(OT)supper tonight

Page 2 of 3

Pizza. The dough is rising now.

Hmmm, I admit that eating tuna fish in a turkey does seem a bit unusual but I guess you can stuff a turkey with whatever you fancy.
:-)
Last night for me it was a nice pork loin chop with chips and peas. Don't very often have a sweet/desert/pudding (whatever you guys might call it) in the week, that's usually on Sundays after the roast.
--
Stuart Winsor

"Stuart" wrote:

Popcorn.
That way when you blow the ass off you can go to a decent restaurant and eat.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

In that case stuff it with black powder. Might want to fill its mouth with cannonballs and point it at the British while you're about it.
--John

I'm afraid I have to agree with Lew. Tuna from a can smells like a public urinoir in Amsterdam.
Potato chips?? Yikes!
I guess those Lutherans will eat anything.
Robatoy wrote:

Okay... I get it now...
Lutefisk is made from air-dried or salted/dried whitefish (normally cod, but ling is also used), prepared with lye, in a sequence of particular treatments. The watering steps of these treatments differ slightly for salted/dried whitefish because of its high salt content. The first treatment is to soak the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish will swell during this soaking, attaining an even larger size than in its original (undried) state, while its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent, producing its famous jelly-like consistency. When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) has a pH value of 1112, and is therefore caustic. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked. In Finland, the traditional reagent used is birch ash. It contains high amounts of potassium carbonate and hydrocarbonate, giving the fish a more mellow treatment than would sodium hydroxide (lyestone). It is important to not incubate the fish too long in the lye, because saponification of the fish fats may occur, effectively rendering the fish fats into soap. The term for such spoiled fish in Finnish is saippuakala (soap fish).
THENNNNNNNN traditionally, people drink a boatload of Akvavit. Before, during and after eating 'soap-fish'.
Now, I have eaten raw-fresh-from-the-North-Sea herring with a couple of belts of Akvavit.
I saw the light. I have been to the mountain top.
Robatoy wrote:

It's worth looking up lutefisk on Wikipedia. Skip the recipe part and scroll down to "Humor"...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Robatoy" wrote:

Okay... I get it now...
<snip the lutefisk process>

I'll pass.
Lew

That must have been when I was under 10, 55 years ago. Thereafter there wasn't enough herring in the North Sea anymore to feed 1 Dutchman for a month, and the Dutch fishing fleet went after the Georges bank herring (or wherever). Also, because of a small parasite in the herring, ll herring is flash frozen (to kill the nasties). Nevertheless, Hollandse Nieuwe, and all other "fresh" herring is a delicacy to be consumed with some chopped onion with head tilted back, holding the raw fish by the tail. Salivating ...
--
Best regards
Han

A trawler would come into Katwijk, and we'd on the dock, diced onions on a plate, ready.... I was born and raised in Alphen Aan Den Rijn, formerly known as Castellum, a Roman Toll was there at the only bridge across the river Rhine..a little less than 2000 years ago. Every time they dig a new foundation (where they can) they usually find something interesting..sometimes bombs from WW2.
In article

By Golly!
You ought to be in the Guiness book of records :-)
--
Stuart Winsor

Why? Holland was at the Northern edge of the Roman empire. In fact, a sort of road in a hill near where I grew up was rumored to have been a Roman road. We just used it to sled down along. I have a picture of the "Holleweg" or Hollow road, see abpw in a bit.
Like Robatoy, I grew up in Holland. I moved to the US when I was 24 (J1 visa), then stayed as immigrant, and finally naturalized. Woodworking came by necessity, I couldn't afford to buy the furniture ...
Where does the Guinness book of records come in?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I knew Robatoy was an old fart, but I never suspected he was /that/ old!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Sorry, it was my slightly warped sense of humour when I came in last night after an evening spent with some good friends. It comes about by linking

with
--
Stuart Winsor

Oh!!! Now I get it. I am getting slower with increasing age.
--
Best regards
Han

Those high speed acrobatics during barn dances will do that to you <G>

Punctuation, is everything! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yea, I should have rephrased that. I guess that really stood out amongst the other posts. <EG>