[OT] Tain't just you Yanks

Page 1 of 2
You guys are justifiably proud your snipers.
We have one or too of our own :-)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273679/Gone-28-seconds-Rapid-sniper-takes-Taliban-soldiers-protect-British-patrol.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273679/Gone-28-seconds-Rapid-sniper-takes-Taliban-soldiers-protect-British-patrol.html
A tip of the hat to the corporal - great work, and an interesting article too.

Very interesting. Something's funny with the numbers, though. Twenty- eight seconds total, nine rounds to kill the first, each with a time in flight of 2.6 seconds plus four others killed (no mention of the number of rounds used on the other four). That's a minimum of 13 rounds fired in 28 seconds. That means more than one bullet in flight at a time. The magazine holds five rounds, indicating at *least* two reloads in the 28 seconds.

The Daily Mail isn't exactly a paragon of journalistic excellence. Given that the story also claims the muzzle velocity of this weapon is 2093 mph we are probably safe in taking the other numbers with a grain of salt.
http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/support-weapons/1459.aspx

Well, the army page specifies a muzzle velocity of 936 m/s, which IS equal to 2093 mph. I agree with keithw86 that it's extremely unlikely to fire 13 rounds and reload twice in 28 seconds. Kerry

This is how I messed up one side of that bookcase, a brainfart is all it takes and once the sawdust flies it's too late to recalc....
936 meters per second = 3,071 feet per second = oh crap.
Supposedly it was possible to do 15-30 aimed shots a minute with a Lee-Enfield depending on training and experience--the record going to a British Army Sgt. named Snoxall who put 38 shots into a 12" bull in one minute from 300 yards .
Interesting to read about that cartridge, looks like it's becoming the NATO standard for sniping and is on its way to maybe being the U.S. sniper round as well.

The other issue I had was the multiple bullets in flight. Why would he shoot the second without knowing if the first hit? Why did he do that on the first perp (9 rounds), then not on the next four. If he did fire multiples on the next four, add more to the number of rounds fired (and reloads).
I don't have an issue with the feat (good job!), just the reporting stinks, IMO.

But you must have forgotten the single-bullet theory!
On Sat, 8 May 2010 01:03:04 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@mauve.rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

So, the first eight shots don't count (except when they're counted)? That's not the way it's written. Five shots (one magazine) in 28 seconds makes more sense, though why would he reload after eight shots? The story is still fishy but it does make (some) more sense your way.

The writer is not the shooter.

Duh! What an asinine statement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273679/Gone-28-seconds-Rapid-sniper-takes-Taliban-soldiers-protect-British-patrol.html
rifles the US military uses and is much lighter than a .50 caliber. A combination of an excellent rifle and a well trained sniper did its job.. Well done.

For you US folks the caliber is .338 Lapua Magnum.
Here is another sniper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
Trivia from Finland,
seismo malm

Seismo:
Not trivial whatsoever. Simo Hyh removed over 500 confirmed Russian foe using iron sights on a bolt-action rifle in a conflict where your people faced odds perhaps as steep as 100 to 1. "Motti", "Sisu" and "Hakkaa plle!" are among the words recalled from reading on the Winter War along with a particular exchange between a Soviet commander and an underling who managed to escape a motti with some of his force: "Why did you stop sending out patrols!?!" "Because they never came back."
Another reference worth citation is:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q che:WMwXlFmkQPQJ:www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/white-death-simo-hayh/20951+http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/white-death-simo-hayh/20951&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
For those interested in a clear treatment of the conflict "A Frozen Hell" is one way to start.
And--out of curiousity--is there any existing attitude residual to Sweden's unwillingness to help with materiel in that period?
By the way, that's an Earth-shaking name.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On 5/7/2010 3:16 AM, Stuart wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273679/Gone-28-seconds-Rapid-sniper-takes-Taliban-soldiers-protect-British-patrol.html Heh! More than one or two - you have a whole history of extraordinary marksmanship going back to the days of the longbow. :)
The corporal had a steady hand and a good eye - and under pressure used them well to protect his mates.
May they all return home safe and well.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

We peaceful Canucks have a few of our own too - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong

Sad end to his career in the military, too many politicians in the chain of command.

Especially here in Canada. Our politicians are a disgrace. The next election, I may actually be too ashamed of the bastards to vote for any of them.
On Fri, 07 May 2010 19:47:35 -0600, Dave Balderstone

OMG, have we infected you?
LJ, who's not looking forward to sending in his ballot in the May 18 Primary.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Nah, it started with our first commie prime minister, Pierre Trudeau, back in the late 60s and has been on a steady decline ever since.
And it's at all levels, from municipal up to federal.
As the Aussies say "All bastards are bastards, but some bastards are BASTARDS."