OT / subversive

Page 2 of 4
(sixoneeight)@hotmail wrote:

Yep.
--
Regards,

But is their gas worth more frequent maintenance requirements because the gasoline is probably not as good as the stuff that is 3% more expensive?
Somebody wrote:
> Some stores give out cards (sort of like a credit card) with a barcode on > it. Whenever you shop in the store you can get discounts or special > prices > on items if you used the card. The "Kroger Card" is a big one around > here.
Herein SoCal, Kroger owns Ralphs which issues a Ralphs card, but it makes no difference.
Those cards are all tied to your phone number.
Mine are all tied to a business phone number.
If you are paranoid, make up a phone number.
Threw the cards away a long time ago.
Works for me.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

I always use mine, and have for years with no apparent detrimental effect to either me, my privacy, or finances ... unless I'm really missing something?
A frequent "deal" for 'cardholders' at a close by Randall's is a "six pack" of my favorite $10/bottle (same price at all stores) wine for $6/bottle ... enough "savings" on the transaction to buy a couple of steaks to go along with same.
It's even better when they, in their corporate stupidity, mistakenly and _repeatedly_ include a $17/bottle wine in the display for the same "$6/bottle cardholder special"!
I think SWMBO single-handedly caused a dip in Safeway (owner of Randall's) stock prices the last time they did that ... can you say "rainchecks"?
-- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 2/20/07
Swingman wrote:
> A frequent "deal" for 'cardholders' at a close by Randall's is a "six pack" > of my favorite $10/bottle (same price at all stores) wine for $6/bottle ... > enough "savings" on the transaction to buy a couple of steaks to go along > with same.
Hasn't "two buck chuck" found it's way to your part of the world yet?
Not a consumer of the grape, but the 99 cent stores are selling wine which I'm told is acceptable.
The Merlot makes a pretty good marinade.
Lew

Pah. That stuff's overpriced.
--
Regards,
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Heard about it, but haven't seen/tried it.

Acceptable to who? ... no registered coonass is that declasse' as to partake of 99 cent wine, cher!!

Me, I like Pinot Noir to chase a steak and mushrooms marinated in Merlot. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Swingman wrote:

Check it out, bottled under the Charles Shaw label.
The guy who bottles it is a total shit disturber, which is why he sells it for $2 retail.
Loves to rattle the cage of the rest of the California vineyards.
Lew

BUT CAN YOU DIP YOUR POPSICLE in it?????
"Leon" wrote in message

Excellent point ... to not be able to do so would be a show stopper!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

I bet Lew had not even considered that. :~)
Leon wrote:
> I bet Lew had not even considered that. :~)
If it comes from the grape, it's rot gut, IMHO.
Now if you want to talk about single malt or good beer, that's another matter.
Lew

I never was much up on wine either but now that I have to closely watch my blood sugar I find that I can drink a lot more wine than beer or liquor. I usta prefer and only drank Fosters and straight whiskey. Now it's wine and sugar free popsicles for dippin. ;~)

They like to know how to target ads to users. You might get flyers in the mail that fit a profile of shoppers like you.
writes:

So getting an ad with a sale price is a bad thing? You certainly still have the choice of following up on the ad or not. It's boils down to being responsible for your control over impulses and purchases.

While I am a privacy advocate, I'm not sure what dangers there are on pure loyalty cards. Store-based credit cards do allow purchase tracking of individuals, and yes they do analyze your purchase habits.
Stores like Home Depot, Lowes etc., like to be able to target offers based on your previous purchases. But they already have your credit information.
A big danger with any store that uses credit cards is the danger of their database being hacked (like TJ Max). That's my biggest concern.
A pure loyalty card is a different issue. If there's no credit card info associated with it, then they can analyze your purchase habits as an individual (which is easy), or they can try to correlate your name and address with other database entries (which is very very difficult).
Think about tracking a woman's name before and after marriage, and the many variations. Think of nicknames, juniors, etc. It's hard to correlate data based on names and addresses.
I think it's more likely that tracking of an individual account gived them insight of "typical" users.
For instance, I have two loyalty cards for a bookstore. I only use one, but get e-mail to both. The account I don't use gets better coupons.
But as I use it, it tells them which coupons I respond do. I'm much more likely to buy a paperback book when I have a 25% coupon (w/no minimum purchase), than if I have a %15 coupon with a minimum purchase of $20.
"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

If they track what I buy at the grocery store, it's gotta bore the crap out of them.
Besides, I'm starting to think that in many retail corporations these days the mentality is well on its way to being too damn stupid to use the results of any "tracking", not to mention that they routinely fool/screw themselves if that's the case.
For instance, last night I bought Atlantic Salmon, normally around $8+/lb, for $4/lb because it had been mis-tagged "Catfish", and rang up that way at the register, not to mention there was another $1.60 off "catfish" for cardholders.
I mean, if you work in the meat department and can't tell the difference between salmon and catfish??
Similar things happen two or three times a week at this one store. As I mentioned before, recently at this same store we "saved" over $400 on 36 bottles of wine because they repeatedly, and mistakenly, included a $17 bottle of wine in the display at the front of the store for their "Six pack wine special" for cardholders.
And that was the third time they've done the EXACT same thing in the past year ... a "savings" to me alone of over $1200 for the three occurrences.
At those savings, they can track away all they want ... besides, preponderance of junk mail these days is pre-approved credit card offers and tool catalogues from places where I've purchased online, nothing on wine, or catfish, yet. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

No kidding and an excellent example of your observation that you run into a lot of people that are educated way beyond their intelligence. Typically in the past, a store or relatively small company would contract with an outside computer company to handle all their computing needs and inventories. As the computer became more accepted in business the tasks were turned over to the store employees but the out side company still controlled/provided the software and how the computer would operate. Many of those in management positions would be clueless with what to do with all that available data the was at their disposal. Many grocery stores are just now starting to catch up with where the automotive industry was 20 years ago concerning the use of the computer. It's funny to walk into a store and realize what is going on and what you are watching is how we used to do it in the old days.

A classic case of not being procedurally organized and not having a safe guard in place to prevent costly mistakes.

"Swingman" wrote in message

That is funny. A typical example of people just going through the motions. Both the meatcutter and the clerk did not notice (or know) the difference between catfish and salmon. Which has got to be some kinda cultural meltdown for a Southerner.
A question, do southern boys really eat salmon? Ain't it blasphemy to eat that Yankee fish? :)

I don't dare tell my wife about the great wine six pack special. She would drive all the way to Texas to take advantage of those kinds of savings.
And to think that you saved $1200 on wine this past year..........., and never invited any of us over.
Where is that famous Southern Hospitality? ;)

If you live near the gulf coast you'll eat just about anything that comes out of the water. Even those minature Lobsters.

Krogers offers a similar deal. IIRC 6 bottles gets you a 10% discount.