[OT] Tain't just you Yanks

You guys are justifiably proud your snipers.

We have one or too of our own :-)

Stuart

A tip of the hat to the corporal - great work, and an interesting article too.

Reply to
Doug Brown

Very interesting. Something's funny with the numbers, though. Twenty- eight seconds total, nine rounds to kill the first, each with a time in flight of 2.6 seconds plus four others killed (no mention of the number of rounds used on the other four). That's a minimum of 13 rounds fired in 28 seconds. That means more than one bullet in flight at a time. The magazine holds five rounds, indicating at *least* two reloads in the 28 seconds.

Reply to
keithw86

I read about that rifle he uses. It shoots further than many of the siniper rifles the US military uses and is much lighter than a .50 caliber. A combination of an excellent rifle and a well trained sniper did its job.. Well done.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

>> I read about that rifle he uses. It shoots further than many of the siniper

For you US folks the caliber is .338 Lapua Magnum.

Here is another sniper:

from Finland,

seismo malm

Reply to
Seismo R. Malm

More than one or two - you have a whole history of extraordinary marksmanship going back to the days of the longbow. :)

The corporal had a steady hand and a good eye - and under pressure used them well to protect his mates.

May they all return home safe and well.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The Daily Mail isn't exactly a paragon of journalistic excellence. Given that the story also claims the muzzle velocity of this weapon is 2093 mph we are probably safe in taking the other numbers with a grain of salt.

DGDevin

to 2093 mph. I agree with keithw86 that it's extremely unlikely to fire 13 rounds and reload twice in 28 seconds. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

This is how I messed up one side of that bookcase, a brainfart is all it takes and once the sawdust flies it's too late to recalc....

936 meters per second = 3,071 feet per second = oh crap.

Supposedly it was possible to do 15-30 aimed shots a minute with a Lee-Enfield depending on training and experience--the record going to a British Army Sgt. named Snoxall who put 38 shots into a 12" bull in one minute from 300 yards .

Interesting to read about that cartridge, looks like it's becoming the NATO standard for sniping and is on its way to maybe being the U.S. sniper round as well.

Reply to
DGDevin

not really concerned about the nit picking numbers thing. It's just good to know we got one up up on them bastards.

RP

Reply to
RP

Seismo:

Not trivial whatsoever. Simo Häyhä removed over 500 confirmed Russian foe using iron sights on a bolt-action rifle in a conflict where your people faced odds perhaps as steep as 100 to 1. "Motti", "Sisu" and "Hakkaa päälle!" are among the words recalled from reading on the Winter War along with a particular exchange between a Soviet commander and an underling who managed to escape a motti with some of his force: "Why did you stop sending out patrols!?!" "Because they never came back."

Another reference worth citation is:

those interested in a clear treatment of the conflict "A Frozen Hell" is one way to start.

And--out of curiousity--is there any existing attitude residual to Sweden's unwillingness to help with materiel in that period?

By the way, that's an Earth-shaking name.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Doug Brown

command.

Reply to
DGDevin

The other issue I had was the multiple bullets in flight. Why would he shoot the second without knowing if the first hit? Why did he do that on the first perp (9 rounds), then not on the next four. If he did fire multiples on the next four, add more to the number of rounds fired (and reloads).

I don't have an issue with the feat (good job!), just the reporting stinks, IMO.

Reply to
krw

When the numbers don't add up, how do you believe the rest of the information?

Reply to
krw

So, the first eight shots don't count (except when they're counted)? That's not the way it's written. Five shots (one magazine) in 28 seconds makes more sense, though why would he reload after eight shots? The story is still fishy but it does make (some) more sense your way.

Reply to
krw

Especially here in Canada. Our politicians are a disgrace. The next election, I may actually be too ashamed of the bastards to vote for any of them.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

But you must have forgotten the single-bullet theory!

Reply to
Steve

fellow countrymen -- that is definitely heroic action.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 07 May 2010 19:47:35 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote the following:

OMG, have we infected you?

LJ, who's not looking forward to sending in his ballot in the May 18 Primary.

-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Reply to
Larry Jaques