OT, T-Shirt Transfers.

I remember when I was young, you could put a transfer on a T-shirt by printing from the computer onto Ordinary, bog standard paper. Then, you'd mix 2 things together, paint it onto the paper and iron onto the T-shirt. I can't for the life of me remember what the two things were....

I do know they were common household things, but my mind is blank.

Any one know?

Barry

barry

When I was young, all TV's were in Black and White. I am not sure, "computer" was in my vocabulary.

Reply to
Leon

Nope. When I was young, computers were the things of the military and they took up rooms.

Reply to
CW

When I was about 11 or 12 (1955 or so) my Dad, who was in graduate school at the time, brought home an analog computer to do computations for his thesis.

About as big as footlocker, it was the first one I ever saw, and the first time I ever heard the word applied to a machine.

I was familiar with the word because prior to that my Dad had been a "computer" (one of the math whizzes who slipped a slide rule all day) on a seismograph crew when I was younger.

I remember being real interested in seeing who this "analog" guy was that Dad was bringing home.

Reply to
Swingman

I still have my log, log, deci-trig complete with leather case.

Still know how to use.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I was young I remember UHF being new. Some rich people had color a few years later. My Dad got one of those high tech calculators. A TI50 maybe. Heck it has been so long ago. One of those calculators with the red numbers he used for work as an engineer.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Although it's been years, most likely I could also. I used one exclusively all through HS/college, and then again in the Army.

Just about any decent FDC (Fire Direction Center) guy (mostly math majors and engineers during the draft years of the 60's)) could easily beat the "FADAC" (Field Artillery Digital Automatic Computer), aka "Freddie", hands down with a slide rule.

It wasn't even close.

Reply to
Swingman

I believe you can buy transfer paper at Staples, do a printout of the picture (or whatever) and iron on to your choice of clothing.

Reply to
Norvin

I had Colecovision!

Reply to
B A R R Y

We still use rotary slide rules (E6B) today when flying small airplanes. It works so well, it's a waste to pay $70 for an electronic version.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I bought one of those 4 function TI calculators with the tiny red numbers in

1972. That calculator helped me fly through Physics in college. I recall the calculator costing me 30% more than my tuition that semester.
Reply to
Leon

My first introduction was when my father started working for Coastal States gas Producing Co. in 1962. I was 7 or 8 when he took me down to the computer room with the floors that had removable tiles for cables. The computers filled the large A/C room and had those big spinning wheels like reel to reels. It was not too many years after that in the 60's that he showed me their rather crude but fast ink jet style printer.

Reply to
Leon

Never heard of what you're describing, but they do make paper that is coated in wax that you can print and transfer onto cloth with an iron. Called wax-transfer paper at the store.

Are you sure the homemade version wasn't done in a different order- like rubbing it with parafin wax, printing, and then ironing it on? I would imagine that any household chemical that will dissolve the ink out of the paper would cause the the colors and lines to bleed together before you could get it on the t-shirt. I know the wax works because the ink is on that, and it melts away when heated, releasing the ink into the cloth- it's not actually printed on the paper, just on the wax. Takes a trip through the washer before all the wax is completely gone, but it works fine.

The second thing you're thinking of might be a solvent you can mix with wax to get it soft enough to paint on that will evaporate afterwards so that it will reharden, and that's what you're remembering- but I would guess vigorously rubbing a sheet of paper with a hunk of wax might do the job. Or even just printing on wax paper from the store.

It's all speculation, though. The one time I did that for some reason or another, I just bought the special paper from the store.

Reply to
Prometheus

message

I'm from the same era, and calculators were actually banned at NJIT (then known as NCE - Newark College of Engineering) because only the wealthier students could afford them, giving them an unfair advantage. Most classrooms were equipped with giant working models of slide rules, 6-8 feet long and mounted on a wheeled wooden frame, to demonstrate basic through complex calculations in math, physics, and chemistry.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

IIRC, they were the forerunners of "product placement", as they were supplied by the manufacturers, complete with logo.

Reply to
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in news:Xw83h.1574$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Fall of 1973 I sent a month's salary on an HP pocket calculator - one of the earliest of HP's business lines. That thing lasted for 8 years or so, until graduate school. It may still be hanging around in a box somewhere in the attic. The one I bought in grad school, or it's replacement, is on the desk next to my computer now. It's still the fastest way to do first cut calculations on time and money flows. And they don't wear out, really.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Barry ... don't know about that concoction, but it's my information that you can reverse print with an inkjet or a laser and iron the pattern on ... supposedly works well enough for scroll-sawing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

And as proof, here is the one I bought in high school with the hard earned money from repairing teacher's 8 track tape players.

currently lives in the shop, for when my brain is dead. It has out-lived many newer, fancier import models.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

DUATS and the freebie AOPA flight planner do that for me, I use Excel for W&B. I'm not at all a curmudgeon.

Our GPS has electronic E6B functions available, but I still use the whiz-wheel at times, and I grew up with computers. Mine is nice enough to list the formulas right on it, so it's a tad more intuitive to use. I think it's kind of fun nailing down actual winds aloft speeds, etc...

You could always use the metal parts to hunt game during an unscheduled remote layover, ala "Survivorman". You can't use a calculator to chop up a squirrel!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Should be able to with a laser as they print on on the surface using a heat-set plastic matrix, but I'd be very surprised if that worked with an ink-jet.

Reply to
J. Clarke