OT - Take it out in trade

Before I begin, I'd like to say that the subject line on my Google 'compose message' fills in the subject automatically, while you, uh, stroke the keys (they're called keystrokes, okay?) and I have about 8 or 10 posts that start with OT. Perhaps I should actually learn something about woodworking so that I can post something ON topic. Having said that,

Do people still trade labor any more? Steve's post about wanting some writing done in exchange for a plane got me to thinking about that. A few weeks ago, I offered to hang about 50 SF of tongue-and-groove wainscoating in exchange for a wood-burning stove and the lady who was getting rid of the stove had to think about it for a minute. She was on the verge of selling the stove for fifty bucks, and wasn't sure about exchanging a couple of hours of my time for that stove.

I wanted the stove, she wanted the t&g hung, what's the problem? Suppose that she had sold me the stove for $50 and used that money to hire a 'real' carpenter who would have hung that 1x for her. If I were trying to make a living at remodeling, it wouldn't have been worth my time to drive 40 minutes, haul out my tools, make the cuts, shoot off the t&g and collect my check for fifty dollars. I don't make a living remodeling, and she doesn't make a living selling wood stoves. That being said, we can remove all of the 'cost of doing business' issues and strike a bargain. Or can we?

My folks did a lot of business like that. That's where I learned the expression, "We'll take it out in trade." Do people not do that any more? Do any of y'all do that?

My wife and I are friends with some folks that do a bit of business breeding birds. We want a bird, they want an addition. I can frame, side, drywall and trim it. Why not agree to a cash/bird deal? I would enter into a deal like that with most of the people here, and I've never met any of you in person.

Is it just that you should only do this with "good people?" Perhaps, today, the line between "good people" and "no-good sunsabitches" is getting blurrier and blurrier?

I'll stop before I get any further into my own psyche. Just wondering out loud.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

It still happens. A couple of summers ago, the power company cleared off the right of way on our property. Left behind were a few cedar logs nearly a foot in diameter. SWMBO and I loaded them up and took them to a guy we get lumber from. He was a bandsaw mill, and provided the QS red oak for my Morris chairs. We dropped off the logs, he said he'd let us know when he got to them. I was gone on a job,and SWMBO called to tell me that she had traded the cutting on the logs for some of her home-made soap. So I've got a resonable pile of rough cut cedar boards for nothing more than our labor loading them and her labor making a couple bars of soap. There's probably a line to be had in there about one hand washing the other, but that would be a stretch.

John

Reply to
JPLipe

We still trade out here in southeast Mo. last summer I was needing a riding mower and a guy I know was needing a computer. I tried out the mower and he played around on the computer. We traded and still friends. Someone I work with was building a garage, I helped him frame up all the walls, hang the trusses and he supplied me with all the 2x4's and siding I needed for a 8x10 shed I was building. A few months back a woodworker that comes to the dealership to buy parts for the company he works for was building his daughter a cedar chest with 2 drawers in it. He asked me to dove tail them for him. I dove tailed the drawers and he gave me a few pieces of walnut I needed for a project. If we can't trade out some labor/items and help each other out what have we become.

Reply to
Mike S.

I'd say she was getting a hell of a deal.

That's for Damm Sure! you should have told her to get an estimate from a 'real' carpenter , She would be calling you that night. Tony D.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

I do, but I'm finding it harder to do. for some reason people seem to think I should give them a huge discount on my time if it's in trade. not all people, but enough that I rarely suggest it anymore. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

For significant expenses (like roofing or air conditioning work), each person prepares a bid for the other person's job. Bids are then exchanged and differences in costs are negotiated.

The labor can still be traded, as well as most of the materials in such an arrangement.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

People want a huge discount period.

Most recently:

Neighbor asks me to give a price on replacing the trusses and roof on his ~ 16x20 block walled garage. I would have removed the rotted roofing and rafters, trimmed the trees that caused the rot, and replace it for $400 labor, he buys the parts. I like the guy, a pipe fitter and he would have labored. He asked if I could cut him a deal.

I told him to get someone else.

Reply to
Mark

Absolutely.... I have a friend that owns a sports car repair shop and has a small network of 5 computers that I maintain for him in exchange for my auto repairs. Nice having the #4 rated Porsche mechanic in the country tweaking on my two, not so sports cars....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

On 6 Jan 2004 19:02:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Phil Crow) brought forth from the murky depths:

Yes. I belong to a trade organization, a barter bank, and did about $6,000 in trade last year. The bank idea is that you trade to the bank and can then use your credits with any of the 3,500 worldwide members, not just straight trading with a single other party. [If you join BXI, please mention my name. They pay us $100 (in trade) for referrals.]

sold my time-share and did some web programming/marketing for that. I bought dental work, gifts, my tax preparation, advertising, a guitar tuner, and several other things with the barter bucks.

Legally, you're supposed to report all trade monies to the IRS. BXI sends a 1099 to them every year for me. Straight trades such as you speak of are probably seldom reported by most people.

When I hear the phrase "We'll take it out in trade." I think of the times when pretty (but cashless) girls wanted their cars fixed. Ah, the good old days... I also used to trade work for beer back in those days. I've rescreened doors, installed windows, planed doors to fit, painted, built shelving, etc. in trade, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I set up my business, > 20 years ago, I was warned by my accountant not to "trade" services. I was informed the IRS and state tax bureau REALLY do frown on the idea.

I've found it's usually to my advantage to use my normal billing charges and then pay for the service/merchandise I require and skip the dickering.

Nova