OT: Stun guns rendered useless by new fabric

Page 1 of 2

Anything one man can invent, another man can circumvent.
If you plan on getting Tasered, here's just the thing to wear!
http://news.com.com/Polyester+fabric+neutralizes+stun+gun+jolt/2100-1008_3-6057801.html?tag=nefd.top
dave
That'll do it. Cop "stun guns" you and you don't fall down. Cop, then, "real guns" you, then you do fall down.

http://news.com.com/Polyester+fabric+neutralizes+stun+gun+jolt/2100-1008_3-6057801.html?tag=nefd.top
Sounds logical to me :)

Are you listening, Rodney?????

Gooey TARBALLS wrote:

dave
Ya know.....If given the option of being tazed, shot with a rubber bullet, or shot with a good ol lead bullet....The question begs WHY ARE YOU BEING SHOT IN THE FIRST PLACE?
Normally the police don't want to even draw their weapons let alone use them.
But I digress....
About the issue of "shock proof" fabric...Have you seen the "probe/conductor" that the guns shoot? I'm thinking that they're still gonna hurt like a mother going in, fabric or no fabric. And if the they taze you and that doesn't work, the next step will probably be some wonderful baton work. Ooooh there's an appealing thought....
Normally the police don't want to even draw their weapons let
Ho, boy, where do you live?
They've shot and killed half a dozen civilians in my town - one in his living room chair!

Gooey TARBALLS wrote:

I think it's more important I find out where you live Tar....I wanna stay outta that burg. ;-)
bremen68 wrote:

dave

Most police officers are frustrated music conductors anyway - baton practice is a good thing.
Vic Baron wrote:

Dave
It's more fun when the cop wants to Taser you but grabs the wrong gun from her belt. And when the cop's employer gets involved, it becomes downright hilarious!
"All comedy is tragedy that happens to someone else."
http://www.stellaawards.com/sample.html
A California police officer had the suspect from a minor disturbance handcuffed in the back of her patrol car. When the man started to kick at the car's windows, the officer decided to subdue him with her Taser. Incredibly, instead of pulling her stun gun from her belt, she pulled her service sidearm and shot the man in the chest, killing him instantly. The city, trying to protect its budget, says the killing is not the officer's fault, but rather "any reasonable police officer" could make such a mistake, slurring every police officer who actually paid attention to their training. The city filed suit against Taser, arguing the company should pay for any award from the wrongful death lawsuit the man's family filed against the cop.
Gooey TARBALLS wrote:

Has anyone tried reading "stun guns" in reverse?
cdo
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 05:12:20 GMT, "Gooey TARBALLS"

David wrote:

http://news.com.com/Polyester+fabric+neutralizes+stun+gun+jolt/2100-1008_3-6057801.html?tag=nefd.top
Wouldn't surprise me to see police lobby to ban this fabric from general use, just as they've successfully banned tinted car windows in many jurisdictions. It's an officer safety issue, y'know.
On 4/6/2006 3:15 PM Dhakala mumbled something about the following:

If you read the website, you would know that it is sold only to police forces to prevent then from being hit with their own tazers.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Odinn wrote:

Dave

... as somebody else pointed out, that's kind of a stupid idea if you happen to be one of those "wrong hands". You think after the taser doesn't work, the cop is going to throw up his hands, say, "well, you got me buddy, run along!"? More than likely he's going to pull out the real hardware and make the person fall down permanently.

Someone ought to read the deadly force policy again.
Is this group really so obtuse as to think that deadly force is anything but a last - and often too late - resort? The purpose of a taser is to gain control without risking the officer. He's at enough risk as it is.
For the rest, take a trip down to booking on some semi-quiet night and learn how much self-control you really have as the fifteenth drunken moron spits on you....

My wife has a cousin who is a San Diego County deputy sheriff. He told me that when they changed from 9mm's to 40 SW's they also had to upgrade their body armor. They realize they are as likely to be fired on by their own weapons as ones already held by bad guys.