time of year. Art

That could be true, the whole previous 10-12 days had been hot with Saturday being the hottest and highest. Sunday and since has been pleasant. At my location as soon as the sun goes down it is very pleasant even in the hot days of summer, that was not true last week.